Grandson’s first buck

• 2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

My 11 yr. old grandson has been a hunting enthusiast all his life, tagging along with his Dad whenever he got out in the woods. This year he was able to carry his own bow under the mentor program. His Uncle Grant got him a new Mathews bow and the boy practiced every night before season to get his draw weight up.

Last night he took a 10 yard shot at his first buck. Good shot, good blood at first, then it was getting sparse as the light faded. So, they backed out and called for a couple buddies to come help, with additional light. They followed the original trail they had marked with toilet paper, and continued to find blood. When it got a little spotty again, one friend walked up a trail, and he found a speck of blood and saw the buck laying up ahead……he called out, “I’ve got blood here……bring me some paper to mark it Mitch”. After they marked the spot, he told Mitch to walk up the trail and see if he could find any more blood…within a minute, the woods echoed with “DAD! HERE HE IS! I FOUND MY BUCK!” My son got the shot on tape, but wished he could have captured that moment on tape too.

This kid is hooked for life now!

June

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Great story! He won’t forget that one!

robby
    Quad Cities

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Great story June. Good to hear he got his first bow buck. By the way the fishing rod holder is still working great. Well worth the drive down there last year.

abster71
    crawford county WI

Great job Mitch congrats on your first buck and many more to come keep it up.

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats Mitch On a great first buck

lick

atta boy Mitch

jorgy
    rochester

Thats what its all about. Congrats

coppertop
    Central MN

Thanks for putting a smile on my face. Awesome story. Way to go Mitch!

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeff_hansen

Nice job, Mitch… congrats on your first buck

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

That is great!!!!!!!!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Wow – What a great story! It actually brought a tear to my eye when the other hunters let Mitch find his own buck! It just doesn’t get any better than that!

Thanks for sharing j2ranch! One of the best posts that I’ve read here on IDO!

Besox

Great, great read! Congrats on that awesome buck! Hopefully the archery community has another lifetime member!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Great story and a big congrats Mitch

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Mitch came down to the farm to hunt last night, I got to watch the video of his shot, and the inevitable shakes afterwards……….he was talking a mile a minute. I then found out that he had watched the twin bucks come in and feed around him for about 20 minutes before he could get a shot.
    I asked him what he learned that night, he said the biggest thing was tracking. He said he learned to go slow, and to not only look on the ground, but the trees/shrubs/ and grasses for blood, and to keep marking it with toilet paper flags, then you could look back and see how the deer had traveled, and have a better guess at which runway he would take in front of you. The boy is like a sponge when it comes to picking things up. I was quite proud that he wasn’t only concerned with just shooting something, but taking the time to pick the better deer out of the two (he said the other one had a real flat tine on the one side, this one was better), and being concerned to not mess up the tracking by being in too big of a hurry.

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Awesome hunt!

Thanks for sharing a great story and pictures and Congrats on a nice buck!

Jeff

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Mitch can help track my buck any time!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I love to hear stories like that. I recall my brother’s daughter Danielle and her first bow deer…and the look on her face after we found it in a CRP field! I can only imagine what Mitch was feeling when he first set his eyes on his trophy! Thanks for sharing!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

The future of hunting is looking good> thanks for sharing and congrats to the young’n …

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

That is an awesome story thanks for sharing it with us, congrats to Mitch!

If you can get that video on Youtube we could post it here on the site if you like.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.