Big Bluegills Keep or release?

• DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I had a great day chasing bluegill the other day and was keeping some 7-8inchers for a dinner but putting back all of my big males and females as I feel that’s just good practice… but I would love to hear everyone’s opinion on this!

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

Where’s your bump board? wink

IceHawk
    Richmond mn

Great Job and Thanks on the Releases. We have a rule with the group of guys I fish with any gill 9 inches or better pic if u wan then released. No matter Male or female.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Where’s your bump board? wink

I really want one of those Gill Basket/Bump Boards the big gill guys all over the northern ice belt use to weight and measure their gills fast!

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

IceHawk that is a great rule to have! I like the fact that its a default rule and you don’t need to go into spacifics of male or female! Just if its big let it go! Sometimes I get very analytical with them and if I am looking at a male bluegill thats 7 or 8in and I see the “Monster Gill” genetic traits I will also let those go but I have seen some freaks and really pay attention to how they look and what some of the common characteristics in them is to watch for in smaller fish!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

In most waters the truly BIG sunfish is in the minority. Keep 8″ fish for the table unless the 8″ fish is a big one for that particular body of water, then the 8″ers need to be protected. There are hundreds of lakes and ponds and backwaters that are thick with somewhat smaller, 7 and 8 inch, fish that eat better than the big ones. Perch should get the same treatment.

I keep darned few sunfish and fewer yet perch because I hate cleaning them. If one gets deep hooked and is bleeding from the gills I’ll hold it to see if it’ll recover enough to release. If they go belly up then of course I’ll clean them and eat them but my preference on both is to c/r them.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

keep females, release males

use bullhead for flathead bait

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I release all males over 7″, I release all females over 9″. I fish a lake with 11.5+ inch bluegill, and catch and release is the only reason there’s any left.

eyeguy54

yes indeed, anything 9 and over goes back. 8 to 8.5 dandy eaters.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I had a great day chasing bluegill the other day and was keeping some 7-8inchers for a dinner but putting back all of my big males and females as I feel that’s just good practice… but I would love to hear everyone’s opinion on this!

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.23%;”><iframe id=”fitvid494873″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/uoLySh_Uo1s?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture”></iframe></div></div>

I believe that 7-8″ fish are the best size to keep and eat. In waters with a good population of 8-9″ fish I will keep a few of them as well if needed to make a meal. Like others said – It mostly depends on the size of fish within the lake.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Keep up to 9. Anything over 9, keep the cheeks and release. devil

craig s

8.5″and under.

The difference in the amount of meat between an 8″ and a 9 1/2″er is almost unnoticeable.

eyeguy54

hmmmm, I cleaned a few that size a few years ago and a 9.5 had a lot more meat than an 8. they go free now days for somebody else’s bucket.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

In most waters the truly BIG sunfish is in the minority. Keep 8″ fish for the table unless the 8″ fish is a big one for that particular body of water, then the 8″ers need to be protected. There are hundreds of lakes and ponds and backwaters that are thick with somewhat smaller, 7 and 8 inch, fish that eat better than the big ones. Perch should get the same treatment.

I keep darned few sunfish and fewer yet <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch because I hate cleaning them. If one gets deep hooked and is bleeding from the gills I’ll hold it to see if it’ll recover enough to release. If they go belly up then of course I’ll clean them and eat them but my preference on both is to c/r them.

I like the way you think!

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Keep and release to the flatheads ;)

Lol How did I know you would chime in on this! It don’t count with you because you catch FREAKS of the kitty world!

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I release all males over 7″, I release all females over 9″. I fish a lake with 11.5+ inch bluegill, and catch and release is the only reason there’s any left.

You have a special lake! and sound like your on track with perfect management!

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

yes indeed, anything 9 and over goes back. 8 to 8.5 dandy eaters.

I agree a good 8in fish is a great eater if I’m looking for some good fresh fish!

eyeguy54

Pickling up a bunch right now. )

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

How does pickled gill taste in comparison to pickled pike? I have always wondered?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

How does pickled gill taste in comparison to pickled pike? I have always wondered?

…Just like everything else that’s been pickled!

eyeguy54

will find out in a week. ) first timer with gills.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DWSDave31 wrote:</div>

…Just like everything else that’s been pickled!

Some things don’t tase as good pickled doah

But now that we are on the subject of it! I need to go catch some Pike to Pickle!!! yay yay yay yay

milemark_714

Very similar to pickled perch,which are excellent.You could keep those watch fob bluegills,just scale and gut them for pickling.I even seen some where the heads were still on them.Not for me.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I keep to eat. If they are bigger I keep fewer. As infrequently as I get out I dont eat that many any more. All the more reason to keep any eaters I catch.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DWSDave31 wrote:</div>

Very similar to pickled perch,which are excellent.You could keep those watch fob bluegills,just scale and gut them for pickling.I even seen some where the heads were still on them.Not for me.

Well now I have a whole new reason to get some perch and gills to clean if they are good pickled!!!!

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I often keep them in the 7.5-8.5″ range. Bluegill moistened with water, tossed in Zatarain’s Crispy Southern, and deep fried in peanut oil for 3 minutes is one of my favorite foods.

I’d rather keep a number of fish in that range than keep and eat the big breeders. Sure there a nice pile of meat on a 9″ bluegill, but it doesn’t sit well with me.

The limit is 20 per person per day, which is a joke, but that’s another thread for another day. I often portion my fish in 8oz portions when I freeze them. A bluegill fillet in the range I mentioned is about an ounce or a hair more. In other words, a limit can produce 40-45 oz of meat. Overkill. Some people keep that almost daily, because nobody is realistically going to do anything about it. Sad.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Bass I completely agree on portions since I have been in the world of fitness for almost 20yrs now I only need to eat about 4 to 8 bluegill fillets at any given meal to get what I need from it and have it taste good lol so that’s really all Ill ever keep normally is 2 to 4 gills for myself or if I am feeding the GF and I ill keep 8-10 max and it still makes me wonder to this day why 10 isn’t the limit? if its one person going out thats plenty for 2 meals and if 2 people go out thats 40 fillets… thats a lot of food for anyone but then again people are greedy and over eat on the regular. Very happy to see as many people in here as I do so far that have self imposed limits as that means there still is hope for the feisty little saucers that can pull drag!!!

eyeguy54

we like to eat fish once a week. Occasionally 2 times. Switched over to coconut oil from peanut oil a month ago. Really like it. 6 or 7, 8 to 8.5 inchers is just right for the 2 of us. Usually a couple pieces left for her lunch the next day at school. I think a lot of people keep the 6 and 7 inchers so maybe thats why the limit is 20? who knows. WIll do a taste test on the pickled gills Friday and let ya know how they are.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

WIll do a taste test on the pickled gills Friday and let ya know how they are.

Much appreciated! I know a few lakes with endless numbers of 7in fish lol Would love to pickle some up if they are good!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.