2013 Competitor Tiller

• impalapower
    Madison, WI

I am considering purchasing a 2013 Competitor 185 tiller. Why is the livewell behind driver’s seat on the starboard side and not on the port side? Seems a bit more difficult to access.

kroger3
    blaine mn

batteries are on the portside to help offset the weight of the driver being you will do alot more running with the livewell empty.

Also easier and chaper for them to wire because it is next to the dash

impalapower
    Madison, WI

It makes sense, but most manufactuerers have it set up the opposite way.

Does anyone have a 2013 Competitor tiller? I know they made a few changes at the front deck for storage. I do like the sqaure footage of the upper rear deck. But I’m also considering a Lund 1825 Pro Guide tiller. I’m not sure on which boat to get, they both have good and bad points.

kroger3
    blaine mn

I bought a 2012 competitor last spring and ran it for 6 months and sent it on its way.

Issues with mine were:
    -both live wells leaked
    -dry storage leaked
    -cooler leaked
    -splash well leaked
    -damaged wiring harness under deck
    -wrong fuel tank installed in boat (held about half of what was advertised)
    -wrong dash installed in boat
    -fuel lines hooked up wrong (was bypassing water seperator)
    -shorlander trailer was .5″ over MN leagal road width (thanks MN trooper for that one)

After lots of phone calls, tons of e-mails, and the boat being back in Alumacrafts shop 3 times I had enough and picked up a Skeeter. I am hoping I just had a defective boat but all my problems were blantant quality issues but I bought a boat to fish out of and not have it in the shop. Choose wisely and do your homework.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

That’s unfortunate when someone has that many problems, I imagine you won’t purchase Alumacraft again. I’m also looking at the Lund Pro Guide and what seems to be a bit better.

Chris H

I think in this case you get what you pay for. The pro guide is worth the extra money IMO….

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

That’s unfortunate when someone has that many problems, I imagine you won’t purchase Alumacraft again. I’m also looking at the Lund Pro Guide and what seems to be a bit better.

Im not trying to bash there product but just state what I had going on and I know im not the only one. Do your homework and you definently get what you pay for. I wouldnt go alumacraft again but I would check out lund but now that im back in a glass boat in done with tin.

FryDog62

Gulp! I had a similar experience with a Ranger Reata a few years ago (21 warranty returns in 3 years then got rid of it). Was thinking of buying something less high maintenance like an Alumacraft! Then I read this. I guess you can get a lemon from any brand at any time.

Am now leaning towards a Tuffy…

Chris H

I had similar experiences with my two Alumacraft’s. I purchased both brand new. Between the two boats I had a wide array of things go wrong with them, from a glove box that kept breaking to a support beam failing… I could sit here all day and tell you the issues I had with both my boats but I will spare the details. It is sad for me to say this because it used to be a awesome hometown Minnesota company until it was sold out to a holding corporation.. Unfortunately when a company is sold out you get a bunch of suits that just care about the bottom line instead of quality. Like I said before it is really a sad thing that has happened here. I in no way shape or form blame the hard working folks in St. Peter, I think the blame should be placed on the clowns in New York. I have buddies that have late 1990s and early 2000s Alumacraft boats that have never had any problems. Both of my boats were bought after the company was sold. I have talked to 12 different people that have had what I would call major issues with there boats in the last year. Personally I will never own another Alumacraft unless some major changes occur from within.

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

I’ve been running a 175 Navigator since 2007, don’t have a bad thing to say about the rig, been rock solid, I use the boat 100 days a year.

Thought I’d never own an Alumacraft until I checked them out back in 2007, I was impressed by how much boat and quality you got for the price.

Chris H

John- My buddy has the same boat in a 2006, never has had an issue! All the boats with issues were 2010 and up. Like I said before the older boats have few issues, its the newer models you should be leery of……………….

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

What year did Alumacraft change hands?

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Dec 30 2011 based on the internet.

Ordered my new rig last month. Not worried.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

@Diesel, can’t wait to see you on the Rock! Don’t forget to post a picture on the Alumacraft Owners Group so that I can look for you on the river.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

No problem, just chomping at the bit to get on the water. I have missed out on some great fishing this year.

D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.