25 hp Yamaha

• riverruns
    Inactive

I found a 2008 NIB 25 HP 2 stroke Yamaha EFI with electric start. Carries original 2 year warranty yet. Does this sound like a fair price? Can’t seem to find anything doing a Google search. Thanks. Shawn

riverruns
    Inactive

Sorry. Price is $3200 plus tax. Thanks.

Iowaboy1

my thoughts are this,its eight years old and never been run?
    I would have the dealer pull the spark plugs and look for any rust in the cylinder bores,especially if it wasnt stored in a heated building all of this time,if there is any rust in there,chances are that the crankshaft and bearings are rusty also.
    reason being,condensation from temp extremes can rust anything,inside or out of the motor,electrical connections can be corroded also.

I am not trying to scare you off with this,but there is the real chance that this can happen to it.
    if it has been a heated/air conditioned building for the last eight years,chances are its fine,would still haggle with them on the price though.
    low ball them at 2600 and you can come up from there,but thats me.

Don Miller
    Onamia

Unless you have a light bench seat boat you will be glad you got a 2 stroke in this HP size. I had to upgrade to a bigger 4 stroke in the same size boat my old Evinrude 25hp 2 stroke handled well.

riverruns
    Inactive

The motor is still in the original crate-box from the manufacturer. Its never been out of original packaging. It is a long shaft motor and would go on an alumacraft boat. 14′ long. The plate on the boat is wore so I can’t see the HP rating. I would think 25 HP should work? Thanks. Shawn

Iowaboy1

find your hull number,go to alumacrafts website,you should be able to find the hp limit there.
    25 horsepower if the boat is not heavy and loaded down should be fun!!
    my old eighteen foot flat with a merc twenty on it would do 27 mph with gear,me,and the wife in it according to the gps on my lowrance.

have the dealer run the motor for you for fifteen minutes if not longer,no fun having trouble on the water whether its new or eight years old.
    yammies are great motors,you cant go wrong with it.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

If never run, the thing should still be coated in the cosmoline type rust preventer and should be ok. Price seems just a little high but warranty is good. If the place was into bargaining, they wouldn’t have a 2008 motor! Good luck.

Henpecked

Sounds a little high to me. 2008 Yamaha 25’s MSRP’s were in the neighborhood of $3600.00 in 2008. Not necessarily a bad deal but if for any reason you had to resell it you would have to take a pretty good hit moneywise because of the year. I would think the dealer would be willing to negotiate a bit more.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Can’t find any definite pricing, but most searches are coming up with $3000-4000 for couple year old 4 strokes. $3200 for a 8 yr old 2stroke?

25hp on a bench style 14′ will fly, but it will also suck the gas and have more exhaust coming at you when backtrolling. Does your boat need a 25? Really miss my old tin boat with a 15, tank of gas would last forever. My 25 now goes about every other trip have to fill up, full day of fishing better bring an extra tank. I’m sure that Yamaha will be much better on the gas than my older motor, but something to think about.

If I was dropping that much money on a new motor, I’d think really hard about throwing in a lil extra for the benefits of a 4 stroke.

dbright
    Cambridge

I would look into that motor a little harder before choosing buy or pass. I could be wrong but as far as I know they only made carbureted 2 stroke 25’s.

riverruns
    Inactive

Thanks for all the help with this. It’s my sons boat and I’m trying to help him out. We went to Holmen pawn and Marine here in WI. The guy that helped us seemed Genuine? I have no idea about Holmen Marine? They told us they bought out a warehouse of these motors a couple years ago and they don’t make them anymore. I nned to ask them more questions apparently? If anyone has anymore information we would be glad to listen. We want to make sure we don’t get screwed but that is life on any purchase. Thanks for the help. Shawn

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I found a 2008 NIB 25 HP 2 stroke Yamaha EFI with electric start. Carries original 2 year warranty yet. Does this sound like a fair price? Can’t seem to find anything doing a Google search. Thanks. Shawn

Depends on what your needs are. There IS a niche market for a motor like this. So much so, that buyers are willing to pay a premium for a motor like this. If the seller is aware of this niche market, I highly doubt that he will haggle much on price. I have been offered more than new price for a 15hp 2008 Yamaha two stroke. I’m not in the market to sell. My boat won’t handle the weight of a four stoke in the same hp. That is where and why the niche market exits.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

There IS a niche market for a motor like this

I’m certainly not doubting as I have lil knowledge on any motor markets, but I am curious as to these niches you refer to.

I can see smaller motors, but not the midrange, thanks! wave

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d walk away. Too much money, too strange of a backstory, too many possible issues, and too few reasons to bother.

The go-to 25 HP 2 stroke is the last generation Mercury 25 HP 2 strokers from the 2000s. Flawless function, trolls at the stop all day long, and surprisingly good fuel economy. All with relatively low weight. They were even quite common with electric start.

Find one and save yourself almost 2 grand. Run it with good oil and it will most likely outlive you.

Grouse

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>
    There IS a niche market for a motor like this

I’m certainly not doubting as I have lil knowledge on any motor markets, but I am curious as to these niches you refer to.

I can see smaller motors, but not the midrange, thanks! wave

Guys with

displacement style hulls

that want morethe same or more hp but can’t handle any extra weight are the niche market. Certain duck hunting boats are in this category. These boats are not going away and the guys are always asking for GOOD used two strokes in models up to 25hp. Especially guys on the east coast that are replacing motors on these boats.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.