Cabin Owner Garbage Question

• blackbay

So what do you guys do for handling cabin garbage? There is no garbage service that makes sense at our property. It’s off the beaten path and it would either end up filled with other peoples junk or destroyed by bears. Right now we either take the stuff home, which is less than enjoyable in an SUV, or try to get to the transfer station which is a half hour away in the opposite direction and not open on Sunday’s. Anyone work out a deal with a local business or similar?

Mike

Burn barrel. Freeze the stuff that will get stinky then bring home.

AnotherFisherman

I have no experience with this, but I like the idea of working out a deal with a local business. If I was a small business owner, I would take any extra income I could. Might be worth a try.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We bring ours home. When we bought the cabin we had an SUV. I have had a pickup ever since and that is one of the main reasons.

Charles

Where’s your cabin at?

KP
    Hudson, WI

It’s not an ideal solution but you could always buy a large plastic bin to transport your garbage in your SUV home.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bring it home

Sharon
    SE Metro

We burn what we can (paper products, mostly), and then bring home the remainder trash. As mentioned above, if you have something that will be really stinky it’s a good idea to freeze it while you’re there then just don’t forget to add it to the trash bag before tying it off. We use the scented bags for the cabin so that it covers the scent of anything smelly on the way home.

Deleted

I know a few who have cabins by us that just recycle what tin, glass, aluminum & cardboard they can & take it to the county recycle shed 10 mins away when full & then burn any paper trash in the fire pit as starter. Scraps of food go in an ice cream bucket in the freezer and they taken back home for their garbage.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We burn paper and take the rest home. We have an SUV and use a hitch hauler so the stinky stuff stays outside.

blackbay

Burning is out for a few reasons, one of which is all the pines. I’m liking Ralph’s idea with the hitch hauler. Forgot about those. I have a big bin I could strap down too. Good ideas. Thanks.

I emailed the county environmental services office and asked about a collection site and what others do. There are a number of islands that have cabins on them. So I’m not the only one that needs to haul trash seasonally.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

We bring ours home in a pickup truck. However the local Township has a program where you pay $5 for a bag and you can leave it at a drop off location.
    We haven’t used that but it seems like a pretty good deal

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

We bring our’s home in a pickup truck, but it can get pretty stinky under the tonneau cover. We do have an option to drop it off at the local dump site for $2/bag and it’s only 1 mile away, but they are closed on Sundays.

big_g
    Isle, MN

We burn what we can and take the rest home in the pick-up bed…. seen one resourceful person, dump their garbage in the dumpster at the public boat landing… if everybody did that, it wouldn’t work dude. smirk

disco bobber

We burn what we can and take the rest home in the pick-up bed…. seen one resourceful person, dump their garbage in the dumpster at the public boat landing… if everybody did that, it wouldn’t work dude. smirk

it was why there can’t even be a garbage can at most boat landings.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

We burn paper and take the rest home. We have an SUV and use a hitch hauler so the stinky stuff stays outside.

Bingo!

sji

It is illegal to burn household waste in Mn. The fine is hefty.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Why in the world would it be illegal to burn some paper plates?

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steven Iverson wrote:</div>

Land of 10,000 Laws! bawling

sji

DNR regulations. Know several people who paid $500 fine for burn barrel offence, and a few that’s paid $5,000 or more.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It is true I know a guy who got popped for burning his paper products at a campsite.
    But it’s just one of those laws you bend if it harms no one.

BrianF

We are in the same situation as you. We double bag the trash and bring it home in our SUV. We use the tall kitchen bags, tie them up, and put them in a large heavy duty bag which we also tie up. No smell. No leaks.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

DNR regulations. Know several people who paid $500 fine for burn barrel offence, and a few that’s paid $5,000 or more.

I think the DNR only has say so on public areas such as campgrounds or other areas owned by the state or when a fire originating from a private property harms or spreads to state owned land. Burn barrels are commonplace everywhere across this state and the only time I have ever heard of an issue with them is when someone was burning during a burning ban. I believe counties and cities and townships can have burning laws that play on private, non-state owned property.

WE pack our trash home with us….double bagged. Plate scratchings and left overs that don’t get used we leave for the bear at a spot in the woods away from the cabin.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

You could do what the in laws do and put it in mine. Wish I was kidding.

The father in law wanted to split the cost of garbage service since they’re at the cabin a lot and not at home. I told him he’s loaded and being overly frugal just pay for garbage. His solution is he puts it in our can when he comes home. Guess slip bob got hosed on that one. The joys of being married. At least the wife thinks he’s crazy about the deal also.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

It is true I know a guy who got popped for burning his paper products at a campsite.
    But it’s just one of those laws you bend if it harms no one.

Hope he didn’t get a ticket. Don’t see paper as a prohibited item.

https://www.pca.state.mn.us/waste/laws-prohibiting-backyard-burning-garbage

But yes, burn barrels have been illegal for quite some time.

B-man

Steve Iverson, you know A FEW PEOPLE THAT HAVE PAID $5,000 GARBAGE BURNING FINES??? And several that have paid $500

What kind of company do you keep? jester

munchy
    NULL

Steve Iverson, you know A FEW PEOPLE THAT HAVE PAID $5,000 GARBAGE BURNING FINES??? And several that have paid $500

Was thinking the same thing. I’d assume the $5000 fines go along the lines of burning a pile of tires, not for a few handfuls of paper and cardboard.

sji

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

Was thinking the same thing. I’d assume the $5000 fines go along the lines of burning a pile of tires, not for a few handfuls of paper and cardboard.

$500 fines were paid by several neighbors that burned household waste in barrels, which includes paper of any kind. Larger fines were paid by people that burned and or buried material that was painted or treated.

Trees, brush and natural vegetation can be burned.

big_g
    Isle, MN

So an empty 12’er (who am I kidding, a case) of cardboard cannot be used to start a campfire ? No barrels were harmed in this story.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.