Costa Sunglasses

• red89
    Hudson

I usually just buy cheap sunglasses, but I can get Costa’s for 30% off, is this a decent deal, or are there better deals out there?
    I think I want the 580G Green Mirror lens based on reviews I have read, but don’t know which frames. Any recommendations? I know its tough without actually trying them on.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Hi, I’m Ryan, and I am a sunglasses addict.

30% off on a pair of Costas ain’t bad. You might be able to find cheaper, but I would say you would be limited on selection.

580G with green mirror are sweet. I have a pair. They’re great. I also have a pair of 400G in green mirror and 400G in amber. They’re really nice, too. The biggest difference I notice between the 580G and 400G is that the 580Gs are noticeably lighter.

Frame comes down to face size/shape and personal preference. If you’re unsure, I would go to a retailer and try on some frames to find what you like. Then, order from whatever source gets you the discount.

Some people don’t see the value in good glasses, but my oldest pair of Costas is 10+ years old, and they still look new, so that’s justification enough for me! )

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have three different pairs of Fathoms with 580g lenses. Green mirror, blue mirror, and amber. The best deals I have found have been on Ebay. If you check it daily you can find them sometimes as low as $149 new in box from reputable sellers.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Interesting topic.I need some high quality prescription sunglasses.
    Is that an option with Costas?

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I couldn’t imagine life without Costas (first world problems…I know) but it’s hard to go back to cheapos. I’ve had Blue Mirror, Green Mirror and Copper 580s, in the Cut, Brine, and Cocos. I’ve got a larger noggin and they all fit fine, with the best being the Cut. The Cocos had a metal frame with those nose piece things, and I wasn’t a huge fan.

I can’t say I’ve had done the P lenses but I’ve heard from numerous people they wish they would have done glass because of the scratch resistance.

The blue and green mirror 580s are great but if I would do another pair I couldn’t help going with the straight copper again. I noticed I could muskie fish all the way until sunset and still have enough light to wear my shades, rather than the mirroring which definitely cut down on light. I would suggest spending the money and getting the 580s, well worth it!

Costa definitely does prescription sunglasses.

https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sunglasses/prescription

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I have a 15 year old pair of amber lenses and bought a pair of 580G in blue mirror last year. These will last a life time if you take good care of them. Put them back in the case every time you take them off your head.

In my opinion the amber work much better for sight fishing on cloudier days and the blue mirror for brighter days. I am sure the green is very good also.

I would suggest you buy them in person so you can try on the different styles. You definitely want them to fit correctly when you spend this kind of money. A very good investment in my opinion.

Brandon Brackey

All I can tell you is to buy them off of sierratradingpost.com. A lady at work turned me on to this, I bought my Fiance a set of Costa’s so she quits wearing mine and after signing up for the newsletter I was able to pick them up for $70 (something like a $180 msrp). I will say having worn a couple nice sets of Costa sunglasses that they are nice, but my buddies Smith glasses with real glass are my favorite and would be my next set if I needed another.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I can’t say I’ve had done the P lenses but I’ve heard from numerous people they wish they would have done glass because of the scratch resistance.

My wife has some of the 400P lenses. They’ve held up well, but not as well as my glass lenses.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I will say having worn a couple nice sets of Costa sunglasses that they are nice, but my buddies Smith glasses with real glass are my favorite and would be my next set if I needed another.

I have a pair of Smiths. I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

692fisherman
    champlin mn

sun glasses are the only thing I will never leave at the dock… I think for most types of fishing they are the most important thing you can have!!

and costas are my hands down fav.!!! plus there repair center is top notch and cheap….. new bow on my glasses was like 13$ plus a few $ for shipping!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you do lots of sight fishing look into the Silver Mirror 580. I own both a triple Tail in Blue Mirror and a Fathom in Silver Mirror and both are great but I think the silver mirror works better for sight fishing. I also think they look better for normal everyday wear. Spend the $ for Costa – You will be happy that you did.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Man-O-war with 580G in mirror green. Worth every penny! After a year, not a scratch on those glass lenses. Plastic lenses rarely lasted me a few months.

red89
    Hudson

Tried Brine, Caballito, Zane, and jose frames at Dicks today. Jose seemed to fit the best and I liked the size of the lens. Brine fit really well, but the lens size seemed to small to me.
    Wish there was a store where they were not locked in a case and you could try them on without a sales person breathing down your neck, but have never found one.

I did check out sierra trading, but the selection was extremely limited, especially if you are looking for the 580G lens. I’ll probably go with my deal, but ebay does look to be the other best option for anyone else looking for a pair.
    Now just to decide what color lens, thanks for the info.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

must be nice. I have a hard time justifying $150 for a new rod. I use Walmart polarized sunglasses for ~ $15 dollars. Works for me. If I want wrap around it’s $25 dollars from the optician.

red89
    Hudson

must be nice. I have a hard time justifying $150 for a new rod. I use Walmart polarized sunglasses for ~ $15 dollars. Works for me. If I want wrap around it’s $25 dollars from the optician.

moon

joc
    Western and Central, NY

To Red89 enjoy your designer sunglasses. Your icon says a lot about you, I’ll leave it at that.

red89
    Hudson

People have a right to spend their money however they want Joc. As you can see from the other very helpful comments I received from IDO members, they find Costa Sunglasses to be a very valuable piece of equipment.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

I think you took my comment to seriously. It was more of a joke. I spend hundreds – thousands on fishing every year if you bundle in the boat maintenance and supplies. Wasn’t meant to insult you.
    I agree the forum can be helpful.

shamus
    Inactive

I used to agree with you Joc and would mock people for buying expensive shades. Then I received a pair of Costas and realized what I was missing. Probably the best fitting, nicest sunglasses I’ve ever owned. They’re worth every penny. To compare them to walmart specials is just silly.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

People frequently balk at what I pay for sunglasses. “I’d never spend that because I’d lose them or sit on them,” they say. To which I respond, well, don’t you think you’d be a little more careful with them if you spent $150+ on them???

My wife was in that boat. I bought her a pair of Costas 7-8 years ago, and she’s still got them. )

Brandon Brackey

Looks like we got a little off topic here, I agree 100% with Ralph on this one. I was wearing the $20 specials for quite a while but now I could not go back. Plus, if you are like me you will wear them everyday. Good luck, keep your stick on the ice.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.