Another Phenomenal Canadian Brook Trout Trip

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

Remote road less sections of the Taiga region in Northern Canada + Big Cold Water = Trophy Brook Trout. And lots of them.

The section of Northern Canada Tegg and I recently spent a week fishing Speckled trout was in a remote section of Canada called the Taiga region. The Taiga is where the Canadian Boreal forest meets the Hudson Bay lowlands.

Our trip started out from the Sioux Lookout, Ontario airport where we then flew on a small commercial airline another 400 miles North to a small Native village only accessible by air. We then set out with 3 Native guides another 5 hours by water and portages to reach our final destination. Our final destination was a remote camp used by the village for hunting on one of the best Speckled Trout rivers I have ever fished anywhere in Canada. It’s been my experience the more remote, harder to reach, and less pressured river systems produce the best Speckled Trout fishing in Canada. While systems like the Nipigon, with its paved road access produce trophy Speckled trout, it is to heavily fished to produced anywhere near the numbers of fish we caught on our trip. No paved road easy access fishing where we spent a week fishing.

We experienced six days of the best Trophy Speckled Trout fishing I have ever experienced in Canada. The river we fished was massive my any Midwest standards and we used 16′ Lunds and 20 HP motors to run it and many of its rapids along the way. No need for a $100k boat and fancy electronics on this trip. A plain old 16′ Lund with bench seats without electronics did the job. However, this trip would not be possible without the river knowledge our guides had navigating all the rapids throughout the river system.

Our challenge fishing this river was finding cooler areas of the river where springs and groundwater seepage cooled the river. Generally, these were located in areas below or right above major rapids. Once the trout were found we caught lots and lots of them. These weren’t your typical 5″ to 7″ fish stick brookies caught in MN or WI. These were thick, broad shouldered, and up to 5 pounds. Even our “Mr. Average” was in the 19″ to 20″ range. There were truly trophy fish. Our better days we were catching over 40 of these brutes a day. An amazing experience.

We caught these Speckled Trout on both spinning and fly rod gear. Many of the rapids had to be fished from a boat while the guide held us in the rapids. The rapids were extremely fast with varying current speeds that made fly fishing very difficult. We were able to do some walk and wade fishing where fly fishing could be done. Our best fly pattern was a deer hair mouse. An amazing experience to visually see these brutes violently attack a mouse pattern on a fly rod. In some cases they would need a few tries to actually hook up.

Our best spinning lures were Len Thompson 1/2 oz. spoons and number 15 Panther Martin inline spinners. Treble hooks were replaced with number 1 Gamakatsu Siwash hooks. Fluorocarbon leaders were a must because of the razor sharp rocks.

We also did some Walleye fishing. I’ve been to many fly in Canadian Walleye trips and have seen my share of easy, silly stupid, fish a cast Walleye fishing and this might have been a notch above that. How could it be better than a fish a cast? You didn’t catch two Walleyes a cast but all you had to do was drop you twister below the boat. Most of the time it didn’t even reach the bottom before a Walleye violently attacked it like it was his last meal. If you lost him another one was waiting to attack your twister without making another cast. These Walleyes have never seen another lure in their life. We named this place the “grocery store” where we caught supper every night after catching Speckled Trout all day.

I’ve been on many fishing trips and this might have been my best ever trip period. An experience I will never forget.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3750_ver2.png

2. IMG_E3822.jpg

3. P7170058.jpg

4. P7150054.jpg

5. IMG_3781.jpg

6. GOPR0980.jpg

7. IMG_E3844.jpg

8. P7170075.jpg

kwp
    Eden Prairie

More Pics…

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3789.jpg

2. P7150040.jpg

3. P7190131.jpg

4. IMG_3819.jpg

5. IMG_3810.jpg

6. IMG_3799.jpg

7. IMG_3803.jpg

8. IMG_3806.jpg

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

What a trip! Thanks for sharing! What was the top end brookie?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Thanks for sharing, great write-up and looks absolutely fantastic. toast

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Our biggest Speckle we caught was about 22″. It should be noted we also lost alot of fish including some bigger ones. Holding them in the current was challanging and we think hooks would actually tear out of their soft mouths.

We also had many doubles which at times in the boat was a Gong Show…The guide was trying the hold us in the current while we each had fish on and nobody to net them for us. Then one would inevitably get tangled in the prop. Or we would to net both fish with same net lol

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Our biggest Speckle we caught was about 22″. Even a 22″ fish up there was in the 5 lb class. It should be noted we also lost alot of fish including some bigger ones. Holding them in the current was challanging and we think hooks would actually tear out of their soft mouths.

We also had many doubles which at times in the boat was a Gong Show…The guide was trying the hold us in the current while we each had fish on and nobody to net them for us. Then one would inevitably get tangled in the prop. Or we would to net both fish with same net lol

kwp
    Eden Prairie

A few more pics sent by our guide…

I’m just amazed at the color of these fish in this river system.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3849.jpg

2. IMG_3854.jpg

3. IMG_3845.jpg

4. IMG_3848.jpg

5. IMG_3850.jpg

6. IMG_3851.jpg

7. IMG_3853.jpg

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Awesome! I’ve caught just a few specks on my Canada trips; only enough to get an idea about just how fantastic your trip must have been. Thanks for sharing the story and the pics!!

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I don’t know that I’ve seen walleyes that were more aggressive or had more spunk than on this trip. Multiple occasions saw a walleye dart at a boat side spoon. Nice average size too with fish 18-20” up to mid 20s. It seemed every set of rapids had pockets of walleyes.

The one thing I’ve learned about Canadian Brook Trout fishing is a honey hole only occurs the first time it is fished. After fishing 4 different rivers the same spot never fishes as well the 2nd time thru. This includes the Sutton that has sea run migratory fish. It seems you always want to leave some water in reserve or search for new fish even though you know a spot you’ve fished earlier is holding fish. It seems the best practice is to only fish part of the water and save some of it for a later day. It makes the walleye fishing a great alternative so you can skip days and rest the Trout water.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Incredible! It’s hard to wrap your mind around the fact that those are Brook Trout, when your personal best Minnesota fish was a hair over 14 inches. Wow, what a trip!

S.R.

Iowaboy1

nice !! paint me jealous !!
    the scenery alone would be worth the price of admission.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.