How many bows have you owned?

• bennyj
    sunrise mn

I think its kinda of fun to see what everyone has started with and what they have worked into. I have been shooting for a little over 10 years.

I started out using a Jennings I don’t remember the name of it. It was my dad’s bow and it was like the first compound bow ever. I am not sure about it that but it looked like it.

2nd PSE nova
    3rd PSE viking
    Curently Bowtech tomcat

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Only two:

1st PSE Nova (Tack Drivin Pass Through Deer killing Machine!)

2nd Mathews Legacy (Sweetest bow I have ever Shot)

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Quote:

I think its kinda of fun to see what everyone has started with and what they have worked into. I have been shooting for a little over 10 years.

I started out using a Jennings I don’t remember the name of it. It was my dad’s bow and it was like the first compound bow ever. I am not sure about it that but it looked like it.

2nd PSE nova
    3rd PSE viking
    Curently Bowtech tomcat

I wonder if it was a Jennings Buckmaster they were very popular in the 90s

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

My transition of bows thru the years for hunting

1980 – 1997 Bear – Whitetail – still have don’t use
    1997 Hoyt – Tenacity
    1998 Hoyt – Ultra-Tec
    2003 – 2004 Merlin – K-3000
    2005 – 2006 Mathews – Switchback – still have – awesome bow
    2007 – 2009 Mathews – Prestige – the ultimate tack driver – has killed many animals- My Favorite Bow the Prestige
    2009 – Mathews Reezen – also in the truck – shooting very well but the Prestige is in the truck also

Good Luck Folks this Fall!

benjisdad
    Newton, Iowa

Including the one I have now??…. 1….
    Its a Hoyt Striker, 65#, 27 inch draw. Just getting started. Thinking this is just the first of a few any way.

perchhead

I started shooting at age 8
    Bear youth recurve
    Dads 45lb Bear recurve
    PSE Phaser
    PSE Carrol Intruder

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Still on my first bow. Some old and slow PSE, but it’s ok for now. May have to get to Schaeffer’s next summer to upgrade.

SKarlberg

My wife says too many. I try and get a new Mathews every 2-3 years to keep up with technology. Back in 1985, my first bow was a Martin something.

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

1979 started with a Fred Bear Kodiak Recurve. My youngest daughter broke the limbs on it 3 years ago

For our Christmas present one year, our parents upgraded us to a Sears Roebuck Blazer compound bow. Neither Mike or I could pull it back, so we continued to use the recurves until we had enough strength to pull it back. Shot my first deer with this bow – basket rack 8. It was huge for a 15 year old!

Proline ? – 1980’s
    Proline Force II – Late 1980’s to Early 1990’s
    PSE Marauder – Early 1990’s to 2007
    Bowtech Guardian – 2007 to present

big_g
    Isle, MN

Early 80’s = Indian Deer Slayer, bought at Zayres Shopper City…. deer slayed = 0

Early 90’s = Oneida Golden Eagle, bought from a co-worker.

2005 = HOYT V-Tec….. presently have, love this bow

zmax54636

Just 2 high country american, and what I currently use now an older matthews zmax that has been good to me so far.

little_g
    durand WI

When I was 12 I shot a shadow 100, year 1991.
    93 high country silent hunter.
    95 pse dominator
    98 mathews fx
    Then the lx ,switch back and now a 45 pound recurve.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

My first bow was a bear recurve but so long ago the only thing I remember is its color, brown and gray.

My second was a Pse forgot the name in the early 90’s
    My third was a Darton Maverick that I could drive nails with and shot 3-d’s and hunters bow league with and sold that.

The bow I have presently is a bow I bought from Tom Gursky all set up and its a Mathews Icon. Tom sent it to me after he had tuned it in and you can also drive nails with it. I pull 65 pounds @ a 29″ and its a really nice smooth bow.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

3 for me

yet another old and slow hand me down PSE. but man did that thing put meat in the freezer.

upgraded to a hoyt MT sport which I still believe is hexed. I went through a 4 year dry spell with that bow and never had so many bad things happen while bow hunting.

Picked up a Gander Mtn Elite Tech (Diamond Marquis) 2 years ago and been the smack down on em ever since

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Ive owned 4 and i plan on upgrading w/i 2 years

2002-2004= PSE Nova Arson cam, killed 3 deer
    2005-2006= Jennings something , killed 4 deer
    2007= Cabelas/AR Outfitter Series, killed 2 deer, 1 turkey, and 3 hogs
    2008-present= G5 Quest QS 31, killed 5 deer and 1 turkey

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

One
    Matthews Switchback, shes going on 5 years this year… Every time I go to Schaffers I get the itch, but I really like this one, so I’ll keep her for a while

Jami

whittsend

1 = Proline?? (Starter bow)
    2 = Browning cheapy… (POS)
    3 = Bowtech Patriot. (2004?) The sweetest, fastest most accurate bow I’ve shot. Hands down fit me better/shot better when I shot that vs the Matthews during my test drives. It shoots so well, I see no reason at all to upgrade. Love Bowtech. Awesome!

Mike

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

PSE Nova- still got it!
    Browning Ballistic Mirage- Brother still shoots it.
    Browning Blood Brother- POS
    Hoyt Ultrasport
    Hoyt Trykon
    Mission X4
    Hoyt Alpha MAX

little_g
    durand WI

I see everyone goes forward with technology and I go the other way, on that note if you have never hunted with a recurve try it sometime its defiantly a challenge and a lot of fun.

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

I hear ya little g. A few years ago I went down to the basement to dust off the ol Fred Bear bow and start shooting it again. Needless to say i was quite disappointed when I found that both limbs were broke. Not sure how my daughter manage to do that. I still want to get back to the recurve or long bow.

MikeReneeHolt

Started bow hunting when i was 12 years old
    2002-2008 Browning Buckhunter
    2008-present Mathew Drenalin

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

1st – Jennings Sidekick (sometime around 1979, killed many)
    2nd – Some kind of Browning compound (never liked, shot a few)
    3rd – PSE Vector (broke limbs, killed many)
    4th – Proline Typhone XT (broke limbs, killed very many)
    5th – Mathiews LX (present and hopefully last – unless it breaks, killed 6 so far)
    If I ever need another, I will be going back to a recurv. I’ve had enough technology. It will also be time to make my own arrows too!

jeff-rudy
    Rosemount, MN

My first bow was a hand me down from my Dad’s coworker when I was 17. It was an old Fred Bear compound, not even sure anymore what model. I taught myself to shoot with it over the course of a year, and loved every minute of it.

I bought myself my first new bow when I decided it was time to hunt, a Fred Bear Vapor 300. I killed quite a few deer with it over five seasons, including my biggest buck to date.

Last year I gave in and purchased a new Diamond Black Ice after shooting about every brand and model bow out there. I can’t imagine a better balanced smoother shooting bow, and plan on shooting it for a long time. I can’t wait to whack a few with it this fall!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey Yfarm welcome to the site.

jcthorson
    Austin, MN

4 so far…..
    Started out with one of them Brave youth bows before i was able to hunt.
    Then went to some old browning that i used for one year. Never killed one with it. In fact only shot at one deer with it.
    Bought a Parker Hunter Mag back in 06. Shot my first archery killed deer. Small 8 pointer. Shot three more does with that.
    Just a month ago bought a Mathews DXT. Hoping to hammer one this saturday.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Bear
    Hoyt
    XI- silver hawk
    XI- contender?
    Hoyt
    Jennings- Rack master (now it’s my backup)
    Mathews- Switchback

lick

too many to list

i can only remember the ones that i blew up

martin pantera
    martin scepter
    golden eagle 3d
    had 4 or 5 before that and 3 mathews since then hope to break in my reezen this sat eve

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Excellent post bennyJ!

Pearson
    Mathews Legacy
    Mathews Drenalin

mossyoak
    UP Michigan

I have had a couple different my first was a browning micro madis I shot that from 7-13 yrs.After that I got a Golden eagle Carbon hawk which I only had for 1 year till I was 14 then I won my first mathews which was a MQ-32 hunted with that till I was 19 then bought a Mathews Switchback xt till this year I am now shooting a Mathews Monster Great bow I love it

rsballar6941
    Rochester, MN

First bow
    -Old school martin somewhere back from the early 1900s I think
    Second bow
    -PSE Nova, this was a deer slaying machine. Had it since 2000
    Third Bow
    -Matthew’s DXT, still haven’t received the bow but cant wait for it to get here

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.