Alberto vs. Double Albright vs. FG Knot

• FryDog62

Here’s to hoping Steve Pennaz revives “Knot Wars.” Those segments were not only good for testing the strength of various knots, but good video on how to tie them.

On a recent Lake Commandos show, Steve referenced a line to leader knot called the “Bob Foran knot.” Anyone tried that one?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Here ya go Dog …an FG variation

FryDog62

Very good Tom, looks like a decent knot. I hope Steve gets ahold of the Berkley knot machine to test all these knots. Would be great to incorporate into his new show… or put a pod cast out there.

They all look good, but aren’t equal in strength…

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Ill be seriously testing Sufix Nanobraid second week of April on Pool 4! )

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Ill be seriously testing Sufix Nanobraid second week of April on Pool 4! )

I was looking at my Gliss package and on their website. Gliss is manufactured by a German company called WFT and marketed in the US by Ardent. They claim the line is “100% HMPE FIBRE” whatever that means. I prefer Gliss over Nanofil but that is just my opinion in one season of use. I can tell you Gliss casts a mile with a flick of the wrist and is super thin. By no means is this stuff knot friendly though. I have only tried it on spinning reels.

I haven’t fished with Nanobraid and only looked at the sample strand on the box at Scheel’s the other day. It reminds me of a micro braid and might be more knot friendly than Gliss. Make sure you report back when you test it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Update:

I found this interesting way to tie an FG knot. Just looking at it without trying it, I think it looks easier to tie it this way, but probably takes a little practice, but I bet it would be faster than the conventional way.

Dan Baker

Update:

I found this interesting way to tie an FG knot. Just looking at it without trying it, I think it looks easier to tie it this way, but probably takes a little practice, but I bet it would be faster than the conventional way.

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ncSZyIdr0dQ?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid613003″></iframe></div></div>

That was a great video! I have been using the FG knot for a year now and it is by far the best knot I know. Zero failures so far. This method looks pretty interesting.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

As I probably stated before, I had early failures because I didn’t understand the hitch knots at the end. You’d think you have to hitch the leader, but because of it’s thickness and it’s less pliable, it actually makes the knot fail because it makes impossible to cinch up and lock down. I never have tied that uni like knot toward the end, but will from now on.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I tied 5 Alberto knots in the time he tied that one knot.

I’ve never had one issue with the Alberto knot. It’s one the fastest knots I can tie too.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Your cookie is in the mail. toast

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Save it for when I master that spider web. coffee

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You said you have the Alberto working for you. Cookie rescinded! smash

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.