Update on 10/23 DNR meeting regarding new rule pac

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I’m not sure if we made any progress on the livewell issue. When the DNR transports fish in trucks, they use 1 gal water per lb. of fish, so they want to apply this to everything. They seemed to be taking notes on our discussion so maybe they will heard something. We pointed out that most boats don’t have livewells large enough to hold this much water and that it would be pushing the limits of most aeration systems to maintain 5 parts oxygen in such a large container of water.

We also brought up that none of the release boats in MN, have this carrying capacity.

We didn’t get anywhere with the parking issue, they think a parking plan is the way to go. But, there maybe some future changes due to questions about Sheriff’s enforcement of this. As most of us know the local sheriffs are tagging Tournament Directors for filling the lot with boats. We want to know that if we have a parking plan, who lets the Sheriff and all other local authorities know?

If the rule passes, I guess we can all go home to our wife’s and tell them that the DNR is making us buy new boats

willie boy
    Cornhusker Central ... HELP!

I know the proposal indicates hard-ship to the competitive angler. However, is anyone saying that the DNR is ‘wrong’ in promoting best practices to enable successful catch and release?

In other words, has the need for ego driven competition overcome any focus on conservation…which used to be a huge part of BASS…and the driving force from ‘stringers’ to livewells. Would this simply not be the next logical step?

Last question: using something like the ‘Oxygenator’ a relatively cheap piece of equipment, what O2 levels in PPM are possible? I’ll check and get back on that…

now is later…

Just got off the phone with Denny over at http://www.keepfishalive.com might be an option worth exploring.

It’s interesting to me to note that the DNR isn’t trying to stop anything…seems to me they’re just asking folks to do what ought to be done anyway… the DNR down here doesn’t require this stuff…however, knowing what I’m trying to do as a sportsman, I’ve installed one in my boat. Even though I use the livewell about 1 time a year.

It’s an insurance policy for when I get that state record and need to be able to get her weighed and back to the water healthy…

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

If they stick with the one gallon of water to pound of fish, most older bass boats couldn’t be used in a permitted tournament. The oxygenator or even bottled air wouldn’t mitigate this. I have a oxygenator in my boat and it does a good job, but it doesn’t take the place of fresh water. All that should be required is a functioning livewell system and the knowledge of how to use it.

willie boy
    Cornhusker Central ... HELP!

Quote:

If they stick with the one gallon of water to pound of fish, most older bass boats couldn’t be used in a permitted tournament. The oxygenator or even bottled air wouldn’t mitigate this. I have a oxygenator in my boat and it does a good job, but it doesn’t take the place of fresh water. All that should be required is a functioning livewell system and the knowledge of how to use it.

No arguments…but shouldn’t that also be a part of the ‘price of admission’ to compete?

bassrap

DNR Fisheries Chief Ron Payer will be speaking at the MFBA meeting on 12/8 to address the proposed changes.

Here is the link to the meeting information:

MFBA meeting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.