Conservation Officer Drowns

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Crashing within 1 minute of launching. Going from the launch to cross there is big logs, I wonder if poor boating had something to do with it. Sad story.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

PFDs?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

So sad. no Reason to question how they responded or if they had on proper PPE. If a life is in danger, these people will put their life’s on the line. True hero. He was just trying to save a life.

tangler
    Inactive

So sad. no Reason to question how they responded or if they had on proper PPE. If a life is in danger, these people will put their life’s on the line. True hero. He was just trying to save a life.

I feel we can question and honor him at the same time. maybe it was an inflatable that failed. But if not, For a CO to not wear a PFD in situation like this would be a tragic error in judgement. Calling that out could lead to policies that save a future CO’s life in a similar situation.

From the story it didn’t sound like a rescue mission as much as a retrieval mission. It sounded completely avoidable with proper safety precautions. Tragedy.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What a tragedy. I’ve yet to come across a CO who was anything but polite, helpful, and professional in my time on the water and assume the same could likely be said for this gentleman.

I’m curious as to what “threw them from the boat”?

B-man

What a terrible event. My heart goes out to his wife and children.

It’s possible the adrenaline was pumping and they forgot to don pfd’s.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I read the DNR new release today. Not mentioning PFD’s being worn sure stood out! (whether or not they were wearing them)

Either way, thank you for your service and my heart goes you to your family and LE family.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Very sad story close to home. Waters I fish weekly.
    I’ve had a few run ins with this gentleman and they were always pleasant.
    Tragic way to go and prayers sent out

queenswake
    NULL

The worst part of this story is that the object they were after was never found. If it wasn’t a body in the first place, I bet the resident who made the initial call feels awful about it now.

It will be interesting to learn if PFDs were being worn or not. If not, this would be the first time I’ve ever seen a DNR officer not wearing one, especially at this point of the season where anyone going out definitely needs to be wearing one.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I read a article that the co throttled the boat way up and took a hard left turn. Both him and the sheriff were ejected. Neither were wearing a life jacket. Could have easily been prevented.
    A real reminder why to wear a pfd

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I read a article that the co throttled the boat way up and took a hard left turn. Both him and the sheriff were ejected. Neither were wearing a life jacket. Could have easily been prevented.
    A real reminder why to wear a pfd

What I don’t understand is why they are not required to do so. Way back when I was delivering auto glass, I was required to wear a seat belt while on the job when it was not required by law for anyone else.

I can certainly understand how it is put on the back burner in that situation but in my opinion there were too many obvious factors there to think it wasn’t a high risk situation. If these guys aren’t capable the right decision in that situation then it should be required at the very least by their employers.

munchy
    NULL

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a CO, sherriff, or coast guard not wearing a PFD while on the water. Even when they are beached they seem to be wearing them.

tangler
    Inactive

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a CO, sherriff, or coast guard not wearing a PFD while on the water. Even when they are beached they seem to be wearing them.

Saw one launch his boat on the st croix earlier this week. Big center console with twin mercs. Maybe he strapped it on shortly after he was underway but it wasn’t on when he left, and he was solo.

I’d say 99% of those I’ve seen on the water are wearing them.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

That’s because it’s a common policy. I am on the Washington Co Fire Dive Team and anytime I’m on a water rescue call whether its driving the boat or standing NEAR water we HAVE to have a PFD on. No questions asked. I would be shocked if the DNR didn’t have the same policy as it’s common across the state. You never know when you might be knocked into the water even if you’re standing on shore or on a dock.

Definitely a terrible loss but one we all need to learn from, and unfortunately one that may get the DNR in some hot water from OSHA.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

He was my best friend. It’s amazing how one mistake can change everything. We can all learn a lesson from this. Wear your vest even if you think you don’t need it.

Ryan

B-man

He was my best friend. It’s amazing how one mistake can change everything. We can all learn a lesson from this. Wear your vest even if you think you don’t need it.

Ryan

Very sorry to hear that Ryan. I hope you and his family are doing as best as possible at this time of loss.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Ryan

Very sorry for your loss.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.