Cat Tip of the Day: Zip Tie Bridle Rig

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

For those of us that fish large live baits how we rig that live bait can be a challenge. At one time or other you have probably lost a nice fish because on the hook set the hook rotates and it sinks itself back into the bait and the hook never makes contact with that trophy of a lifetime. Every time you miss a big fish it is always the trophy of a lifetime.

The technique most often used to try to prevent a hook set going back into the bait is to Bridle Rig the bait. A bridle rig is using a device or some other type of technique designed to hold the bait without having to imbed the hook itself into the bait. There are a number of devices for sale that do an adequate job and there are a lot of YouTube videos on-line that show how to make bridle rigs. I have been playing around for years with a number of different designs and techniques for bridling bait. I want something that can be rigged up quickly and easily and most importantly something that will not injure the bait so severely that it does not act or react normally. I want to keep the bait as lively as possible after it is bridled.

I wanted something simple and I think the Zip Tie Bridle Rig is as simple as it gets. To make a Zip Tie Bridle Rig all you need is a small zip tie, a small O-Ring and a small sharp awl to make a clean hole in the bait to run the zip tie through. Here are the instructions you need to follow:

#1. Take a small sharp awl or a bait rigging needle and make a hole through the bait at the location you want the bridle rig to be located. You can bridle bait through the nose; through the tail; at the top of the back or where ever you want to place the bridle to still control the bait. Take your time and try to make a small hole through the bait in such a way as to not hurt the bait so badly you affect the baits liveliness and effectiveness.

#2. Take a zip tie and slide a small O-Ring onto the zip tie. Then thread the zip time through the hole you made in the bait and slide the O-Ring up the zip tie so it will be on the outside of the bait when you close the zip tie. Now close the zip time as snug as possible with the O-Ring placed where the hook needs to go.

#3. Take your hook and slide it under the O-Ring on the Zip Tie and your zip tie bridle rig is complete.
    The components are very inexpensive and each Zip Tie Bridle Rig will only cost you a few cents to make. You can buy zip ties at any hardware store, Walmart, just about anywhere – usually about a 100 for around $5 or so. You can buy a sharp awl at any hardware store or hobby type store again for about $5. The O-Rings require a little work but they are super cheap (about 3 cents each). Simply google – The O-ring Store, LLC. It will pop right up. On the search bar – type in B70003 and that will take you to this page: -003 N70 Buna-N Nitrile 70 O-ring. The 003 is the size of the O-Ring. They are tiny – 1/16th. They get bigger as the number goes up – I bought 200 of the 003 and 200 of the 004 size and they seem to work fine. If you go to a large zip tie you may need larger O-Rings.

Something I learned well observing bait that is bridle rigged. I never had an appreciation for how heavy a large 8/0 or larger hook is to a bait fish. When they are bridled through the nose they will tire out fairly quickly from the weight of a large hook. The bridle is a very effective technique but I found that you need to downsize your hooks if possible. I use large 8/0 circle hooks and have watched baits tire out fairly quickly from having to haul around that large hook hanging off his nose. This is especially true for suckers. They are not very hardy and the weight of that large hook is too much for them and they lose their vigor very quickly.

For you guys that fish BIG baits – give this a try. Pretty simple and easy to do. Post us a picture of your big flathead.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1624.jpg

2. IMG_1625.jpg

3. IMG_1628.jpg

4. IMG_1627.jpg

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

That’s a novel idea Steve. I take it this rig is less a caster and more of a dunker?

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

Looks like a good idea , what do you think your hooking percentage is since you started using it?

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’m gonna do more flat head fishing this year and that rig looks like it might be a good one. Thanks for the tip Steve.

L8R…Ken

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

That’s a novel idea Steve. I take it this rig is less a caster and more of a dunker?

It actually casts a bait very well. Once you pass that hook under the O-Ring it is not going to come loose. The O-Ring is very strong and if you exercise some finesse in your cast you shouldn’t have any trouble casting your baits.

It works really good with large chunks of cut bait which is the bait I always had my most trouble with a hook rotating back into the bait on the hook set. If your zip ties seem too short just hook two zip ties together to extend the length which works good on a large cut bait chunk.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Looks like a good idea , what do you think your hooking percentage is since you started using it?

I’m still a virgin using the zip tie bridle rig. Finally figured out how to make one over the winter and just started using it this spring. I used it yesterday and it was simple and easy and my bullhead stayed alive forever but nobody wanted to eat him. I’m anxious to see how it works once the bite turns on.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Do you now prefer that over the little metal ones I bought last year. The name escapes me but you did a write up on it.
    I can see how the zip tie does the exact same thing but with the zip you can make the bait loop any size.

Thoughts?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Do you now prefer that over the little metal ones I bought last year. The name escapes me but you did a write up on it.
    I can see how the zip tie does the exact same thing but with the zip you can make the bait loop any size.

Thoughts?

Andy – The metal ones are called “The Ultimate Bait Bridle”. I really like those the best with a minor modification I did on them. I loved using the small ones for sturgeon fishing. They hold a shad on perfectly and I had a great hookup rate. I was having trouble losing them after getting a fish on – they would come off just about every time.

Where they use a small rubber collar at the top to hold them on – I took that off. I then slide one of the small size 003 O-Rings up the Ultimate Bait Bridle until it is in position on the top of the bridle. Then just slide your hook under the O-Ring and it is not coming off even after a hook up. It is a pain in the butt getting the O-Ring on the Ultimate Bait Bridle but use a needle nose pliers to twist it open just enough to slide the O-Ring up to the top of the bridle. You will be cussing at them but after you do a half dozen or so you kind of get the hang of it. You will wear your finger tips raw but you will have an even better “Ultimate Bait Bridle”.

The Zip Tie Bridle works about as well as the Ultimate Bait Bridle and after you use it a few times it is pretty simple. You can use it for all kinds of different setups. I’ve got some large Berkley Gulp Saltwater Grubs that I’m experimenting with for casting for flatheads. I want to find a weedless way to throw that grub up into the gnarly logjams and drowned timber. You run a zip tie bridle on the end of the grub and you can just take a weedless hook and snap on the grub. That zip tie can go on just about anything you can make a hole in and you can make it any size you want by just sliding another zip tie on. Between the Ultimate Bait Bridle and the Zip Tie Bridle you can put a hook on anything. Just sayin –

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Here is a picture of the Ultimate Bridle Rig with the modification I made to them. It works great this way:

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1630.jpg

Grizper

A few years ago I lost at least 5 or 6 strong bites as I was experimenting with circle hooks because I was hooking my bullhead under the spine behind the dorsal or just ahead of the anal vent and the bullhead would basically roll into the circle so the hook was ineffective. once I switched to hooking through the upper lip my hookup rate went way up. I will be interested to see your results but that looks like a lot of “stuff” for the bait to have on it. Please keep us informed on your results.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Thanks Steve.

I didn’t hardly get a chance to flat head fish last year, all my flats came on cut bait late in the fall sturgeon fishing.

This year though… Should be a different story.

Good luck to you up there Steve. You can still tell your wife I’m on the river too much, just too far down stream to see me

deertracker

I will be down on pool 2 this weekend and am going to try this. Not sure if I will have bullheads though. Would you use this same thing with large sucker minnows? Maybe I should just try to find some bullies.
    DT

deertracker

Another thought, you talked about 8/0 hooks being to heavy for the baits. Are you still using them or a different size?
    Thanks, DT

mr-special
    MPLS

DT, i think steve might still be in FL.
    however, i do believe he is still using 8/0. hooking them in the back seems to keep them pretty lively for a long time.

dont over look big pieces of cut Steve size cut. most of my flats lately have been on cut. i personally like redhorse the best but have been using sheepies more cz theyre just easier to catch

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Another thought, you talked about 8/0 hooks being to heavy for the baits. Are you still using them or a different size?
    Thanks, DT

Hey, deertracker – I just got back from vacation with the family and saw your post. I am having a great year and my hookup percentage so far is 100%. I don’t stick a hook directly into a bait anymore at all. I use bridle rigs on every bait.

I have had great results using large chunks of cut bait rigged with a zip tie bridle rig. I’ve been using 5/0 and 8/0 circle hooks on the zip tie bridle rigs. The hook will ride well clear of the bait and I have found it to cast well and hook up every time. I like to use large cut bait heads from redhorse or from sheepshead. Run a zip tie bridle rig up through the back of the head and then run an 8/0 circle hook through the O-Ring. The bait is not going to come off the zip time and the hook is totally exposed and I have been getting a clean hook up everytime. These are extremely large baits but I have had good results. When a flat grabs one of these hold on – you are in for a battle.

When fishing live baits I like to use the Ultimate Bridle rigs. I normally hook the baits in the back and they stay very lively with the bridle rigs. If I am using a large bait I will use the 8/0 circles on the large size Bridle Rig and if I am using small bullheads I use a 5/0 circle hook on a small size Bridle Rig.

Attachments:
    1. 5-June-2016-44X28-2-1.jpg

mr-special
    MPLS

in the last couple of yrs ive been following Steve’s lead and using more bridle rigs. “not having the same hook up precentage but better then before lol”
    for the most part ive just been using small rubber bands but theyre not as strong and last wk i lost a few baits during the cast. needless to say i have on order the small O-rings =)

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

My new big bait flathead jigs have arrived. 8 oz with a 10/0.

Also have 6 & 4 oZ.

Should keep a big bait down, under a bobber or vertical.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20160618215848734.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Is the Old Mil the bait? rotflol

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.