Power loading my boat on to the trailer………

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

I am new to trailering a boat, and seem to be having problems getting it on to the trailer.
    I tend to cut the power as the bow touches the trailer and there I set.
    It looks like others I see do it, use the motor to push the boat almost completely up on the trailer.
    I guess I need more practice, being afraid I will damage something on the boat or engine.
    The boat is a 16′ Alumacraft with a 60 HP Evanrude on it.
    Does anyone have any tips on doing this?

Thanks in advance for all ideas.

Iowa Roger

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I converted to a bunk trailer last year. It took me a few trips to cleanly make the adjustment too

I’d say from my experience, the most important piece is backing the trailer in the correct amount.
    It took me a few trips and a few loads to figure out how far to back it. once I got that straight, the loading became much easier.
    Also, I learned to not be timid in driving it all the way up the trailer.

Just takes practice!

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Power loading–if the boat came off the trailer at the launch w/o dinging the LU, it will go on the trailer w/o dinging the LU.

Most people that I see at the launch having issues is because they put their trailer in too deep. These are the guys who have to load their boat 4-5 times to get it to sit square on the trailer. The best thing to do would be to go to a launch when no one is around and practice unloading and loading. Find the ideal depth for your rig to sit in the water that is easiest to load and unload and remember it. For me, I know that once the water covers the fenders I’m good to go.

And if you have a roller trailer– do not unhook your boat untill it is in the water. Otherwise it can roll off the trailer as you back down the ramp. Over the last few years I’ve seen this happen three times and it’s pretty scary.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Slow and easy. I trim my motor way up as I approach the dock. When you leave the dock to load up be sure and get back aways and straight with the trailer before starting your approach. Do not try and come in at a weird angle or with the boat twisted, unless you are loading in strong winds or current, then you have to judges the waves and the current.

Drive on to the trailer nice and slow at just over idle speed, when the boat contacts the rollers you should let it settle in to the rollers or bunks. (You will feel it shift as it settles. Give the boat gas very slowly and power up till you touch your bow roller. Leave the motor in gear, walk up to the front and hook the safety chain and winch. Shut the motor off, tilt the motor up and pull the boat out.

It will become very easy with a little practice, just be slow and gentle when loading. You will gain confidence with experience.

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

You are half way there if you touch the bow into the v of the trailer. Yes you do need to make sure your trailer is at proper depth to allow power loading. After having both roller and bunk trailers I use this rule of thumb.
    Roller trailer: Back in until 2 sets of rollers are wet.
    Bunk trailer: Back in until 1/2 the bunks are wet.

Then just center boat between bunks/rollers as best you can and give a LITTLE throttle, just enough to touch the bunks and stop. Then steer to re-center on trailer and touch throttle again. You should feel the boat being centered on trailer as you slowly drive it on. if not, back off and try again. If so, keep pushing slowly on until you touch the mast roller. If a roller trailer, leave motor in gear and reach down from the bow and secure your strap and safety chain. If a bunk trailer, shut motor off and you should stay on trailer without a strap.

Practice this.
    Go to a small, lightly used ramp and launch and load til you get the method down.
    Please don’t be the guy who hoards a busy ramp for 15 minutes while others wait in line.
    I once watched a guy from my boat start to COVER his boat while still on the ramp as a line of trucks waited to launch. Not sure if he made it out of there alive.

Good luck!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

And remember, every ramp is different…. shallow, flat ramps it helps to back in further, and just the opposite on steep inclines. Pay attention when unloading, and use that to judge the distance of setting the trailer up for loading.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

You have gotten good advice, main thing is it takes practise.

Only thing I can add is if you have a bunk trailer back down until the bunks are completely submerged then pull ahead to the proper loading depth. Boats slide much, much better on wet carpet then dry carpet.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

One other tip. Trim your motor up when loading. The more you trim up, the more it lifts the bow, making it slide up easier. Of course, there is a point you go to far and lose forward momentum, but you will figure that out with time. By trimming up you also direct the water pushed by the prop up off the bottom so you don’t dig a big hole at the end of the ramp.

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

One other tip. Trim your motor up when loading. The more you trim up, the more it lifts the bow, making it slide up easier. Of course, there is a point you go to far and lose forward momentum, but you will figure that out with time. By trimming up you also direct the water pushed by the prop up off the bottom so you don’t dig a big hole at the end of the ramp.

On Castle Rock Lake at the Adams Co Park boat launch I lost a prop last fall off my 58 evinrude. I knew it came off at the launch. I tried to retrive it but the hole from power loading was over 9 feet deep. The surrounding water depth was 4 feet. I got back up there with extension poles and got her out a month later. now that’s a hole from powerloading!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Kind of funny how many experts there are on power loading when I don’t know of any ramps that allow it.

One tip I will give is be prepared to get yelled at for power loading. There is no shortage of boat ramp sheriff wannabees that get off on telling people what to do.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Quote:

Kind of funny how many experts there are on power loading when I don’t know of any ramps that allow it.

One tip I will give is be prepared to get yelled at for power loading. There is no shortage of boat ramp sheriff wannabees that get off on telling people what to do.

Brings up a good reason to get good at it… and get that trailer back just far enough. It should become more of a slight drive up, vs wide open water spraying trick show like some guys pull. It can be amusing. Most ramps I use don’t allow it either…

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have a roller trailer and live in Mich…while “power loading” is illegal…I E loading at more than an idle…
    If my trailer is at the proper depth and motor trimmed I can “idle” to the hook up roller.
    A set of tall guide ons on the back of my trailer were awesome additions for this. I can clearly see if I am centered during this process.
    Just an idea for you.

PS…I’ve never seen any “No Power loading” signs on the Mississippi Pool launches…

wannaplay

Some lakes don’t allow power loading. Personally I try not to power load. It creats a “mound” right behind the ramp…
    Just drive the boat onto the trailer, and winch the rest.
    my .02.

hunter1723

Quote:

Some lakes don’t allow power loading. Personally I try not to power load. It creats a “mound” right behind the ramp…
    Just drive the boat onto the trailer, and winch the rest.
    my .02.

A true power load doesn’t mean that you have to create the mound there behind the boat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.