Adult doe ID tip

• big_g
    Isle, MN

It is hot now !!! Welcome aboard !!!

big G

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Welcome to IDO Jim!

Thanks for knocking this dust off this forum.

Sully

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

We have been hunting earn-a-buck for many years in Richland county.

We have to shot a doe to earn a buck and when this first started I was guilty of shooting yearling does and nubbins because they were by themselves and had nothing to compare size to and felt bad when I walked up and there is a deer that I could put over my shoulder and carry out.

A tip someone told me was to look at the head of the deer from the side and the head should be longer then the height of the head for it to be a adult doe, and by god it works.

I’m no bio guy but as the deer ages the jaw and nose area grows in length which explains why when you age a deer you count it’s teeth.

I hope this helps if you are filling the freezer with a doe (which tastes better anyway) so the young ones have a chance.

Good luck and BE SAFE

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Are you still earn a buck this year? I thought they did away with that state wide?

Interesting tip, I will try and use it this weekend, thanks.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Its still earn a buck in the CWD zone.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Personaly I will take a young doe over an old one for 2 reasons:
    1) quality of meat
    2) a mature doe will most likely have 2 fawns in a farmland spring whereas a young doe will mostlikly have only one

My point is you remove one mouth for the winter but get 2 deer for the herd in the spring.

I have great luck IDing lone deer by looking at the lenght of the nose, if it looks like the ear could fold over and be flush with the end of the nose or even longer than the nose then its a fawn forsure! good luck and be safe over there boys!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I had a doe come in last week in SD. I swear she was barely bigger than the twins with her. My buddy and I both passed on her that weekend. This will be a good tip to try out.

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Good One GARVI Thanks For Sharing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.