Gull in July?

• dkapsner

New to this site and enjoy reading the great posts. Wondering if anyone would be willing to provide some guidance on fishing Gull. I’ll be up there for a week starting on the 18th of July and am interested in walleye, bass, northern, panfish. Considering the time of year I would be happy with action on any species. I’ve never fished Gull and would love to avoid getting skunked! I’m pretty flexible on style/presentation, time of day, location- Have boat will travel! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Good luck on the water.

Tucker02
    Mn

You should be able to catch some pannies and even some walleyes this time of year. Focus your efforts in late aftrnoon to dark or later. Gull gets pretty churned up by pleasure boaters in the daytime, save yourself the headache. Try the big rock pile up on the n.w end or the deep edge of the hour glass flat. There are lots of other places but these are two tried and true spots. Good Luck, be safe and post up with a report when you get back!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Hire a guide first day. I spent a week up there a few years back and never got on a good pattern. Lots of good guides in the area.

A guide will shorten your learning curve and give you ideas on where to start. Can turn a poor or ok trip into a great one.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

If you are just looking to put fish in the boat I would tell ya to simply troll cranks near the weedlines. Focus your efforts on the wind swept side of the lake. There are usually walleye, pike, and bass just waiting for ya there.

cwb66

My family and I rented a cabin on Gull for a week at a time from 1990 to 2005 (or 06) in July or August. Took me a few years to start catching walleyes consistently. On the weekends you might as well plan on spending the time with the family, or fishing at night. I did get my two biggest walleyes on Gull trolling cranks at night (a 31″ and a 32″ on the same night). As far as day fishing, I’d never go on Gull without minnows (my preference being creek chubs, redtails as a close second). There’s a series of humps called “the hat”, SE of the big rock pile. The humps top out at a variety of depths, cruise over these and look for good marks, typically on the windward side of the humps. I’ve caught a lot of fish over the years on these, rigging minnows. Hope this helps.

dkapsner

Thanks for the tips. I’ll pick up some minnows and give it a whirl. I’ll report back after the trip.

dkapsner

Trolling for mixed species will definitely work. Any thoughts on colors/depths? Thanks for the help.

dkapsner

Thanks for the advice. Is Hour Glass and Bowtie one in the same? I’ll definitely report back next week.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.