Adopt a rescue they said…It will be fun they said…

• CaptainMusky

About 3 years ago my wife adopted a rescue from the humane society in town. She sent me pics of two dogs that she was interested in and I said definitely NOT that one because it would definitely be a barker. So she got the other one. He has been a fantastic dog, but came with a terrible set of teeth. The vet said that they should remove a bunch of teeth and he would live a lot longer which is obviously desirable and he had terrible breath. Yesterday he had 23 teeth removed to the tune of $1200! He is such a good dog and I would do it again if I had to because he means the world to my wife.
    About 2 years ago my son adopted a Husky also from a humane society. Less than a year later he has his annual checkup and the vet says he has lymes. We were told it takes over a year for it to show up on a test so he obviously didnt get it here, but back in Arkansas where he came from. My son tried to get some money from the place he got it, but they hung up on him. That was over $1000 for treatment but thankfully he is healthy now.
    These humane societies are a joke. They will charge you for fixing the dog even if they already are! These two dogs are wonderful however and so glad they werent destroyed.

CaptainMusky

Good on you guys for adopting.

Yeah, they have been wonderful companions and I wouldnt change a thing, but sometimes it does come with a very high cost because who knows how they were taken care of previously. It upsets me to think that someone would give these two good boys up they are such good dogs! The vet also said that our dog had never been vaccinated. Sad.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

My dogs have had Limes a few times over the last 20 years. I can spot it within a day or so but it is such a joke now, they require a $100 test to give them $20 of drugs. It doesn’t do anything to them to take the drugs if it isn’t Limes, they are just covering their ass and charging everyone more….such a joke this day we live in now.

Jimmy Jones

but it is such a joke now, they require a $100 test to give them $20 of drugs. It doesn’t do anything to them to take the drugs if it isn’t Limes, they are just covering their ass and charging everyone more…

I think its a course they take in college… “How to play the emotional ticket when dealing with pets and vets”.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

my last lab had limes. We gave her a antibiotic when ever it would flare up. It is said what some vets charge. So many pet suffer for it.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I prefer dealing with vets out in SD who understand that I want to do what is needed and not run every test on the face of the earth trying to find some rare disease so they can really charge me.

Karry Kyllo

These humane societies are a joke.

I disagree 100%. We’ve adopted dogs from Humane Societies in SD, ND and MN and they’ve all been great. I think they perform a much needed service for neglected and homeless pets and for us humans that love animals. Two of the dogs we have now we’ve adopted from Humane Societies. I we get anther dog some day, it’ll be from a Humane Society also.

CaptainMusky

I’m not saying they aren’t doing a good service but charging for fixing when it’s already fixed is ridiculous. Also my son’s dog had lymes when they had him. It was confirmed by our vet yet they ghosted him and he had to pay 1000 for treatment.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Glad the dogs are doing well. Just something to think about for future treatments.

1) Is the dog native to the planet earth?

2) Can the dog vote?

If the answer to either is yes contact Walz as he has a extra 1.7B to spend on votes err, treatments.

jwellsy

If you see an animal you want to adopt, be sure and get them out of there as quickly as possible. The longer they are in there, the more likely they will become sick. We’ve adopted several from the local shelter and would do it again.

I fully support the local humane shelter. I do not support the national organizations that spend over 90% of the donations on salaries and advertising, meanwhile they perform the largest number of euthanasia’s in the country (the cheap option).

Kraig5858

Glad the dogs are doing well. Just something to think about for future treatments.

1) Is the dog native to the planet earth?

2) Can the dog vote?

If the answer to either is yes contact Walz as he has a extra 1.7B to spend on votes err, treatments.

I bet you make taking a dump political.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I just enjoy seeing who takes the bait.

Congratulations. applause applause jester

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Good to hear things are turning out for the better CM.I have got my last three pooches from a shelter and no issues…so far.I will do it again in a heart beat.I wish i could bail more of them out of jail.

Dutch i’m trying to get my couch loafer a SS# and and an ID so she can vote and a job.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

funny dutchy!!!!!! rotflol rotflol rotflol

question, this APSCA advertises alot on TV..they any relation to the humane society????? they sure do put on a good front of bad looking animals!!

its been alot of years since i was in a humane society but tif there looking to relocate animals….dont they charge an aweful lot????

Johnny

Lyme disease. Not lymes. Not that it matters, seems like just about everyone gets it wrong.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

we have 2 pups, an Aussie and a Doberman. our Doberman has had all sorts of issues from lymes where she was paralyzed for weeks to injuring her hip on a slip. she needed a blood transfusion because my wife gave her an asprin to help with her pain. recently she had a tumor removed from her foot, she then proceeded to chew off her stitches after slipping her cone and we are healing again for months. i think we are at around 7K in bills over the years but my dogs are my world.
    my next pooch will likely be a rescue if it works out that way? dogs/kids/wives they are all spendy but we can always make more money right.

pass0047
    Pool4

It does not take more then a year to test positive for Lyme disease. Usually 3-4 weeks if not sooner. Rarely symptoms occur years later but usually after recent exposure. So if your dog has symptoms of Lyme disease it much more likely to be recent exposure.

jwellsy

Another great option to find a pet is a website called petfinder.com. A lot of people will post pets available for adoption there instead of taking them to a shelter where they might get killed. They have pretty much every kind of dog or cat listed there with pictures. If you don’t see what you want, keep going back and check, eventually you’ll probably find what your looking for. It’s not the same thing as saving one from death row. But they do need new forever homes.

10 years ago we got a ragdoll cat from petfinder.com. The owner got a new job, was moving to Chicago and couldn’t take the cat with them. They paid $700 and a plane ticket from California to Illinois for the kitten. They had him for 4 years before having to rehome him. They interviewed several families and chose us for his forever home. They wouldn’t take any money for him. They mainly wanted to know he was going to a good home. I asked them what their favorite charity is and they said K9’s For Vets, so I donated $100 to them in their name. The previous owners were touched by that. We are still blessed to have him in our family.

CaptainMusky

Lyme disease. Not lymes. Not that it matters, seems like just about everyone gets it wrong.

Get over yourself.

Johnny

just trying to help you guys out so you sound like you know what you’re talking about… but for you, the horse is already out of the barn. wink

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Captain,
    Was it a Chihuahua? I picked one up from the HS and she’s needing to have em pulled periodically. They’re known for that.

Is that an OK statement Johnny? Is my grammar, spelling and punctuation correct?

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Lymes ain’t nuthin to mess with.

CaptainMusky

Captain,
    Was it a Chihuahua? I picked one up from the HS and she’s needing to have em pulled periodically. They’re known for that.

Believe it or not its actually some designer intentional breed I had never heard of called a MorkiePom. Its a mix of Malteese, Yorkshire Terrier and Pomeranian.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i really dont understand the idea behind cross breeding dogs to come up with another kind of breed???

how do you ever get to a true bloodline??

CaptainMusky

i really dont understand the idea behind cross breeding dogs to come up with another kind of breed???

Yeah, it may not make sense but most dogs AKC breeds have been cross bred to make their current AKC breed. I have german shorthairs and they were intentionally created by breeding multiple breeds together to create the GSP. It sounds weird, but this was all done hundreds if not thousands of years ago.

Snake ii’s

I like limes with Corona or Tequila.

Seriously – adopted 2 Bengal cats that had horrible digestive issues and were never socialized as they were caged “kitty mill” cats. The only info we got from the adopting agency was they were 2 years old and were in rough shape physically due to their horrible diet and living conditions. The younger one had the runs so bad she hit the litter box every 20 minutes or so until her system was emptied. We took a chance on adopting both as they needed each other – thinking they might be momma and kitten.

One year later – they are both healthy (raw diet) and have improved in their trusting humans. They even ask for pets! They still do not understand what they are capable of physically, but are learning how to jump up and climb.

Adopting them saved their lives. Even though we spend a bit more on the raw food, it is worth every penny.

Attachments:
    1. my-girls-scaled.jpg

Riverrat

2 of my last 3 dogs came from the Humane Society. The last one I went in and they made me verbally promise not to let him get fat. My first adoption was a big rottie that may have a gotten a little fat. He had hip displasia. My current dog is some kind of pitbull boxer thingy (no fancy name) and as hes getting older he may be getting a bit chunky now. Both dogs mutts, but But both have been great dogs.

10klakes

Believe it or not its actually some designer intentional breed I had never heard of called a MorkiePom. Its a mix of Malteese, Yorkshire Terrier and Pomeranian.

Smaller the dog, the worse their teeth are. Their mouths are cesspools. Starting brushing to save your dogs teeth and a little coin come its next dental.

10klakes

My dogs have had Limes a few times over the last 20 years. I can spot it within a day or so but it is such a joke now, they require a $100 test to give them $20 of drugs. It doesn’t do anything to them to take the drugs if it isn’t Limes, they are just covering their ass and charging everyone more….such a joke this day we live in now.

No different than a human doctor, you just don’t see the full cost due to insurance. $100 lyme test is dirt cheap compared to the human ones. ask me how I know… most aren’t even covered by insurance.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.