Trail cam picture management?

• todders
    Shoreview, MN

I was wondering what some you deer growers do with all the trailcam photos you get? How do you keep them organized and track a specific deers growth through the years to identify them? Is there a software program or app available? If left to my own ideas I will probably make 4 folders for each year 1.5-2.5, 2.5-3.5, 3.5-4.5 and older and one for all other keepers. . This will take a rediculous amount of time and was hoping for some tips, ideas or thoughts about a project like this. I see clips of highly organized hunters throughout certain shows and want to step my game up a bit . Thanks!

gobbler
    Central, MN

I used to keep all the photos from one farm or pc of property in a folder for a specific year. Now i do it differently and it is easier to keep track of.

I learned the following from Brad. Name each and every 2.5+ yr old buck. After naming each buck, every time you get a pic of that buck you put the pic in that particular bucks folder. Brad will take it even farther then that and will categorize bucks as 2.5, 3.5, etc. That way he can identify which buck is considered a shooter before even heading out on a hunt.

I’m not sure if Brad does the next step that I have added to his process? I take and put all the pics in order based on date and time.

I will be the first to admit. Before doing it this way I was more confused with comparing deer from one year to the next. Now, it’s really a non issue as each buck is easier to identify.

The best advantage to this system is when hunting with a group. Instead of getting back from an morning or evening sit and saying; “I saw that nice 10 pt”. You can say; “I saw Rocket”. And everyone in the group knows which buck you are talking about.

Btw, thanks Brad!!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

I have farm folders, each pic is labeled and placed into that farms folder, each buck gets a name and generaly 3 pics, head on and side to side if possible. Being that I switch farms most weeks its not really hard to remember who is where from week to week but the next fall its fun to pull out the old pics. The only reason I print pics is to show those who hunt wth me which deer we are after. I cant get hung up on one deer as in the ag land the rut can find them 10 miles away and a whole new push of bucks I have never seen, lack of pics will NEVER prevent me from shooting the neighbors buck if he is 3.5 or older I prefer to shoot deer I dont have pics of as I grow atttatched to some bucks after watching them grow all season even year to year.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Ricco covered it very well! Just another tip is to sequentially renumber the pics so they fall in the rotation of which you got the buck on camera. This is extremely important when you are trying to figure out his routine so you can pattern him. If you don’t renumber them, they will fall into whatever the number of the pic or video in which it was taken.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.