Electrical issue

• Palerider77

My humminbird shuts off whenever the bilge pump or live well come on. Has anyone else had this issue? I would suspect the switch panel on the dash, instead of a voltage drop issue. Does not matter if the engine is on or off.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

My Hummingbird was doing that when the battery was low. The owners manual states a low voltage situation will cause it. When you turn on other devices you will get a momentary voltage drop. But in my case if I hooked up a battery charger or started the engine all was well. Also once the battery was fully charged it worked well with the engine off. I wonder if you fully charge the battery if it will still shut down.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Low Battery –

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Not enough Amps.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

bad charging system on the motor resulting in a low battery? If you’re not getting a charge off the motor, it wouldn’t matter if it was on or not. It has all the characteristics of a battery issue. The only time I’ve had something similar it was the starting battery going bad and not being able to sustain the minimum needed to keep the locator from shutting off.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

First thing I’d do is clean all the connections up. Use a wirebrush or sand paper and clean up those battery connections. The little bit of resistance in a crusty connection will cause a voltage drop. If the connections to the switch or “push on” type connectors, take them off and slide them back on several time to shine them up too.

Good luck!

Rootski

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Also check the water levels in the battery. If water is low it will affect volts. Many times we forget to check twice annualy, its so convient to forget too because they are generally burried deep. . Fill with distilled water.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I have a 185 Tournament Pro CS. I found that in the spring or fall when it is very cold and I am running the live wells all day and both of my Lowrence units, by the end of the day, when I start the big motor, the Lowrence unit on the dash will shut down. If I make a long run and recharge the battery, it will work fine for a while. Think the battery might have a low charge. Have never had the problem in the summer but then I run the big motor more often.

Palerider77

Battery issue stands to reason, it is nice to have a some other heads to bounce ideas off of! Thank you all for the help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.