Cabelas

• monkeymaster

Just wanting to know everyone’s thoughts on the quality of Cabelas products and service.
    Been a member card holder for 20 years and sorry to say I think it has steadily gone downhill on both accounts.
    As we speak been on hold for over 25 minutes trying g to find out where my fryer is since I am going on three days on a two day delivery.
    Used to go to Bass Pro when Cabelas frustrated me, know they are one and the same?
    Frustrating
    Everything anymore is Frustrating

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

USPS shipping? It might have gone to Alaska first

monkeymaster

Well
    56 minutes later……
    The order was cancelled due to being out of stock.
    The very same day I ordered it.
    Three days and crickets.
    ?
    ?
    No email notice
    No phone call notice
    No text notice
    They have my email, cell phone number, house number.

When asked when I was going to be notified……
    Silence, then “I apologize for that”

I quit buying from about 6 retailers because of their political views of me, sportsmen ect.
    Where the h ll do we go to get treated right anymore ?
    W
    T
    H
    ?

Frustrating

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Scheels is my favorite now

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Just wanting to know everyone’s thoughts on the quality of Cabelas products and service.
    Been a member card holder for 20 years and sorry to say I think it has steadily gone downhill on both accounts.
    As we speak been on hold for over 25 minutes trying g to find out where my fryer is since I am going on three days on a two day delivery.
    Used to go to Bass Pro when Cabelas frustrated me, know they are one and the same?
    Frustrating
    Everything anymore is Frustrating

I still have a Cabelas card but never use it because it’s benefits are inferior to other cards. “Out of stock” and “backorderable” are two of the most common phrases I see when looking at their products (even before Covid distribution problems). I had a order of 6 items this spring that came in 5 different shipments over about a 3 week span. Four of the items were bags of soft plastics. Yup, Cabelas is a shell of what it used to be IMO. Their Woodbury satellite store was a mistake – and has been a source of a lot of frustration. I miss what Cabelas was and dont like what it has become.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I use to use the card and make many purchases from them until everything started going down hill and dropped that one probably 5-6 years ago for a card with better percentage cash back. Fleet Farm was a great local store 1.5 miles from my house and now that is also dead to me. I would like to buy more fishing stuff local instead of online but I’m not driving across the cities from the south metro to get stuff.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Definitely wish there was a Scheels opening up on the north/east side of the cities……It’s the dead sea over here. Thank God for Joes but even they don’t have a big selection.

Paid off and cancelled my Cabelas card years ago. They never had what you went to the store to get BEFORE covid.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Cabelas definitely went down hill when Bass Pro bought them. That was at least 4-5 years ago.

Fast forward to this year. They are definitely not the only retailer having issues getting items in stock. My experience with them trying to order items online was similar to yours monkeymaster. Product was delayed twice. When I called to ask them why, it took me 20 minutes to get an answer. I eventually just cancelled it and got it somewhere else.

The new EP Scheels opens on Saturday. While some of their prices are higher than others, I am hoping they have full shelves of stock for at least a while. Wouldn’t be much of a grand opening with empty pegs.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well
    56 minutes later……
    The order was cancelled due to being out of stock.
    The very same day I ordered it.
    Three days and crickets.
    ?
    ?
    No email notice
    No phone call notice
    No text notice
    They have my email, cell phone number, house number.

When asked when I was going to be notified……
    Silence, then “I apologize for that

Same thing happened to me this past spring. Ordered item online that was showing as in stock. Order cancelled, no explanation.

I called customer service after three or four days and received the same fake apology you did. I then asked them to explain why the out-of-stock item was still showing as in stock on the website almost a week after obviously there were none left. Predictably Bass pro Cabela’s / whatever they call themselves could not explain that.

It’s a bleep show.

But that does leave me with a huge gap in terms of where I buy hunting gear. Joe’s sporting goods is great but I think they have been getting just hammered by people fleeing from Bass pro. Everything seems to be out of stock lately. No offense to Joe’s sporting goods I’m sure they’re trying but it’s hard to deal with this kind of influx of customers.

Grouse

Fish To Escape

Always loved Cabela’s but it has definitely gone downhill. Similar problems as other big box stores in other industries. I would imagine they will eventually go the way of the dodo and JC Penney

Dan
    Southeast MN

I ordered a gift card 2-3 weeks ago because they had a 10% off gift card promotion and it hasn’t arrived yet. I did receive an e-mail saying there was a delay. I guess the gift-card manufacturing supply line must be slow.

hartridge

My son gave me a $100 Cabelas gift card for Xmas. Due to most items I wanted being out of stock on line, I ending up spending most of the $$ on clothes. We are talking common items.
    -basic red and white daredevil
    -5 of diamonds daredevil
    -Other basic items swim jigs, crappie jigs, etc.

Hopefully next time he gets me a Scheels gift card…

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Definitely wish there was a Scheels opening up on the north/east side of the cities……It’s the dead sea over here. Thank God for Joes but even they don’t have a big selection.

Couldnt agree more. Scheels will make a killing in Eden Prairie but they’d likely do just as well in Woodbury too. I went to the Woodbury Cabelas maybe a half dozen times when I first moved to the cities thinking that was the place to be. Lesson learned, havent been back in well over a year. I like Joes a lot, but small like you said. I’ve done a lot more online shopping lately because of the lack of selection in my area.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I had a 3 year old Cabelas brand PFD that the zipper broke. Took it to the PDC store where an assistant manager told me no warranty because the zipper is a wear item. I complained that it had probably been used only 20 times. Sorry its a wear item–no warranty.
    I emailed corporate CS and explained the same story as I told the store. Response was the same–no warranty. It’s a wear item. So I shot them off another email that told them that’s fine, from now on I will order from Sheels. Told them they can keep their credit cards–I have 2 accounts for business reasons. Got an answer to send the item to PDC to the CS/warranty dept. So I packed up the life jacket, filled out the form and shipped to Prairie.
    Lo and behold the replacement item is out of stock but they sent me a gift card for the amount!!!
    Still not happy because I had the dam thing at Prairie and denied, Then ship it and its warranted. Yea cost me $18.50 to ship it and it took 7 weeks! What a bunch of BS!

Ike Sell

Well the pandemic has caused all kinds of supply chain and customer support iSsues. I notice it at the small local tackle shops as well.

I mention this not to shield Cabelas but only to be fair. I was very dismayed when the Club Card changed from Visa to Capital One Master Card. Capital One has very predatory practices.

I loved being part of the Cabeleas club prior to Bass Pro Shop buying them out. Now, I don’t shop there anymore.

Reeds out of Walker gets my business these days. They earned it with good selection, price and customer service. Hey your mileage may vary. When I know I’ll being paying the balance in full, I use the Cabelas card….. )

bassh8er

There are worse problems to have bruh; go somewhere else to buy a fryer.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Well the pandemic has caused all kinds of supply chain and customer support iSsues. I notice it at the small local tackle shops as well.

I mention this not to shield Cabelas but only to be fair. I was very dismayed when the Club Card changed from Visa to Capital One Master Card. Capital One has very predatory practices.

I loved being part of the Cabeleas club prior to Bass Pro Shop buying them out. Now, I don’t shop there anymore.

Reeds out of Walker gets my business these days. They earned it with good selection, price and customer service. Hey your mileage may vary. When I know I’ll being paying the balance in full, I use the Cabelas card….. )

Ike is right. Covid and the increase in fishing popularity because of it has really impacted the supply chain. However it was bad at Cabelas before Covid and plenty bad before BassPro took over. Their inventory actually had started to get better once they got it all in stock after the merger and then it went downhill again.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

These were taken at the WB Bass Pro Shops eight days ago.

Although the Cabelas name might still be in play, the life is gone.

“Cabelas, an American Tradition” made in Pakistan.
    Isn’t that where Bid Laden was holed up?

Attachments:
    1. 20200629_164703.jpg

2. 20200629_164708.jpg

3. 20200629_172731.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

amazon and ebay have anything you can dream of. the owatonna location was loaded few months ago.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I even know the perfect location;

Sears store @ Riverdale in Coon Rapids.
    That is one big empty building.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

That’s selfishly too far away still. I’m thinking they buy out the Woodbury Cabelas. It’s empty anyway….And that Portillo’s next door….. bow

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

amazon and ebay have anything you can dream of. the owatonna location was loaded few months ago.

Agree as far as Amazon goes.
    But saying the Owatonna location was loaded in April, which I assume means not now, isn’t exactly a great marketing campaign.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I’m fortunate. The new Scheel’s store opening in Eden Prairie in only about 5 minutes away from me.
    Now if only we could get a Portillo’s in the area. peace

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Ill trade Maple Grove Portillo’s for your Eden Prairie Scheel’s

Pete

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Cabela’s in Rogers used to be great — great inventory and selection of sporting goods — but it has turned into a clothing store. That’s where the money is at. I don’t even consider Cabela’s anymore when looking to make a fishing, boating, or hunting purchase. If I wanted a $75 long-sleeve t-shirt made in China or a fanny pack however…

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

I know 2 long time employees at cabelas they both worked at the Owatonna store. I called one of them when i was having problems with the new Cabelas/Bass pro. His comment was Quota “Randy this is not Cabelas any more!” The regular cabelas employees were very frustrated with the new Cabelas/Bass Pro.! . . rrr

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have also noticed that on the Bass Pro / Cabelas website, there are many items that have few or no customer reviews despite the fact that these items have been sold for years. And other popular items see to get very few reviews as well.

It almost looks to me like Bass Pro may be wiping the slate clean if there are negative reviews. Are they running some kind of auto-purge system where when an item’s star level sinks low enough, the flush lever gets pulled and the item gets a clean slate?

Grouse

mnfisherman18

Add me to the list of people here who are really disappointed by cabelas these days. Things went down hill fast after they were bought out by BPS. I used to buy the cabelas branded gear because they would always stand behind it, and loved finding deals in the now extinct bargain cave.

Now cabelas is pretty much just a outdoors themed clothing shop. The last straw for me was their pathetic supply of winter fishing rods in January last year. The employee I talked to seemed embarrassed and suggested I head over to Thorne or joes.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

That would put it right near the (somewhat new) Sportsman’s Warehouse.

My guess is if there any the wiser, they’d not put a store that close to a rival competitor.

Speaking of…I haven’t been to that Sportsman’s Warehouse in quite some time.

Anyone been there lately and how their in-stock items compare to the other’s?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Andy I have been in there as it is now the closest option for me and with fleet farm going downhill I was looking for options, to answer your question they stock shelves better but seem to still not have what I was looking for. flame

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.