Flathead Rods

• tka6213
    New Ulm MN

I need some help on finding a good rod under$150. I’m looking for a 8′ MH casting rod. I’m new to flathead fishing and I fish mostly from the bank. Any ideas would be great thanks Travis.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I used the bait casters and love them compared the other rods I’ve used. These will make an excellent Lake Sturgeon rod as well. One of the few rods on the market that can do that. These are Catfish rods right down to the over sized hook keeper that will hold an 8/0 hook and release it effortless. I run 80 pound Team Catfish braid on them.

Both 4 Seasons Sports in Red Wing and Everts Resort handles them. If you happen to get down to the area, I have them rigged and ready to “try before you buy” in the bait caster version.

I’ve sold two rods to clients so far this year. I had one fella that didn’t like the high density eva foam handles, but otherwise no complaints from the guys that have used them.

Heavy 7-6 iCat/HIGH STANDARD Carbon Spinning $149.95

From Team Catfish:

The finest catfishing rods and blanks on the planet are now only available through Team Catfish. The HIGH STANDARD Carbon Rod Co. and Jeff Williams founder of Team Catfish Tackle Company have designed these blanks and rods just for the Team Catfish brand. No other manufacturer in the world has access to these custom carbon blanks. These carbon blanks are built in America by HIGH STANDARD Carbon Rod Company and only sold as a HIGH STANDARD rod or Team Catfish iCat.

Why are these rods better (and more expensive)?

The American manufacturer of these rods and blanks has developed a complicated proprietary carbon fiber wrapping method that’s creates rods that feed like and preform like carbon arrow hunting shafts. This revolutionary new process allows HIGH STANDARD Rod Co. to create the lightest and strongest rod that you have ever had your hands on. Also, these carbon blanks are only assembled with the purest carbon fiber material available anywhere in the world. Pound for pound this ultra premium carbon material is second to none. When you combine the best materials with space age blank building techniques you get the best of the best, we guarantee it.

Some of the key features of these HIGH STANDARD Carbon Rods include:

1) The durability of our carbon blanks is unrivaled. HIGH STANDARD blanks are far superior to any graphite or boron rod that we tested against.

2) The sensitivity of the HIGH STANDARD carbon blank is unbelievable. Its superior to any of the top brands of high end graphite blanks we tested against regardless of the price. These carbon blanks are perfect for hand fishing, bump fishing down rivers or on lite biting catfish.

3) All models have stainless steel eyes.

4) Casting model has an exposed graphite blank touch reel seat.

5) Super heavy duty stainless hook keepers.

6) Actions designed by professionals for catfishing situations.

6) Extremely durable/no maintenance high density eva foam handles will out last and and out perform cork handles. Cork does not telegraph vibrations nearly as well as the high density eva.

8) Proudly made in America.

9) HIGH STANDARD 3 year bumper to bumper warranty and the lifetime half price replacement warranties are unrivaled in the catfishing world.

10) Stainless hood over graphite reel seat band.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Sheakspear Tiger rod.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You could pickup 4-5 Ugly stick rods for that price. I love mine and they are going strong on 8 years of hard use.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

for a quality custom rod, i don’t think you can beat RF Sports. For the price of a lot of the competitor’s rods, you could buy two RF Sports rods.

Plus, if you call the shop, you can still request the original “Catfish Safari” rod, which they make a flathead specific model.

I’ve used quite a few different rods, and nothing i’ve used has the fit, finish, and brute strength that these do. plus everyone I know that has used one, LOVES the rope handle.

I would at least give them a look through…

UBB Code for URL LINK<<

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Sheakspear Tiger rod.

This. I just picked one up for 50 bucks brand new at a local tackle outlet. Mine is a ML saltwater rod and I paired it up with my Abu 6500. Has a really soft tip and tons of backbone. I am thinking it will be a fantastic sturgeon rod as well.

aanderud

While I agree with whiskerkev that the ugly stick is a reasonably priced rod, I don’t think it’s the best rod for flatheads. I use one for channels and it’s great, but it’s not nearly enough for flatties IMHO.

I have an ugly stick tiger (mustard yellow color) which I like for flatheads, but from shore it wouldn’t be my favorite. It’s only 7 feet long, and I think one needs to go a bit longer.

For the 8 footer, I’d go with the american spirit nite stick pro. You can get em for about 45 bucks shipped from catfish connection. I have the 7 foot 6 model, and it’s by far my favorite flathead rod (I have a team catfish rod 1/2 ton as well).

8 footer (2 piece)

http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=PHNSP8

7 foot 6 (one piece – this is the one I have)

http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=PHNSP76

shawnil

My favorite spinning rod right now is an Ugly Stick Tiger Lite 7′ one piece spinning rod. Rated “heavy”, more of a MH IMO (which is fine by me).

All my main rods are 7′ 1 pc, still using an older Shimano Convergence and Abu UltraCast with my baitcasters. I have another 8′ heavy glass spinning rod, great from shore but gets a bit unwieldy in my small boat. I don’t think any of these cost much more than $50.

Tiger Lite heavy spinning

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Quote:

Sheakspear Tiger rod.

This. I just picked one up for 50 bucks brand new at a local tackle outlet. Mine is a ML saltwater rod and I paired it up with my Abu 6500. Has a really soft tip and tons of backbone. I am thinking it will be a fantastic sturgeon rod as well.

Yup I got the salt water from Bob Moore. Works great for sturgeon too.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

http://www.tanglingwithcatfish.com/products.html take a look at these , they are about 70 bucks ,, iam no catfish expert , i just started getting serious about cats, but alot of the catfish guides in southern il where iam origanly from are using these , they seem to be very well built rods

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.