Converting remote steer motor to tiller control

• royalfish

I am wanting to re-power my tiller boat and came across a decent deal on a remote steer motor. Is it possible/feasible to convert a remote steer motor over to a tiller handle? The motor is a 2001 90HP Mercury 4-stroke.

Thoughts?

milemark_714

These motors shipped from the factory as remote models,so converting is as simple as locating the tiller kit.I don’t think the”big tiller”will fit that old of an outboard?But for the most part,it is plug and play.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Expect close to $1000 for the tiller arm and install… IIRC. It has been a while since I have looked into this.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

might be easier finding a donor motor,blown up etc..

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Check around with Lybecks, Nelson or some of the other guys who sell a lot of Mercs. Somebody may have something laying around.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve looked at converting a console steer to a tiller before as well. Very difficult to be able to do it such that it is cost-effective. Even used tiller handles go for $$$, so to get it to pay versus just buying a tiller, you need to get the outboard at a very steep discount.

This is the old difference between what can be done and what can be done within reasonable cost constraints.

Grouse

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I’ve looked at converting a console steer to a tiller before as well. Very difficult to be able to do it such that it is cost-effective. Even used tiller handles go for $$$, so to get it to pay versus just buying a tiller, you need to get the outboard at a very steep discount.

This is the old difference between what can be done and what can be done within reasonable cost constraints.

Grouse

Can you imagine the needle in a haystack that trying to find a used (running) 90hp tiller might be?

HRG

royalfish

I did a little digging and I see that the handles themselves cost around $1k or so on Ebay. That is insane for what it is…how could it cost even a couple hundred bucks for that thing!

I guess if you can find a motor discounted steeply enough it may make sense. However, as HRG stated (maybe sarcastically) finding a used 90HP 4-stroke tiller for a reasonable amount of money is rather difficult. I will continue the search!

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I did a little digging and I see that the handles themselves cost around $1k or so on Ebay. That is insane for what it is…how could it cost even a couple hundred bucks for that thing!

I guess if you can find a motor discounted steeply enough it may make sense. However, as HRG stated (maybe sarcastically) finding a used 90HP 4-stroke tiller for a reasonable amount of money is rather difficult. I will continue the search!

royalfish,
    Honestly, I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic. I’ve been in the tiller game for a long time, and like to think that I’ve got a handle (pun intended) on the popularity of what you are looking for.

So, in a nutshell, exactly what are you looking for, and what is your budget? Does it have to be a 90, does it have to be a 4S?

HRG

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

Grouse

Can you imagine the needle in a haystack that trying to find a used (running) 90hp tiller might be?

HRG

If you insist on only a 90 hp Mercury, you’re making it really hard on yourself. I assumed some brand and hp flexibility, but if the 90 is the only one under consideration,that will be hard to find.

But to my point converting a running 90 horsepower console model won’t be any cheaper.

Grouse

royalfish

HRG, Grouse,

No, I am not only looking for a Mercury. I am generally open to about anything with the parameters being 75-90 HP and must be a 4-stroke. I would actually really like a Honda as that is what my dad has on his boat (200HP) and it is a sweet runner. However, I think that may be a needle in a haystack scenario.

I keep looking for a used 4-stroke to re-power and keep telling myself I may as well just upgrade to a boat with a 4-stroke on it as it would probably be a better option. I have a Warrior V177 and there aren’t a ton of those that come on the market though, so I am a little stuck. I’d like to go to an 1890 but that is more $$ and storage will become an issue for me.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Have you checked with foster bros in Delano, MN? Not sure where you are located but they are a Honda premier dealer. Not sure if they have any demos laying around?

deertracker

There was a really nice Suzuki 80 horse tiller on the Minneapolis Craigslist for a while.
    DT

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have the same boat… a 177 warrior tiller… can you put a 90 on it… I should look… I was planning on upgrading to 70 or 75 Yamaha next year. Figured I would just buy new, as the rest of the boat is in excellent shape, and the cost of a newer or new boat is crazy. I was quoted about 4-5K to trade up motors, because my 75 merc 2 STROKE TILLER will be very desirable to guys running bigger duck boats on the river. Main reason is it has the tiller handle on it, so if the guy the buys it is running a wheel, it is simple to remove the tiller arm and convert to a counsel.

My main concern is being able to keep the power steering and the hole shot. Now my boat jumps up out of the water. If I go to a 4 stroke I am not sure how well that will happen with the loss of torque. I have not looked too hard into it yet. The weight difference is also something to consider. I go about 260 so there is already plenty of weight in the back of the boat as it is.

royalfish

The boat is rated for a 75HP, but I believe it is quite common for people to overpower a boat.

Interesting that you were quoted just 4-5K to upgrade to a new 4-stroke. I figured it would be quite a bit more so I had never looked into it. I guess I should talk to a few dealers about that option.

My boat does not have the power steering in it. Your V177 has power steering?!? Was that factor or add on?

The weight is not a major concern for me. I am about 170 and a 4-stroke Honda weighs about 50-60 lbs more than my current motor.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

New 90hp Honda around 9,000. Plus rigging and tiller arm minus trade in unless you sell private. I would suggest not putting a motor on over the coast guard rating.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.