Bait coolers

• CaptainMusky

Frozen water bottles. Switch out as often as needed.

-J.

Yep, that or just throw some ice in there throughout the day.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I use the Engel 7.5 with their Lithium pump, fits inside my ATV’s Monster Box bucket holder for ice fishing, not too heavy to lug around by hand. Obviously you need to change the water out more frequently though…. The new pump is a game changer, so quiet and rechargeable. I also upgraded to a larger bubbler that suctions to the inside…

Just did the same as you ! Kinda pricey but more manageable . Have not used it yet , pretty soon i hope LOL

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Frozen water bottles. Switch out as often as needed.

-J.

X2. If you are able to change switch out the water during the day all the better but would need to make sure the water temp is similar so you dont shock the bait

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

X2. If you are able to change switch out the water during the day all the better but would need to make sure the water temp is similar so you dont shock the bait

I do do that. Easy to do, and enjoyable. Especially in the surf.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8130.jpeg

OG Net_Man

Instead of dropping the ice directly in to the water I see better results by putting the ice (normally frozen water bottle or such) in a tray that sits above the waterline. The larger Engle bait coolers come with a tray inside that works ideal for this purpose.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Instead of dropping the ice directly in to the water I see better results by putting the ice (normally frozen water bottle or such) in a tray that sits above the waterline. The larger Engle bait coolers come with a tray inside that works ideal for this purpose.

Can you speculate as to why you think this works better? I’m curious

OG Net_Man

Dropping the ice directly in to the water generally drops the water temp more than I desire unless you limit the amount of ice thrown in. Putting in small amounts of ice multiple times in the day to keep a more constant water temp is not very convenient.

Having the ice in a tray above the water line melts the ice at a slower rate. This will cool the water at a more consistent rate. This method works well for keeping bait alive overnight in hot weather. Generally a bottle of ice in the tray in the morning and once again in the evening keeps bait alive for several days while not fishing.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.