Another grueling season!

• Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Nice report John!

That’s a pretty big smile your daugther is sporting.
    Sounds like you two had a great day together.

Boog

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Congrats on a good day on the water with your daughter!
    Thats smile is “Priceless”

coppertop
    Central MN

Today has marked the 68th day of season I have spent in the stand and while I see deer every day “The One” has not been seen. Up until now the best I have had the opportunity to take has been a 10pt that would only score 120ish. My second has been a 120ish 8pt. While I know a successful hunt is not measured in inches I just couldn’t bring myself to end the life of such an incredible animal which I’ve come to respect more than some people I meet nowdays. After having one properties fields plowed up I’m basically limited to 2 pieces and one is 3 hours north while the other is 5min from my house. I’m lucky enough to have this piece because it always has action and a high population of deer and keeps me going back. My hind end is dragging and is getting beat a little harder with each day of racing home from work early, showering, grabbing my gear and hitting the woods. With just a month left of season I’m again beginning to except the fact that “tag soup” may be in my future and it’s slowly but surely becoming somewhat o.k. with me. I figure so far at this point roughly 25 different bucks have safely made their way past me and countless does and fawns. My teamates “Pat gut Howard” and “Topheavy” have, well you all have seen what those two are capable of! Guy’s trust me I’m trying to live up to your standards. Anyway, I’m not looking for any sympathy, just sorta reviewing my season thus far. No complaints from me because after all it’s called hunting for a reason. While it’s wearing me down I’m loving every minute of it and still dreaming of a “buck of lifetime” Here are some pics of why we all cannot get enough of this priviledge of being in their woods. p.s. Also some of our new neighbors up north with new enclosed stands that they drove their trucks right under so all they had to do is climb their ladders, one day he must have been just too darned tired to climb all 10 rungs of his ladder. Yeah, I’m just looking for excuses why I didn’t see a shooter. Sorry for all the rambling and wishing everybody else still banging their heads for thier dream buck “BEST OF LUCK!” For those who already filled your tags, to you!

lick

Great Pics Randy

I have no doubt you have and will give it your all.Don’t worry about Top heavy and myself we need someone to blame

Good Luck bud for the rest of the season You never know . . .

Didn’t you milk last season for all it was worth

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Your time will come Randy! Remember last year I believe that the movement will start picking up with more snow to come in December. On the bright side, look at how much more in shape you are now hunting 70+ days in a row , losing weight because of it, etc When you get bummed out there is nothing wrong w/ taking a doe to lift your spirits back up You might be sick of hunting but i cannot wait to get back in the stand every night after my final semester at River Falls is over Youre the hardest hunter i know

coppertop
    Central MN

Few more.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Great pictures and re-cap Randy I’m sure you’ll find what your looking for, look at last year I’m kind of in the same boat. I know the bucks I’m after are around just after hours Ow well it’s a great time. The biggest buck I’ve had in front of me is a 120’s 9pter. But ya never know it only takes 30 sec. Gd luck to ya I know I’ll be out til Dec 31 and I guarantee you will be 2

Keep your head up Randy, it sounds like there is a few of us in your position right now.

There’s still a month to go, and from the looks of your pictures, you have the ultimate ace up your sleeve come late season…Food!

Good luck!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

GREAT PICS!! I sang the same song to a buddy tonite and then told myself it only takes 15 seconds to change everything, man is that true!! I wish you the best of luck as the most brutal 3rd of the season rolls in.

gobbler
    Central, MN

Randy……. I don’t know how you do it? I do recall more then once getting a phone call during smoke pole season. I’ll never forget helping you track and getting shocked by a hot fence. You stayed on that 2.5 yr old buck for three days to finally bring him down and you didn’t even shoot him to begin with. You did it because it was the right thing to do Your dedication and appreciation for whitetails is second to none. Keep at it (like you always do). Good luck the rest of the season

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Good luck! Sounds like you are doing everything you can possibly do to be successfull. I am in the same boat as you I passed way to many good bucks early this year Now I can’t see anything bigger than a 1.5 year old buck

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Hey Randy, Protour is right on…Blast a doe! Maybe even donate it to the foodshelf before the holidays? Have some fun and bring the mojo back to your hunt 60+ days of hunting is a commitment . Some of my best hunts are going into the woods with the intention of dropping the hammer on a doe. Thats about as exciting as it gets and when you least expect it….
    That food plot still rocks Good luck down the stretch!!

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

No doubt the most dedicated hunter I know as well! Keep at it Randy and we all appreciate the updates. One of these days when I text you that I have a feeling you’re gonna drop a pig, it’s going to happen. BTW, didn’t you down your deer the last week of ML last year? And he didn’t show up on any cameras all year. Like they said, it’s takes 30 seconds and everything changes! Good luck!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.