I know everyone has thought this at least once….

• natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

c’mon….. you know you’ve thought it before

-kevin

gobbler
    Central, MN

LMFAO!!

I always think that my tree stand would wobble or give way in the process and I wouldn’t make it to the tree and fall down to the ground “belly flop” style.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Hilarious!!! I think about that just in case my stand breaks. But then again that’s what safety harnesses are for

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

AWESOME!!

I actually did it once!! I was up only about 10′ and there was a straight pole birch about 4′ from me. I couldn’t wait for my bro in law to show up after the hunt (My stand was on his way back from the truck) so I could try it. Slid down that sucker like a firefighter pole! SO, I got that out of my system But since then I find myself jussst wondering if it could be done again given the right proximity!

Besox

I was just pondering that thought this weekend between a pine and a birch!!! Awesome

fast1
    hastings mn

I was thinking my fat @$% would snap the small tree in front of my stand and go right threw me.May as well just fall.

timmy

You got me…..I have had that thought many times.

Laughed out loud at this post….

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Not only have I been there and thought that, but I have been there and tried that! It was much more difficult than originally anticipated!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s funny. And yes I have.

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

Not only have I been there and thought that, but I have been there and tried that! It was much more difficult than originally anticipated!

You can’t just throw this out there without a few details. The visual I’ve got is pretty funny. It’s hard to believe people think us South Dakotans are rednecks…

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Quote:

You can’t just throw this out there without a few details. The visual I’ve got is pretty funny. It’s hard to believe people think us South Dakotans are rednecks…

I’m going to look like an idiot but I’m going to tell you anyway.

I had a spot where I wanted to hang a stand, but like a lot of trees in my part of South Dakota the trees are not quite big enough to hang a stand on very safely. After picking out the tree I wanted to hang the stand in it was obvious it wasn’t going to be the most safe stand ever but it was going to have to do because in central SD we don’t have a lot of trees to choose from.

So I crawled up in the tree and started hanging the stand. Right away I could see this was a bad idea but there was no other option so I just proceeded with hanging the stand. After all I had seen a big buck using this trail a couple times so it would all be worth it…. right? After finally getting the stand situated 15 foot up around the pop can size tree trunk I stepped on the platform. It was leaning away from the tree even more severely than I had anticipated. It was leaning so bad I couldn’t let go of the tree without falling off the platform. A quick glance around at the other trees close by and I realized I had no other option and I had to make this work. So in my 15 year old infinite wisdom I decided to cut a log and wedge it under the bottom part of the treestand, against the tree stunk, so the platform would be closer to level. I cut a log and wedged it under the bottom of the stand against the tree. All worked well….at first! First foot on the platform was no problem, it seemed flat and stable. So without hesitation I climbed on with both feet and did a “little jump” to make sure it was solid…..it wasn’t! That “little jump” caused all hell to break loose! The log I had cut and slid under the bottom of the stand slid out and the stand shifted real quick and I mean real quick! As I started to fall off the platform I was grabbing anything and everything I could but all I was coming up with was air. As a last option before I fell completely off the platform I looked in front of me at the next tree across from the stand and thought “I’ll just jump to that one.” Easier said than done! As I bent my knees and pushed off the platform to jump to the next tree the force from me pushing off the stand broke the tree trunk that I had the stand hung on! (Remember at the beginning I said the trunk was only as big around as a pop can. Seemed insignificant when hanging the stand but now it had become quite vital) When the trunk broke I fell straight down and my feet never even left the stand! I ended up falling to the ground hitting my shoulder first. I immediately rolled over on my back to catch my breath and make sure I wasn’t to buggered up. Thankfully my 15 year old body was still pretty indestructible because I walked away with nothing more than a scratch and a bruised ego.

I never did kill that deer

kooty
    Keymaster

Anyone who has tried putting up a stand in our trees in SD can relate. And, I’m laughing WITH you…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.