Algoma Salmon Run

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Any idea when they will be staging at the river mouth? I need to make plans as soon as I can. I’ll set aside a couple weekends in a row soon then pick one as it gets close. Thinking first of Sept? Thanks.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I thought it was the last week of september and first week of October usually.

shockers
    Rochester

I’d be curious, too. Last 2 years I’ve chosen incorrectly.

2 years ago tried mid october. Bad idea.

Last year tried first week of October. Also a bad idea.

So….maybe late September?

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

You can also watch during the summer for sustained west winds. Guys were catching a bunch of them the last few weeks off the piers and close to shore by boat. We caught some trolling from the gap to 50′ by Milwaukee last week. Not a ripple on the water, and used my walleye gear.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I swear years ago it was just after labor day but you guys got me thinking.
    I know Oct is too late. We’ll just have to keep our ears to the ground. I havent done it in many years so I am excited to get back. Just hope my luck holds out. The two times I went we scored and it was a blast. Its a long haul with the boat to get blown off the water or not catch anything. The main reason I havent been is that it taps into my Grouse hunting time/effort.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just checked the time-stamp on some pics from the last time I went. Sept 22.
    The problem is it was 2008!!!!! OMG time flies.
    Here’s my buddy with a good one. I cant tell you how fun it is to hook them on light tackle, reel everything else in then shut the motor off and “experience” them. It magical.

Attachments:
    1. Picture-006.jpg

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

How big is your boat? If it’s big enough you could just fish the big lake and watch the forecast for light winds

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

I can’t speak definitively for Algoma, but here in Milwaukee you can almost guarantee that right around the first of September, you will see the first wave of kings move in. Now, all the fish don’t come in at once, they come in groups. Which is why some days are better than others. If you come when a fresh batch rolls in, fishing is really good. If you come when all the fish have been in for awhile, theyre tougher to catch. Anyways, I would say mid- september is your best bet for numbers of biting fish INSIDE the harbor. If your looking for more silver fish, come earlier. IF you want to know that every four year old that’s coming in, is there, come end of September. You can still catch kings in October, NOvember, and even December! But their numbers dwindle and they don’t fight nearly as hard. Good luck on your trip!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

How big is your boat? If it’s big enough you could just fish the big lake and watch the forecast for light winds

I use my 17 foot Lund and fish in the lake around the river mouth. It can get crowded. Especially when the charters do the same.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Labor day weekend has been the start of the run in Two Rivers the last few years. A good rainfall causing current flow will really bring the fish in. Last year’s run was terrible up and down the wi shore. Cuts in stocking will do that. Strawberry Creek barely got their quota of eggs last year.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Note to self: NEVER EVER fish a salmon run memory again. ALWAYS base trip on current information.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Note to self: NEVER EVER fish a salmon run memory again. ALWAYS base trip on current information.

Hahaha, sorry to laugh, but that’s salmon. Even current info is usually too old.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I know better too. Got cocky and paid the price.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.