Early morning Sturgeon?

• gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

To all you seasoned Sturgeon fisherman- I don’t have time this weekend to be out during the evening/night bite. So I was thnking of heading down to in the morning on Saturday. I am planning to be on the water by 5am. Have any of you had good luck this early? Has anyone ever tried fishing Sturgeon this early? I know there are plenty of weekends left in the season to hit the night bite sometime, but I can’t wait that long and I’ve got the morning free so………

Let me know what you guys think
    Thanks in advance

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

I’m not a seasoned vet, but I know the day bite can be just as good as the night bite.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I’m not a seasoned vet

Ditto here, but I have had some great fishing from 5 am to 7 am… but like always someone has to tell those darn fish that you’ll be coming!

Best time to fish? When you can!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Early morning can be great. Sturgeon are not strictly nocturnal. Last year the bite went from night to day literally overnight. They always seem to bite some at night, but I honestly think the day bite can even be better.. just as soon as they decide they want to bite by day. That could be tomorrow, it could be..?? But the day will turn on. There is usually a mid day lull in the action when the day bite is on.

aanderud

On Sunday when we were out, we caught like 10 sturgeon between 4 pm and 6 pm. Then we tooled around a bit for like 30-45 minutes, then tried one spot for maybe 45 minutes to an hour without a single bite, moved a bit shallower, and sure enough, had another half dozen sturgeon boated before sundown. So they definitely were biting during the day, but one spot we sat for almost an hour without a bite — not smart. In hindsight, with 8 lines in the water and not so much as a sheepshead bite, we probably should have given it 20 minutes at most before moving. It wasn’t 5 minutes in the new spot before we had a sheepshead, followed by hot action for both sheepies and sturgeon.

My guess is that you will have good action during morning hours. I’m too lazy to wake up that early and try it. Let us know how you do!

rollin
    Twin Cities, MN

On opener we had our best luck just as the sun was coming up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.