How many 5lb’ers does it take?

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

How many 5lb bass does it take to have a great day on the water?

For me 2 is pretty nice, especially when it is mixed with several 3’s and a few 4s.

There are places on the river where the bass are beginning to move into spawning areas and they are really more aggressive than you would think.

They are being caught on tubes, jerk baits and swim jigs. The Swim jig was the best producer of the day. When the sun finally came out that seemed to turn them on!

Fun day all around

danwi
    westby wi

come on Saturday

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

It only takes 1 TRUE 5lb’er for this guy.

I love seeing those big girls all pissed off!

kris_brantner
    My river

ya we were down by lax today and caught them on pointers mostly, some on rat l traps and diamond shads, and then some on shallow running cranks. never didn try the swim jigs.

jimt
    Sparta, WI

My boat is in the shop…you’re killing me!!!

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Jimt,
    I am still KICKING myself for not getting your old boat! Man was that dumb of me.
    Hope it gets out of the shop soon and you hit the water.
    I would guess if the sun would have been out today you guys could be smahing them (bass) in the shallow areas. If not out green friends I would think that the Pike will be just crushing a rattle trap or spinner bait really soon!

welter
    Prairie du Chien, WI

I’ve been out a few times haven’t caught jack. What are you guys doing that i’m not!!!???

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Swim jigs? ok, fill me in…how are you fishing these and where? to me, a swim jig doesn’t sound like it would do much damage right now especially in shallow cover this early. Are you swimming it slow for suspended fish or what? i’m confused. I don’t know if i’ll get out this sunday, but with your results, i will have to try. Maybe give up a leg or something to get out, but ill try.

kris_brantner
    My river

well where i was the temps were about 50 degrees. we worked all of the cranks pretty fast for this time of year actually. here is one that was caught on a lucky craft pointer

kris_brantner
    My river

and this one on a crawfish colored rat-l-trap. both fish were around 4 lb

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I just wanted to pull this up again to show that back in March of 06 we were catching some nice bass in late march on open water that was in the mid 50’s.
    ICE, GO AWAY!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.