Heavy or light?

• bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

say you are fishing a laydown or stump in a moderate current area- do you a)fish light plastic lures/jigs, light line and let the lure drift past the cover in a natural fashion or b)fish a heavy soft plastic lure/jig, drop it on the spot and hope for a reaction bite c) fish a spinnerbait, swim jig or crankbait and run it into the cover.

I know this is a general question and all of the above may work, but say you were pre-fishing under stable weather and water conditions and trying to see if there was fish, what way do you think would give you the most accurate/consistent idea of if there are fish there?

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

question is to broad….it all depends on river conditions, and what not, I cannot answer the question…..too vague…

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

c) fish a spinnerbait, swim jig or crankbait and run it into the cover

I would choose C. I think stumps & knocking things off of them go hand in hand. My first choice would be a spinnerbait or a jig but only cause I tend to get hung less then when I fire a trebled crankbait into a laydown. Square billed crank would be a good choice as they tend to have a different action when defelecting off things. C is also a “natural” presentation of wounded baitfish or shad nailing their confused skull off of cover. Choice A & B are things I might use if weather or water conditions are or have recently changed. My own comfort level & fishing style is C.

Also, great question !

CentralBassman

B and C

If I am pre fishing for a tournament i don’t want to sit there and wait around, i want to cover a lot of water to find active fish and get reaction strikes… Plus i have confidences in it!!! Just my .02

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

C first, then B.

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Depending on the weather I guess I would try a swim jig or buzz bait first. Then go back and deadstick a fluke, followed up by a jig.

If there is current, I feel that actually a moving bait would get them just as easy because they will position themselves on the structure ready to attack.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.