boat access etiquette

• mn-z
    Stark, MN

I have the unfortunate luxury of living right next to a public access. I have a large wall of trees between my property and the access. People can generally not see my house or us. My wife and I sit on the deck on the weekends with a couple of pops and listen to the crazy people yell and scream at each other. Most are husband and wife. The best ever was a wife screaming at her husband “I don’t know why I bother, you don’t ever listen to me anyway”

My biggest complaint is leaving your truck stereo blasted as you load and unload your boat, really not necessary.

Good times!

huntinforfish

Seen a few good ones over the years. My favorite is the guy who has the balls to get in another persons vehicle and move it out of the way. Example: Family with pontoon is prepping boat on ramp prior to launch. Line of trucks waiting. Next guy in line calmly walks to truck, safety check, and then proceeds to pull straight ahead until he has enough room to pull up and back in. Gets out of truck, ignores a half hearted comment from owner and proceeds to launch. My bother and I just watched in awe. I have noticed more etiquette signs at more ramps lately.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The sign is a great idea! We need about 10,000 more of them!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I can’t remember the last time I waited more than a whopping minute to launch. If I had to go through what most of you have shared, I’d find a new hobby. Living a mile from the river and having flexible hours is worth thousands more than I’d ever have imagined. I fished today (Monday) and saw a handful of seemingly courteous boaters in 6 hours (none at the launch). I even borrowed a duplicate crankbait to an older gentleman who was struggling to catch fish but was extremely friendly every hour or so we’d pass eachother on trolling passes and share results. For some reason it was just “one of those days” for that color and size.

I do agree with what has been said regarding experience and awareness. There are some real a-holes out there, but most of the issues I’ve encountered are people who are completely unaware of what they’re doing and that it’s impeding others.

My buddies and I joke regularly about things similar to the formula mentioned above. The formula of boat length and IQ/boating common sense could also be amended to factor in cost of the tow vehicle…the higher the cost, the lower the common sense and experience near the launch. Lift kits, obnoxious decals, words like “limited”, “Platinum”, etc etc all factor in as well. jester

mike e

Seen a few good ones over the years. My favorite is the guy who has the balls to get in another persons vehicle and move it out of the way. Example: Family with pontoon is prepping boat on ramp prior to launch. Line of trucks waiting. Next guy in line calmly walks to truck, safety check, and then proceeds to pull straight ahead until he has enough room to pull up and back in. Gets out of truck, ignores a half hearted comment from owner and proceeds to launch. My bother and I just watched in awe. I have noticed more etiquette signs at more ramps lately.

I almost did this once to help out and get the line moving, and maybe save a marriage. Conversion van backing the boat in with the husband guiding and screaming WTF are you doing several times in front of a big audience.

milemark_714

Friday evening I watched a guy getting ready to leave with a 22′ pontoon. Before he left I watched him go over to a empty trailer that wasn’t parked straight, pick it up and slam on back down straight in the parking spot.
    It was later on a Friday night so the spot wasn’t needed.
    Was just funny to watch this guys demeanor. Just flat out upset him that someone parked crooked and he was willing to pick it up 2′ in the and let er drop! IMO, if your going to do that, set it down nicely.

One needs a few of these for those certain moments.
    And let’s not forget about those that park in spots that are not for parking.

Attachments:
    1. 5096dc4c0beed73476938711a34fc242.png

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

At times I think it would be fun to take a cooler to the boat launches that get busy, sit on a picnic table, have a beer, and just watch the show. Early mornings are easy, just fisherman and they are ready to get in and out. Its the pleasure boat crowd that amazes me. Last weekend, had a big ski boat, back half way down the ramp, then unstrap the boat, put cooler in boat, get the wife/gf to the dock, check the engine, put up the top, get ropes ready, then wait 10 minutes for his 2 other friends to arrive, before backing in, and then talking on the dock before heading out. All I do is laugh. Then I got my boat to dock, went to back trailer in, had 2 guys blocking the ramp as the took off straps, and filled out launch permit. I asked if they could pull off to the side, and they both got mad, lol You cant make this crap up.
    Dallmans, lake kosh, locals will read this and laugh.

foulpole18
    North Branch, MN

Fishing a little lake that would get somewhat busy. Me and a buddy were watching a guy try to back in, it was going poorly to say the least. After yelling at the wife for a while, she had enough and asked if I would back the boat in for them. I said I would but she would have to tell him I was going to do it for them.

Needless to say he was pissed. She covered her daughters ears and told him I was doing it or they were f’ing leaving. I laughed and backed it in for them then went fishing.

Went to leave and here they are pulling the boat out. The guy forgot to book the safety chain and the winch let lose and he dumped his boat on the landing completely out of the water. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. Thank god we still had some beer left. That took a little while to clean up

brian schultz
    Minot, ND

I fish 90percent by myself. I put the boat in and take out usually three times a week by myself. I’m getting pretty good at it even in the wind. Twice a year my wife might come with. It is better for both of us if I pretend she is not there. When I take the kids they are 7 and 9 they want to help, but then again it’s better if I do it myself. In a few years I will start to work with them on putting the boat on the trailer. My yar-craft trailer is one of the best I have had and if you get it close it guides it on right. I usually power load like 95 percent of the people in ND with bunk trailer. One of my simple pleasures in life is to watch a brand new boat on 4th of July weekend with a husband and wife team. He yells she she yells back and it goes on from there. I will ask if they want help, but usually get the stink eye look. I park my boat get my truck and put the boation the trailer usually before they get there off the trailer.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A lot of this could be eliminated if the license bureaus were require to administer a test on boat/trailer handling and ethical behavior while boating and using the launch site. Just pop the test on them. If they don’t get a 95%, no licenses should be issued. And on top of that they should have to pass a trailer backing test on a course before a license is issued.

Half of the problem, sorry Dean, is boat dealerships wanting to make the almighty buck and selling big, high powered boats to first time buyers that have zero experience.

mrpike1973

My wife and I always every year go to the busiest landing we know and make a day of watching people it is a hoot and I have watched sadly many a divorce unravel. I remember one time a gal was trying to back the trailer in, you know guy yelling in the boat she finally has had enough. she parks the trailer crossways in the docking area walks out locks the truck throws the keys to him intentionally missing him and walks away. Ladies and gentleman that was the most funniest and saddest things I ever watched. Did I forget to mention it was on opener and a minimum of 5 cars deep.

riverruns
    Inactive

I would imagine that everyone is just as polite towing their boats down the road? Never bitching about the other person driving and pulling their boats?

Deuces

A lot of this could be eliminated if the license bureaus were require to administer a test on boat/trailer handling and ethical behavior while boating and using the launch site. Just pop the test on them. If they don’t get a 95%, no licenses should be issued. And on top of that they should have to pass a trailer backing test on a course before a license is issued.

Half of the problem, sorry Dean, is boat dealerships wanting to make the almighty buck and selling big, high powered boats to first time buyers that have zero experience.

This makes my butt hurt even worse, the whole thing, just worse.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I cant imagine sitting at the launch for fun to laugh at people struggling. Seems like a pretty d bag thing.
    Not every one pulls a boat in and out as much as most of you professionals, next time instead of laughing. Try to lend a helping hand. It can go a long ways and maybe can teach others who then will know proper etiquette.
    I understand people get hot real fast especially in a situation that’s under the gun. No need to laugh at them and and make it worse. They have as much right to practice as we all did when we first started.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

My wife and I always every year go to the busiest landing we know and make a day of watching people it is a hoot and I have watched sadly many a divorce unravel. I remember one time a gal was trying to back the trailer in, you know guy yelling in the boat she finally has had enough. she parks the trailer crossways in the docking area walks out locks the truck throws the keys to him intentionally missing him and walks away. Ladies and gentleman that was the most funniest and saddest things I ever watched. Did I forget to mention it was on opener and a minimum of 5 cars deep.

That is hilarious, sad but hilarious! I always keep keys in my pocket and in the truck. So I’m safe from that for now lol

Deuces

I understand people get hot real fast especially in a situation that’s under the gun. No need to laugh at them and and make it worse. They have as much right to practice as we all did when we first started.

I’m pretty sure like myself and most others here as stated do their fair share of helping and at least offering. It’s the d!ckheads of the world at the ramps who have too much pride or ignorance to accept any help and just curse, block, and/or have no clue what’s going on nor cares that we all laugh at.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I cant imagine sitting at the launch for fun to laugh at people struggling.

I live within 200 yds of a landing.

If there’s nothing on TV…. hah

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I love this topic. I used to get upset with some of the clownery that happens at the boat ramp. Now I take it in as amusement and entertainment.

FYI- you need to click on the picture to get the full effect.

Attachments:
    1. 28218.gif

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The only way people will know to prep their boat before lining up to back in (or any of the etiquette issues), is if someone teaches them or tells them politely. No one learns from a Richard (actual guys named Richard excluded). The great irony is all the issues “seasoned” guys have on the loading ramp, it’s always fun to see the issues at Rainy or P4 in the spring. Life’s short, and you can’t take it too seriously, or you’ll never get out alive! rotflol

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Along with the other “etiquettes” turn off your head lights when backing to load/unload your boat on the ramp. Throw on your parking lights.

Gordio

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gordon Hanson wrote:</div>
    Also, this is the first I’ve ever heard that there’s supposed to be priority for those leaving the lake vs those getting there. Pretty sure it’s just get in line, and wait your turn.

You cannot get in line if you are on the water.

When the landing gets full… Spots do not open up unless you let people off.

Often times those coming to the water block in a parked truck so they couldn’t load anyway.

I’ve had as many as 5-6 launch before I can exit. Typically I’ll watch two or three launch and then just as I’m about to get access to the dock to exit, another boat pulls in… And so on.

You can pretty much tell from the water which people entering the landing are even considering those waiting to leave the water. Either way, no biggie.

When I come in alone, I park the boat on the non-ramp side and go get my truck to get in line to pick it out. It doesn’t give me priority, we all wait our turn.

Along with the other “etiquettes” turn off your head lights when backing to load/unload your boat on the ramp. Throw on your parking lights.

My old truck couldn’t turn them off if it was dark. As much as I wanted to at times, sometimes that just isn’t an option.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I cant imagine sitting at the launch for fun to laugh at people struggling. Seems like a pretty d bag thing.
    Not every one pulls a boat in and out as much as most of you professionals, next time instead of laughing. Try to lend a helping hand. It can go a long ways and maybe can teach others who then will know proper etiquette.

Boy…it appears fisherman are a bunch of pricks. No wonder lakeshore owners are wanting private lakes. It’s like you guys think you own the boat launch or something.

The only time I get upset at the launch is when some guy is bragging about how many fish he caught and my livewell sits empty.

Deleted

I watched a 40 something guy and his 70 something mom (I’m guessing) take 39 minutes at a one ramp landing….. to load the pontoon. Most of that time appeared to be spent with the two of them looking for the drain plug?

My brother and I had a 20 yr old kid that tore off his shirt at the dock in about 2006- he wanted to fight both of us cause we asked him if he could use a hand. We laughed at the young pup. Thought about it – but too many witnesses there at lake city.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

beardly wrote:
    My old truck couldn’t turn them off if it was dark. As much as I wanted to at times, sometimes that just isn’t an option.

I had a Chevy truck which I mistakenly thought was built the same as you describe. I too, did not like leaving my lights on at either the ramp or driving thru a campground late at night.
    Turns out I just needed to read the owners manual a bit more closely. All I had to do was engage the parking brake pedal before starting the engine and the lights would stay off. The parking brakes themselves were not engaged, because the pedal did not have to travel that far to activate the sensor for the headlights. I’m not sure why the engineers could not have come up with a better system.
    Once I understood how to operate my truck, it was easy launch at the ramp and drive around camp with the headlights turned off so I wasn’t blinding everyone. This was a model year 2000 Chevy pickup.

Ice Cap

Well said BC. It’s always the smaller more petty person that gets enjoyment from watching others being humiliated and embarrassed. People can be pricks and asses in general especially in these situations. It’s one thing if someone is purposely taking his sweet time getting his boat in the water and is actually holding others up simply because he can. Entirely different from someone who is inexperienced struggling to make things happen.

Reading these stories makes me very pleased that the boat launch we use is private shared by 12 owners but only used regularly by 4. We all know each other and get along. Rarely do I even run into anyone at the launch.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I usually go with a cool head and never in a hurry. If the launch seems particularly bad for a period I just start getting up earlier. It’s like commute traffic, sometimes just 15 – 20 minutes difference can mean the difference between a crowd and nobody.

hnd

if you try and put a boat in on a holiday weekend on a popular body of water and get mad at people at the boat ramp, i don’t know what to tell you.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Agree on getting there early (or stay out late) to avoid the sht-show.

One thing to keep in mind I didn’t see pointed out. There is a high likely hood that one of the persons is “Helping” the boat owner. Meaning he is probably unfamiliar with the tow vehicle or boat and just trying to be careful. In the effort to speed things along he is being asked to either back in – park the truck/trailer or take the boat. Both options may slow things up just because he/she has never done it before.

Heck, I consider myself pretty good a running boats and backing trailers. But put me in a truck where the seat and mirrors are not set the way I like and I’ll look like a 2 yr old driver.

-J.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The last 6 times I have been out this year I have helped people out. My son asked “what are you doing Dad that’s not your boat.” the first time. Now he looks around and says I think they might need some help. I don’t mind losing a little time on the water to help someone. In most cases I gain time on the water since I did help and now they are out of my way.

About 3 weeks ago a huge pontoon can into load and it was windy. He was having one hell of a time getting onto his trailer. I got out of my truck to help him and then another 4 people came over to help him. It kind of like the pay it forward thing.

I used to think I was good at backing my empty boat trailer up. With my new truck I can’t see my trailer until it is off to the side. I am getting better in guessing where it is. My first time pulling my boat out this year must have looked like I was working a jack pot on the ramp.

Kelly Jordan
    Fort Atikinson,Wisc

I have helped many times, if im waiting in line.Its not the people struggling I laugh at.( I have backed in a trailer for someone before) Its the people that don’t have one once of respect for others, they block the ramp, then get boat ready, sit at the dock till the rest of people they are waiting for arrive. then act like your I the wrong for asking if they could move , or get boat ready off to the side.The part where the comedy comes in, is I just laugh it off, not out loud, but to myself, no need to get upset. But others like to get heated up. Its the unpleasure boat crowd for most part on launches I use. Had one a couple days ago, put in their pontoon early in am, no one was even parked in lot yet. Took up 4 spots with truck and trailer.

Too many people just don’t care about anything but themselves.
    So yes there can be some funny crap going down at the launch.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.