Cutting it close with ammo LOL!

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Im Deer hunting this year after several years off. I have 8 rounds of 30-06 ammo. Ill be going to the range and taking 1 shot hopefully to confirm my zero hasn’t changed. Fingers crossed. 2 rounds are core-lokt and 6 are something with green tips that I dont recall buying…… jester My gun was sighted in with the Remington’s. I better get to the range soon so I have time to find something should my zero be off. Im betting its not though. That zero hasnt moved in 30 years. Leupold Vari X2.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

If things don’t work out, I have some misc 30-06 rounds you could have for free. I Also don’t know make model or grain…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks. Ill keep that in mind if things get scarce. I’m hunting in thick cover so I wont have any long shots. Brand wont matter regardless of what I get. Im just not sure about those Federal green tipped devils. Maybe more for range than expansion? Worst case scenario I could use the old 30-30. I have lots of that. But with my old eyes I really need to use the scope. And nothing says dead deer like my trusty old Ruger M-77.

Gitchi Gummi

I just bought a box of 30-06 ammo off of rogers sporting goods website last week. Looks like they have two different kinds available for sale on their website right now. Granted, the prices are inflated, but that is what you’re seeing everywhere these days. Beggars can’t be choosers these days.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds good. Ill look into that. I fully expect to pay up to $40 a box.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yes, you are cutting it close, but you might be good for next year too! Hope the best for ya!

I just had 120 slugs delivered because I figured many people would be short that I hunt with. Told a buddy of mine I have some of if he needs and he said “I’ll take 40!”
    I looked at him with rolled eyes and said, “you need to practice shoot 39x? Cuz you don’t need that many to hunt deer fella!! Every opportunity I get to razz him for missing or wounding I take full advantage of. I may need to take him to the range to shoot trap before I’ll give him slugs cuz more slugs is NEVER the answer lol. Some kids. I’m not even sure he should get slugs at all. Boy can’t hit squat!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Im just not sure about those Federal green tipped devils

Is it possible they are ballistic tip rounds? I use Winchester ballistic silver tip rounds for my 7mm-08 now but at one point I tried a box that had green tips like you speak of.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Arent green tips armor piercing? Steel core?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It’s a polymer. Pretty sure they are for hunting and were supposed to aid in accuracy. I’ve never shot a deer with them. I’ll use the one core lokt on a buck and then green on a doe. Lol All the deer I have shot were with nosler partition or core lokts. I’ve never lost a deer I’ve shot with a gun. Hopefully I keep than run going forever.

deertracker

Box has 17 rounds in it. Yours if you want. I think I still owe you from when we had beers.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 20211004_205347-scaled.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks man. Ill let you know. I am kinda having fun with the idea of having so few rounds. Ideally my sights are unchanged so I use one shot for target and one shot per animal. I may have enough for years!!! LOL Ill know more after I test.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I have 0 rounds left for the 30-06. I’ll let you know if Fleet Farm has any ammo for it.

dbright
    Cambridge

I am pretty sure I have two boxes of 30.06 ammo at the house if someone is unable to find some.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You guys are great. Same for me with 30-30. If anyone’s hunt is in jeopardy I can spare some. Now 12 gauge pheasant rounds is a different story……. whistling
    me no obla the englay…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is ridiculous with the ammo shortage. 30-06 is probably the most popular big game rifle out there and there is almost none to be found.

CaptainMusky

Try looking for 243. I couldnt find a single box in 3 stores. My 12 year old shoots a 243 and I have been using the same box since my oldest (now 20) shot that gun, but after each year range shoots we are only down to a handful. The gun has only been fired at a deer twice once it didnt fire because the heavy grease that came with it from the factory got too cold and the firing pin just dimpled the primer. Kid was major ticked!

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

OK son in law was at scheels in eden prairie yesterday. They had lots of 12 gauge 6 shot federal. And lots of 243 picked a case of 12 gauge 6 shot. 20.99 box

ajw

ammoseek.com

Reef W

Scheels has both Terminal Ascent and Barnes TSX 30-06, lots of it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Scheels has both Terminal Ascent and Barnes TSX 30-06, lots of it.

I saw that today too.

Shotgun ammo was still slim pickings though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.