Mineral recipes???

• coppertop
    Central MN

With a few Fleet Farm gift cards burning a hole in my pocket I thought I’d stock up on some minerals. I’ve always just bought the 50lb trace mineral blocks and busted them up with a maul. What are some of your favorite homemade mineral mixes? Thanks in advance, Randy

abster71
    crawford county WI

redmond trace mineral is the same as the trophy rock just in granualar form 50lbs for 10.00.

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/SJU

coppertop
    I make my own and have good success. The most important thing with mineral is seems to be placement. My best mineral licks are all back in cover where deer feel secure and will visit throughout the day. Especially in the spring/summer. I have noticed a significant drop in Mineral use after the middle of September, not just by bucks, but by does and fawns also. The recipe i use is fairly cheap and makes a lot of product. Also my best sites are in areas that seem to hold a little more moisture in the ground versus areas that are dryer.
    40% Di-Calcium Phosphate
    40% Trace Mineral Salt
    20% Block salt, which i make sure to purchase in the granular form.
    Mix all of it together, and I usually put out around 15 pounds at each site. Also make sure to mix into the dirt when applying.

littlefishy
    Ellsworth, WI

My deer seem to enjoy this recipe…

2 parts calcium
    2 parts 2-1 (calcium and phosphorous)
    1 part trace minerals.

All can be purchased at Fleet Farm for a very nominal cost compared to pre-made varieties.

DONOTDELETE

With the trace minerals you are getting almost all salt. The deer will definetly eat it but it does not give them much minerals or vitamins. If you have an area that is somewhat sandy the minerals will leach into the ground, that is where you will have your big holes from the deer pawing up and even eating the dirt. If it is more clay or loamy they will pretty much just eat the minerals.

xecute

Ahhh… Mineral recipes. One of my favorite topics.

As part of one of my jobs I have had to study this subject. I have read a ton of studies on the subject as well and have really looked at whats out there and what I find is amazing.

I guess the first question you have to ask yourself is what are you trying to accomplish and is this a long term plan or a short term plan. Contrary to what you’ll find on the shelves, calcium and phospohorous do not grow antlers so don’t let the market lie to you. Most home made mixes are salt/sodium with di-cal and phosphorous. Salt is a great attractant and definetly something they need in their diet but the average deer does not need a Ca or P supplement. If its antlers your after focus on two things… health and proteins.

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

Dont stop now,keep going execute!

xecute

Quote:

Dont stop now,keep going execute!

I better not… This is a sensitive subject

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.