Best base layer

• Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I’m looking for the best base layer (long underwear) that won’t break the bank. I do not like tight fitting and would rather have a loose fitting. I know that UA and Sitka make great products, but can be expensive. Maybe Cabela’s but not close to one to check them out. Let me know what your experiences are. Thanks.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Helly Hansen. Quality materials and quality design. But it breaks the bank.

I believe under Armour is quality materials used in a bad design.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Hands down best layer of base:

lundojam

JD has the best answer. Very Paul-Lynde-on-Hollywood-Squares-like.

I say silk.

milemark_714

Cabela’s MTP is very nice,and often on sale.Holds up very well,but not much choice for colors.Hand wash and they will last a long time.

Bassn Dan

http://wickers.com/

Top quality products made in the USA, with no double-the-price cutesy logos on them… AND they have TALL sizes!!!

They have 20% off sales fairly often so sign up for their e-newsletter.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I bought some military surplus stuff online for spares awhile back. Gen II or III extreme cold weather something something (can’t remember exactly what they are called). Anyway they were about 1/3 the cost of some of the Cabelas stuff I have and I cant tell much difference. Maybe worth checking it out.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

My wife picked me up a set of Polarmax I believe it’s called from Fleet Farm on Black Friday this past year. I was skeptical to say the least with the price tag that accompanied it. To my surprise it has quickly become a favorite of mine surpassing the more expensive onyx set that I have.

For a budget friendly base layer i would at least take a look

Robert owens

I use cabela ecwcs polar weight. It’Cheeper than under armour and it has thumb holes to keep it from ridding up. I work out in the ND oil patch and work out in the cold for hours 18+ and it keeps me pretty warm.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Under Armor shirt for me and Ice Armor on the legs. The shirt was $50 at Dicks and I wear 3 sweatshirts over that (IDO hoodie on the outside of course). I’ll never wear a coat again and actually right now don’t even own a coat. I wear an old pair of lined Cabelas gortex hunting pants and Ice Armor socks with Muck boots. The shirt may be a bit pricy but I don’t overheat drilling holes and don’t chill cooling down so I’m 100% satisfied.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Cabela’s MTP is very nice,and often on sale.Holds up very well,but not much choice for colors.Hand wash and they will last a long time.

x2 on the MTP Polar Weight. they are often on sale for 1/3 of the normal cost and they make a great base layer (they are right now in fact). i own two pair of the tops and bottoms. i wear them hunting and fishing in the coldest weather and they provide warmrth. only thing is, per your post you dont like tight fitting clothing, and these hold very tight to the skin (better for warmth that way).

Bob Olson

As Bassn Dan said, Wickers is a good, inexpensive, functional base layer. I use the lightweight for general outdoor use. It fits easily under my normal clothes, and provides just enough of a base for active use. For hunting I like camo Merino wool products. I bought a few sets of First Lite from Cabelas when they were on sale (about this time of year), and they’re awesome as well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.