ATV or UTV?

• phillipjflores
    Stanchfield

Looking to upgrade from a 4 wheeler to a side by side. If you had your choice would you go with a standard ranger or a rzr style of side by side. What size motor would you go with? What accessories would you install? Looking for ideas. Thanks in advance.

dbright
    Cambridge

I am not a polaris fan but the ranger wins hands down over rzr for ice fishing. We can fit auger,pop-up, and all are gear for 3 guys in my buddies ranger. If money is not a problem one of the hard sided cabs and heat are great. Tracks are very useful when you need them which for us is not very often in central mn.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

To me, those RZRs look like they are tuned for the go-fast desert-running and trail riding crowd. Everybody down in the SW USA seems to have one now.

I’d think for ice fishing you’d be working the machine harder and hauling more than a RZR was designed to handle. Deep snow, slush, heavy loads, etc.

I’m not sure power is really an issue for the Ranger. They’re work machines, so even the base model is going to have the capacity for portable fishing. Obviously different story if you’re looking to drag around a hard side or a wheel house from spot to spot.

Tracks look really cool, but just my observation, everyone who has them seems to talk a lot about the downsides of flying snow, loss of power, increased fuel consumption, they still don’t make it into a snowmobile, and of course the cost is significant. I have to think a UTV with chains would go through a lot of stuff.

Personally, for winter use I’d want as full a cab as you can afford. A winch on an ATV/UTV is also a necessity IMO.

The other thing that’s missing on many work machines is enough lights. I’d go with a full-width LED off road light bar on the top or front, then I’d also install separate side and back facing LED work lights on separate switches. You can never have too much light for setting up, taking down, loading, and unloading.

Grouse

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

It all depends what you want it for and how your going to use it. Do you need it to have a bigger box? Do you need to be able to seat more people? SO on so forth. I would go with the utility style because of the extra space in the box. However I would use that extra space. If you are getting it more for just ridding and maybe take it ice fishing or maybe take it hunting you could go with the ones with a smaller bow. If you have a bigger family maybe a four seater is what you need. There is a tool for every job you need to pick the right tool for your job. Take into account HP size and all the features find what you can and can’t live without and go from there. I know you will enjoy what ever you get. Just make sure you know some of them are designed for specific things like mudding and rock climbing.

mozy
    LQP

Ranger, no question. The bed on a Rzr is tiny, about large enough for a cooler and that’s it. The Ranger has a bench seat for 3 people, Rzr has buckets. Ranger also has the best cab system out there, very easy to put on and take off.

If you’re looking for something a little sportier, but not quite a Rzr, Polaris just released the General which is a nice combination of the two.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Looking to upgrade from a 4 wheeler to a side by side. If you had your choice would you go with a standard ranger or a rzr style of side by side. What size motor would you go with? What accessories would you install? Looking for ideas. Thanks in advance.

Phillip
    You owe it too yourself to at least check out the Can Am Commander. Last year I was looking at the Ranger great machine but reminded me of a tractor. It is a work machine. I liked the performance of the Razr but there is so little room to haul your gear. I purchased the Commander with the 1000 cc engine. It provides you the best of both worlds. I take it ice fishing and can keep up with my buddies tricked our Razr’s on the trails.

Below is a picture of my brother and my Commander towing my Clam Yukon. This year it will be towing my Otter Lodge.

Attachments:
    1. DSC00160_11.jpg

D. Walker
    Lakeville MN

I am in the same boat and have done a fair amount of personal research. Here is where it boils down for my needs…
    I have had many ATVs and currently have 2 and want to add a side by side to the stable. My choice hands-down is the new Yamaha Wolverine. In my opinion it is perfect for my needs because it is a machine for spirited trail riding and hunting/fishing/hauling. Good luck with your choice. There are a lot of good choices out there; it all depends on your planned use and personal preference.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I am in the same boat and have done a fair amount of personal research. Here is where it boils down for my needs…
    I have had many ATVs and currently have 2 and want to add a side by side to the stable. My choice hands-down is the new Yamaha Wolverine. In my opinion it is perfect for my needs because it is a machine for spirited trail riding and hunting/fishing/hauling. Good luck with your choice. There are a lot of good choices out there; it all depends on your planned use and personal preference.

An impressive machine !!

zooks

I am not a polaris fan but the ranger wins hands down over rzr for ice fishing. We can fit auger,pop-up, and all are gear for 3 guys in my buddies ranger. If money is not a problem one of the hard sided cabs and heat are great. Tracks are very useful when you need them which for us is not very often in central mn.

I agree with what’s been said about style of vehicle (will leave the make up to you) but 100% agree with this RE: hard cab and heat – if you can swing it, it’s totally worth the $$. Also a hard cab is a must IMO if you buy tracks – it gets sloppy fast on late ice and it’s no fun being wet.

Good luck with what you decide.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I purchased my Commander knowing if I wanted to add tracks I could. Not sure if I will ever get the courage to pay for them hahaha. But it does take some HP to turn them so I would not go lite on power. If you go Ranger I would be in the 900cc plus for engine size.

As others have said hard cab is a must because the tracks throw snow (into your cab if open)

I would add while there are good after market track manufacturers. I can only speak for Can Am with their tracks they come with a wiring harness that will provide accurate speed and odometer information when spinning tracks.

Jake
    Brainerd

Check out the new Polaris General that launched last week? Ranger/RZR hybrid. 1000cc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.