Morson Ontario

• ariat
    Ottertail Lake,mn

Hello, I am heading up to Canada next Saturday to fish the miles bay area of LOW for a week. We are very excited to try this area heard lots of good things. Just wondering if anyone has any recent reports for that area. Thanks

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Humps/reefs and islands will hold walleyes this time of year. Most troll bottom bouncers with spinners and either crawlers, minnows or plastics.

Jigs and minnows/crawlers/plastics will also work, too. Active fish will hold anywhere from 10 – 25 feet. After dinner/early evening, casting and trolling cranks in about 8 feet can work really well. I wouldn’t bother fishing after the sun sets.

Make sure you have the Canadian nav maps for the area. Take a good look at some of the humps/reefs in the area – and most will hold fish. I would also fish the reefs/humps out from and in between Dawson channel, Gooseneck and Harbor Island (they form a triangle on a map) – fish any of these.

ariat
    Ottertail Lake,mn

Just got back home today from first nation guides outpost on sabaskong bay. Nice cabin beautiful scenery, however the walleye fishing proved to be pretty tough. We traveled as far north and west as stairway point. We used a clicker and caught an average of 25 walleyes a day for 3 of us. 23″ being the biggest with a a couple 22″, 1 – 21″ 6 – 20″ all the way down to a fingerling. We found our best fishing in miles bay 20 to 25 FOW. Went through a flat of crawlers pulling spinner rigs. We finally got a leech bite going yesterday with 16th oz Jigs tipped with some nice leeches from gills in morson.

The highlight of the trip for me was hooking 2 different muskies and having 2 other follow ups. All over 45″ fish and I am no Musky fisherman example is I don’t even own a bucktail had to borrow one from my brother in law.. haha

Also we got pulled over by the CO for a spotcheck and that was a very pleasant experience as he was very nice and happy to answer any questions we had.

We did try a bunch of reefs, however we only caught a handful of eyes on them and we didn’t really mark any fish on them either. We even fished a couple reefs that are not mapped

——————————————————————————–
    catch and release

Wesley Trebesch

Pulling up an old thread here…..

Anyone been in this area recently? Reports?

snelson223
    Austin MN

I was up there about 2 weeks ago. Stayed out on Alexandria Island. Fishing was ok. Caught bigger fish pulling cranks. The weather wasn’t the best. Was 80 the day before we got there then went down into the 40s with rain and wind.

snelson223
    Austin MN

We stumbled across 2 of them in 22′. Most of the walleyes were found shallow. Some in less than 5′.

Attachments:
    1. 20170914_171704.jpg

Wesley Trebesch

Nice job!

We went up this same weekend last year and didn’t find any crappie. Hoping we can snag a few this year.

Loomis13
    NULL

We stumbled across 2 of them in 22′. Most of the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleyes were found shallow. Some in less than 5′.

Love Reel em inn!! We go up in August and June. Really want to make a sept/oct. trip but my dad teaches school and Im in school so that doesnt work

Wesley Trebesch

Weather not looking too favorable for Sunday(our only full day of fishing) with upwards of 15mph winds. Hopefully they miss on that one…… frown

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

That part of the lake is a whole different animal than the MN side so this might not apply, but we’ve normally caught more walleye by fishing a bit off the reefs, not directly on them.

That might be obvious, but just wanted to point out when we talk about ‘fishing the reefs’ we are usually jigging in the mud adjacent to the reefs, at times hundreds of yards off the reefs themselves.

Wesley Trebesch

Got home yesterday afternoon. Tough weekend for us.

Made it up late morning Saturday. Got unpacked into the cabin, ate a sandwich, and headed out for the afternoon. Saturday was windy but not unmanageable. We were able to make a decent run and we caught fish just about everywhere we went. We were able to eat walleye for dinner and put three in the freezer as well.

Sunday was crazy windy and rainy on and off all day. It didn’t look that bad when we woke up but by the time we got out on the bigger water we realized how rough it really was. We still caught fish but we had to work pretty hard to get them. We tried to fish in the wind a bit but it wears on us after while. We were able to catch some fish on the protected sides of islands it was just nice to be out of the wind even momentarily. Still made our daily limits but it was a lot of work.

We were going to try to go fish yesterday in the morning for a couple hours before heading home but it was raining pretty steadily again so we just pulled the boat and decided to head home. Especially after being pretty well soaked all day Sunday we just called it a trip.

We caught decent numbers Saturday and I thought we did ok Sunday given the conditions. We just didn’t see very much size at all. Biggest fish was 19″(caught on a jigging rap). We saw tons of 8″-12″ fish. Caught one lonely crappie(13″) and one lonely perch(I had one get off at the side of the boat that looked like a keeper as well). Best depth was probably 18-24′, but we caught fish in a variety of depths. Minnows and crawlers seemed to fish pretty even to me.

snelson223
    Austin MN

Just came back from there on Monday. Most of our fish came from mud. Not much on the reefs. Pink and red smile blades and gold shiner butterfly blades were best. We caught fish anywhere from 3ft to 20. We stayed at Reel em lodge. Best fishing was close to the island.

Wesley Trebesch

Heading up two weeks from today. Any reports from the Morson area?

asch
    Eastern Iowa

We were up at Mylie’s Place last week. They weren’t on the humps yet. The water temp was 61 all week. They were on islands and points. Jigs and minnows worked better than bait walkers and lindy rigs. Ring worms worked better than night crawlers. Any color worked as long as it was gold. We caught a lot of walleyes, the biggest was 28″, and the fewest crappies, perch, and small mouth than in the last 4 years.

Wesley Trebesch

We were up at Mylie’s Place last week. They weren’t on the humps yet. The water temp was 61 all week. They were on islands and points. Jigs and minnows worked better than bait walkers and lindy rigs. Ring worms worked better than night crawlers. Any color worked as long as it was gold. We caught a lot of walleyes, the biggest was 28″, and the fewest crappies, perch, and small mouth than in the last 4 years.

Thanks for the report!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.