Big Sandy Opener – Plan Accordingly

• sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Was up at Eagle Point this weekend and the water is obviously still high but going down.
    At this time, they have not enforced a “No Wake” yet. Not sure why they haven’t.
    What I can tell you is you are going to have a tough time finding a ramp to launch your boat.
    After that you are going to be sneaking under bridges. Not sure if a Pontoon will make the Zorbaz bridge.
    LOTS OF DEBRIS ON THE LAKE! Be careful out there.

One week to go!

Shannon

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Yeah, I don’t understand not enforcing a no-wake yet. I’ll be holding off launching in BSL until it drops a couple feet. Might be good fishing right from shore this year! Shannon, I believe I’m straight east of you across Davis bay on the point.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

@Joe Yes sir you are! You are in a prime spot to see boat traffic on the weekends. If they get the docks anchored this week it might be my best bet.

Do you fish plastics at all on Sandy for walleyes?

toddrun

I may have lucked out then, we cannot make it up opener weekend, graduation, but will be up the week after. Give the lake a bit of time to settle. The fishing is usually better the week after anyways.

Shannon, I have run lots of plastics on BSL on opening week. Never found anything that worked with any confidence. Tried plastic leeches, minnows and crawlers, several different presentations and brands.

My group has crawler guys, leech guys and minnow guys, and every year is different on which works the best. BSL is like fishing a new lake every year, in our experience.

dbright
    Cambridge

If I am out on the boat I am almost always throwing plastics shallow. From the dock or shore out catches almost every year though. This would be a great year for plastics up extremely shallow.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

A white 3” grub has done well for me off the dock. Most of my walleyes have come on a jig and minnow though. Often a big fat head. Never tried spot tails out there.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I love pulling Ring Grubs across the rock flats mid-summer evenings. It took a while to get someone to start making them again but the basic colors are out now. I dont think I can post a link but will try.

Freedom Baitz – Ring of Fire

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.