Anchor Recommendations

• arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

I would like to buy an Anchor to have for a backup plan. Mainly for Lake of the Woods to hold a Skeeter WX 2060. Long story short, Spot Lock is great until the batteries run out because the outlet at the dock was bad and didn’t charge the batteries overnight. Which Anchor has worked best for everyone?

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

25 lb Richter Anchor, 4 foot of chain and a 100 foot of rope

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

X2 on the Richter as Jami said

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My uncle used to have a 20 foot fiberglass Skeeter and he used a 2 anchor system to hold in big waves. He had a main anchor and then 10 feet up he attached a smaller one to the anchor line. That held us in 3-4 footers.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Cloth bag with rocks in it

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Richter is nice, but I think the most important things are length of chain, more the better, at least 100 of rope or “line”, bungee attachments really help in waves or wakes, any kind of snubber or gpas like thing. Always check your charger when plugging in just to make sure everything is cooperating.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My uncle used to have a 20 foot fiberglass Skeeter and he used a 2 anchor system to hold in big waves. He had a main anchor and then 10 feet up he attached a smaller one to the anchor line. That held us in 3-4 footers.

Was that intended to act like a heavy chain? Interesting idea.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

I’m guessing it would. I was Sturgeon fishing one spring on the Rainy, and the current was stupid strong. My Water Spike (with 4 feet of chain) wasn’t holding so I looped the anchor line onto a 15 pound Mushroom anchor I had along, maybe 8 or 10 feet up the line. It was tough to deploy and retrieve, but it held us in position like a rock.

S.R.

catmando
    wis

Rubber coated, 30 lb tri fluted river anchor, 100 ft of rope

B-man

I’d go with a fluke/spike style anchor and 3′-6′ of coated or galvanized chain.

They fold flat and compact. They aren’t overly heavy. They work in various bottom types. They’re relatively inexpensive.

The important thing about anchoring is having enough rode.

Plan for a minimum 4:1 scope, up to 6 or even 7:1 in really rough water (30′ deep = 120′-210′ of rode)

For the record I have a medium Richter anchor and haven’t been terribly impressed with it in 16′-18′ boats. Obviously the big one would be better, but they are heavy ) I also have a Box Anchor (slide anchor). It’s okay, but I’ve had it just drag under certain circumstances (soft bottom/big boat).

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190923-154955.png

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

X3 on the richter

mike e

Had to get a Waterspike up at Mille Lacs over 20 years ago when 3 mushrooms tied together on the end of 150 feet of rope would only functioned as a drift sock in 13ft of water. It was well worth the premium I paid at the Holiday station up there. If the holding power isn’t enough of a selling point, the clean release when you pull from the backside might. Hand hauling a 30lb’er up with or without a seaweed monster attached? No way!

The holding power make me want to never use it on river if there is any chance of floating debris.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

I’m guessing it would. I was Sturgeon fishing one spring on the Rainy, and the current was stupid strong. My Water Spike (with 4 feet of chain) wasn’t holding so I looped the anchor line onto a 15 pound Mushroom anchor I had along, maybe 8 or 10 feet up the line. It was tough to deploy and retrieve, but it held us in position like a rock.

S.R.

This is accurate of how it worked to the best of my knowledge.

Deuces

X3 on the richter

X4, just as Jami stated.

I’ll add to get those anchor bungees as well. Not only do they work great at absorbing bugger waves when anchored up, but work as good tie downs to the dock.

I can take waves over my bow with the occasional 3-4′ roller, but not with the bungee.
    yup

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I would like to buy an Anchor to have for a backup plan.

X2 on a Waterspike. Especially for a backup. No need for an extra 30 pounds in the boat.

Richtor is great for a main anchor, no bowmount. A 30 pound navy is a good pic too.

-J.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks for the help everyone.

grizzly
    nebraska

waterspike

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Get about 4 ft of heavy chain, then go to play it again sports a buy some 10 and 5lb barbells. Used this system for years, doesn’t snag often incredibly cheap in the event that you do need to cut and run (not sure how often you river fish but thats always been a serious consideration for me)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.