An Observation on the Size of New Boats

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

As we were driving back from our own Canadian fishing trip we couldn’t help notice the size of all of the boats passing us on that road from Fort Frances to Sioux Lookout…The days of a 16′ boat with a 30 hp tiller outboard are long gone. It seemed every boat that passed us was at least 20′ with a minimum of 200 HP. Many were over 22′ with 350 HP outboards. We even noticed their trailer tires would often cross the center line because they were so much wider than the trucks that were pulling them. I doubt they even knew the possible risk.

Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with these bigger boats. I also understand people are buying for the Mrs. and the family because she wants comfort. I get it. I even recently fished out of a Ranger 621 and they are very comfortable. Heck, I thought it fished 7 of us comfortably with room for more. I’m really wondering how everyone can now afford these boats approaching $100k fully rigged?? Draining the IRA’s/401k’s at retirement or 20 year loans?? How are they fitting in standard 22′ garages?? I can barely fit my 16′ Alaskan in my garage let alone trying to fit one 22′ long.

The ironic thing is we were driving back from probably the best fishing trip I have ever been on in my life (and I have been on many Canadian fishing trips) using a plain ol 16′ Lund with bench seats and a 20 hp outboard. You really can still catch lots and lots of fish out of a 16′ boat with bench seats and no electronics.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

A informal survey of fish caught indicated they didn’t care what size boat caught them. However, my old bones love the bigger boats. The ride, the storage, the feeling of being safe. That said there will always be a place for the 14-16′ class of boats. The ease of handling, cost, storage all make them attractive to some.
    As far as the cost goes it doesn’t matter to me. People can spend whatever they are comfortable with. They can pay cash or take out a 50 year loan. As long as I don’t have to help pay I don’t care what they do.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I know what you mean after just going to Canada earlier this year, but many over 22′ with 350hp motors? This is a bit of an exaggeration, I think Warrior offers a 350hp motor on their 2121, but that boat isn’t even 21′ long. Skeeter/Ranger don’t make 22′ walleye boats I don’t think either. Unless you saw a bunch of grady white style boats or something on their way up, which would be a head scratcher.

Point definitely taken, but we aren’t quite to the point of common 350hp outboards on walleye boats are we? I know they exist, but they aren’t everyday sights, I’m up at LOTW a few times each year and don’t think I’ve seen a 350 on anything up there(quite a few 300s though).

I did kind of wonder about all the people I saw trailering 16-17.5′ older aluminum boats all the way up to Canada, just seems like a pain/risk given most resorts offer nice upgraded boats with similar or better features for a couple hundred bucks/week. Have seen many a boat stranded on the shoulder up there, doesn’t sound like a relaxing Canadian fishing trip. Although if I were on Gull Rock, Lac Seul, Red, etc. up there you bet I’d consider bringing a big boat if I had one :).

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve met a lot of guys in the last couple years that have awesome rigs that can’t afford to to fish.

I just can not bring myself around to spend the money. I love the comfort of a 20+ foot glass boat, but the price tag is way too steep for me

Red Eye

Guys if it makes you feel any better I’d bet that a big portion of the big rigs we see go up and down the road aren’t paid for or even close yet. That or they are being pulled by a rich yuppie that goes “fishing” about 3 times a year but still has to keep up with the Jones’s.

tim hurley

The real luxury is having the time and health to go out-be thankful for whatever floats you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m still fishing a 14 ft alumacraft with a 25 and a 16 ft crestliner with a 35. I get very sketched out on big water. But I personally like my boats for the lakes I hit. Would I like a big ol boat with a 250 , of course but 60 thousand and up. No thank you. I do want to up grade and am in the market for a 17 ft to 18 tiller with a 50 to 90 on it though. I have spent many days in my 16 on lake of the woods and mille lacs. And when those days weather turn and I’m 3 miles or 5 miles out. I’m always asking myself wtf am I doing

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

KWP, maybe there was a big tournament that a bunch of boats were heading up for? Generally, big lakes require big boats. I’m not in the group of owning a 20 foot fiberglass tournament boat mostly because of the cost, maintenance, and space required to store it. I’m the person who measured my garage to make sure the boat I was going to buy would fit BEFORE I bought it. Smaller 16 foot aluminum boats still get the job done in many cases. But given the chance, which one would you choose? That’s what I thought.

Charles

Lol haven’t been crosslake much have you lol.

Anyone everyhere of northwood brand boats? I saw one at a dealer that was 14′ and was fully deck out like center rod locker and two big wells it was a nice looking boat.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Anyone everyhere of northwood brand boats? I saw one at a dealer that was 14′ and was fully deck out like center rod locker and two big wells it was a nice looking boat.

The guy by the Wharf with the (4) 350’s. Geez.

mojogunter

I am surprised everytime one of these posts come out, and how many people have issues with what other people own for a boat, and if or how they are paid for. Worry about yourself and if you are happy and comfortable. Stop with anxiety of what others have and most likely you will end up being happier in your own lives.

CaptainMusky

I know what you mean after just going to Canada earlier this year, but many over 22′ with 350hp motors? This is a bit of an exaggeration, I think Warrior offers a 350hp motor on their 2121, but that boat isn’t even 21′ long. Skeeter/Ranger don’t make 22′

Typical fish story. LOL
    I read that too and I was like what???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I must be older then you KWP.

15 or so years ago my dad made a comment on our way back from Winni.

“You don’t see any 14′ boats with 10 horses going up North anymore. They’re all 90’s or larger on 18ers.”

In another conversation just the other day a friend and I were talking about brands of boats and they said “but a Lund, Crestliner or Alumacraft is a better fishing boat”. I pointed out that because we live in the State they are manufactured in, we’ve seen a lot of those brands here. Go to other parts of the country and they will look at you funny when those brands are mentioned…and lastly as Dutch mentioned earlier, it’s not the boat that catches the fish.

Charles

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charles wrote:</div>

The guy by the Wharf with the (4) 350’s. Geez.

I live up on manhattan beach road and we can him driving by lol. That could be also the race boats or the guy with the twin 350 on the bay boat lol. Don’t forget the pontoon with twin 400hps out there lol.

the better half
    Champlin, MN

I’m really wondering how everyone can now afford these boats approaching $100k fully rigged?? Draining the IRA’s/401k’s at retirement or 20 year loans?? How are they fitting in standard 22′ garages?? I can barely fit my 16′ Alaskan in my garage let alone trying to fit one 22′ long.

I can answer these questions because we purchased a new boat this year, a Skeeter WX1920. Fully rigged it wasn’t anywhere near $100k. We didn’t touch our 401K and we didn’t take a 20 year loan. This boat was something my FH has been wanting for many years. He ran an 70 horse Alumacraft Tournament Pro tiller for almost 15 years. He shopped for a new boat for a long time looking for just the right deal. When he found it he came to me, the CFO, and we looked hard at our finances and determined that we could add a loan payment. No, it doesn’t fit in the garage but his full size truck doesn’t either. The boat stays covered on the side of the house and in a pole barn Nov.-March. This purchase wasn’t made lightly. I will say riding in a boat that has a windshield across Lake Mille Lacs is awesome. I don’t miss the tiller boat in the least! )
    However, I did ask the Warrior salesman at the boat show if the $100k boat caught more fish then cheaper boats. He didn’t have much of an answer.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It all depends on on how you want to use it. A 21’ glass boat with a 350 for fishing inland lakes makes no sense to me. I’m just glad that someone is making a living of making and selling these though.

I fish Lake Superior. I drive out to Isle Royale. Even a 16’ tin boat would make it out there but you genuinely risk your own personal safety in it. I bought a 20’ glass center console for 3 reasons. 1) fishability, 2) price and 3) big water capability. I paid $12k for it 4 years ago and had to spend a bunch more to rig it. In the end it cost a 1/3 or less than what you’re taking about and more importantly it fits my style of fishing very well. It is also a very capable inland lake boat that handles like a 16’ boat on small water.

The point is that there’s a good portion of people that are keeping up with the Jones’s but there’s many others that value their moneys as much as their time away from work. It’s a sign of the times and it’s clear there’s a lot of money out in the economy right now. The next recession will show us another round of boat builders and retailers going out of business I promise.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

No matter the size, one boat will not do it all. A guys needs about 5 boats to cover everything here in Mn. !

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

LOL! Same with motorcycles, cars and bicycles! ^^

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And the FW just added husbands to that list. shock

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I used to have a Northwood boat years back when I had a cabin in N WI. It was the 14′ deep/wide and was big and stable enough for the small lake where I kept it, yet light enough I could just pull the motor off and drag it up on shore and flip it over when I was gone. More and more I am beginning to miss that simplicity and no-nonsense approach to fishing. Especially the older I get.

Fun fact: Northwood was the branded boats for Link Recreational of Minong WI, a division of the same family business of Jack Link’s Jerky. smile

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I am surprised everytime one of these posts come out, and how many people have issues with what other people own for a boat, and if or how they are paid for. Worry about yourself and if you are happy and comfortable. Stop with anxiety of what others have and most likely you will end up being happier in your own lives.

Piston Envy coffee

CBMN
    North Metro

No matter the size, one boat will not do it all. A guys needs about 5 boats to cover everything here in Mn. !

-J.

Right on Jon, I have 4 now and and always on the lookout for something else.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Where is the famous grouse on this one? Kinda right up his alley whistling

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Not my problem. No anxiety here. What people own, do, or give consideration to has zero affect on me. Other than driving up market price on certain items. That becomes my issue with people. Not what they own, but the inflated price they pay

B-man

What is it that the kids say these days??

YOLO?

queenswake
    NULL

It’s a booming economy and people have recovered from the hit of the recession 10 years ago. People are seeing all the bad stuff in the news and as they get older and see end their time on this earth, it all factors into people’s decisions to just go for it and enjoy the moment. Low interest rates add into it as well.

But I do believe that a big reason is looking around you at the boat launch and feeling inferior if your rig is sub-par. On the big lakes, just about every rig now ends up looking the same. Big fiberglass windshield boat.

We are transitioning to becoming like how they are on the east coast or Gulf. Big fiberglass boats that are too big to put into the garage, are more expensive to buy and maintain, and harder to handle.

I think in our area, unless you fish big water the majority of your time, those big boats are overkill. The smaller aluminum boats are so ideal for many reasons on the smaller waters.

mojogunter

You seem to be the exception.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>

Not my problem. No anxiety here. What people own, do, or give consideration to has zero affect on me. Other than driving up market price on certain items. That becomes my issue with people. Not what they own, but the inflated price they pay

kwp
    Eden Prairie

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>

Last Spring at the Boat Show I remember talking to a local boat dealer and asking him about any 16 or 17′ boats on the floor. I got the deer in the head lights look. He then said “boats that small will need to be special ordered with really long lead times because nobody wants those anymore”. Not only are prices being inflated but also boat manufactures are only building them bigger and bigger.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.