2022 MN WILD/NHL THREAD

• tswoboda

Even $10mx8 years for mackinnon will be called team friendly by the talking heads. But I think he stays a hair under $10m – just a gut feeling. It likely happens in July so we should find out soon.

If you don’t think Makar signed a team friendly deal then I’m not sure what we’re doing here. We all love Kaprizov but unfortunately he’s no Cale Makar. Especially considering what each accomplished before signing the deal.

Matthews signed his deal 3 years ago before ever scoring more than 40 goals in a season.

tswoboda

Let’s see if they win this cup first before we talk any dynasties. I’m still betting on Vasi over Kemps.

X3

But if they win this cup then they are officially a cup & covid era dynasty. At least in my brain they are.

I think having the best regular season in history (before getting swept first round lol) should be accounted for as well.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Even $10mx8 years for mackinnon will be called team friendly by the talking heads. But I think he stays a hair under $10m – just a gut feeling. It likely happens in July so we should find out soon.

If you don’t think Makar signed a team friendly deal then I’m not sure what we’re doing here. We all love Kaprizov but unfortunately he’s no Cale Makar. Especially considering what each accomplished before signing the deal.

Matthews signed his deal 3 years ago before ever scoring more than 40 goals in a season.

I think Makar’s deal was just fine and looks like a bargain if he can stay healthy…he’s otherworldly in terms of a defenseman, it makes Daughty’s deal just laughable..(I think the $12×5 ask is rediculous though and was just a smokescreen)
    Mathews deal was because he’s in Toronto, if he was playing anywhere else, no way he gets the $11.64 aav as a RFA…if he has 2 more 50+ goal seasons, his next deal will set the new high in the NHL, my guess is $13+ aav….Draisiatl’s extension will then will be in the $11-12 aav range…

Then you have McJesus able to sign an extension in 3 years (if he wants to stay in Edmonton) if he stays healthy, he’ll overtake Mathews aav…. then you’ll have Bedard’s bridge deal )

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Let’s see if they win this cup first before we talk any dynasties. I’m still betting on Vasi over Kemps.

X3

But if they win this cup then they are officially a cup & covid era dynasty. At least in my brain they are.

I think having the best regular season in history (before getting swept first round lol) should be accounted for as well.

I don’t nobody will remember that ten years from now. It’s all about Lord Stanley.
    Cale is team friendly but I don’t think he left millions on the table. Throw out the stupid contracts of Drew and Karlsson and he is in the top 6 paid and by less than a mill a year.

tswoboda

I agree the bubble will hopefully be forgotten. And no one remembers who took 2nd but when I look it up in 10 years and see they beat Montreal I’ll be like wtf happened there lol.

Remember the D market was crazy last summer when Makar signed. Jones and Werenski both got more right? That’s crazy to me.

And yeah Toronto ruins the market for big name players but then they get home town fan boys like Giordano and Bunting to fill out the roster at league minimum 🤷‍♂️

JoeMX1825
    MN

And yeah Toronto ruins the market for big name players but then they get home town fan boys like Giordano and Bunting to fill out the roster at league minimum 🤷‍♂️

That’s the advantage the HUGE markets have over everybody else in ALL sports, sure you sign for $750k, but you do a few commercials & print ads, a few signing gigs and tons of free comps all around town and that salary is 2x/3x the actual rate and they are having fun outside of hockey…just look at Spezza the past few years…the dude is a god in Toronto now and I beleive moved into their Management team?

CaptainMusky

Joe dont forget about Kirill’s national commercial for Great Clips! LOL

Ripjiggen

I agree the bubble will hopefully be forgotten. And no one remembers who took 2nd but when I look it up in 10 years and see they beat Montreal I’ll be like wtf happened there lol.

Remember the D market was crazy last summer when Makar signed. Jones and Werenski both got more right? That’s crazy to me.

I agree he should make more than both of those 2, but it is not like they are getting 1-3 mill more. Would you agree then that his 12 mill ask if that was what it was, is also a bit out of line when Fox, McAvoy, Josi also make less than 10.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Joe dont forget about Kirill’s national commercial for Great Clips! LOL

The kid is enfectious, once he can speak understandable english he’ll be everywhere in this market, we’ve been starved for a superstar with personality in hockey, can you imagine Gaborik or Kouvi trying to sell anything on TV??? They were robot personalities….

tswoboda

Josi deal was a few years ago but yeah I would say Fox is closest comp to Makar and I thought his deal was very friendly for the team too – he obviously wanted to be in New York. I’ve never watched enough McAvoy to have a good opinion on him. The media and analytics nerds definitely love the guy.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Josi deal was a few years ago but yeah I would say Fox is closest comp to Makar and I thought his deal was very friendly for the team too – he obviously wanted to be in New York. I’ve never watched enough McAvoy to have a good opinion on him. The media and analytics nerds definitely love the guy.

I’ve watched McAvoy a ton, he is just as good as Fox and is more physical…perhaps Fox is a tad better offensively, but McAvoy is better defensively…

These guys also signed their extensions during flat cap years when the world was in a pandemic and there were alot of unknowns for the league financially…I think they decided to just get what they can get and cash-in on their next longterm deal during their prime years…

CaptainMusky

There are a lot of young superstars in this league right now. A sure testament to the national development programs and the USHL and Colleges too. Not all the best US prospects come through the National Development program, but a lot of them do. There are quite a few US kids high on the draft board this year and one evaluator actually put Cooley as the #1 prospect. Interesting.

stevenoak

Think Mc Avoy won gold with Greenway in the World Juniors about 5 years ago. Been a top defenseman for Boston since his first year. But seems like he’s been dinged up a couple times this season.
    On a Stanley Cup note. My guess was Tampa would get one at home, Colorado in 5. Don’t know that sea level will make enough difference. So far looks like a moped chasing a crotch rocket.
    Adam fox was on that same 2017 USA Juniors team.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Bolts just got their asses whipped. Bye bye Bolts.

Ripjiggen

Careful now. I still think Bolts bounce back.

stevenoak

5300′ above sea level is one place age and experience aren’t an advantage. I thought after game one, Tampa may get one at home. If Colorado plays anywhere near as flawless-focused hockey in Tampa. Colorado fans will have to watch their team get the cup on tv in Tampa after game 4.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

5300′ above sea level is one place age and experience aren’t an advantage. I thought after game one, Tampa may get one at home. If Colorado plays anywhere near as flawless-focused hockey in Tampa. Colorado fans will have to watch their team get the cup on tv in Tampa after game 4.

I’d honestly rather see Tampa win one at home and then Colorado close it out and hoist the trophy on their home ice in game 5. Not a big fan of having the visiting team win with about 40 fans present.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Careful now. I still think Bolts bounce back.

Bounce back to do what?
    Play better?
    Win a game?
    Win the cup?

Colorado has to be thinking G3 is the defining game. Don’t let the Bolts see daylight.

stevenoak

I’d honestly rather see Tampa win one at home and then Colorado close it out and hoist the trophy on their home ice. Not a big fan of having the visiting team win with about 40 fans present.
    [/quote]

I agree. Especially for cities that haven’t won it in most fans lifetime.

JoeMX1825
    MN

So Dandanov was traded to the Canadiens for Shae Weber’s contract… /sigh

Can anyone answer how this move helps Vegas? (besides removing Dandonov’s $5 caphit) because it still adds an additional $2.65 million they will need to fit under the cap on day 1 of the regular season BEFORE they can put his salary under LTIR.

This was the main argument on why Weber’s contract couldn’t help out the Wild the next few years (you need to fit the caphit under the cap on Day 1, before you can stash it on LTIR)

It’s just funny how LTIR contracts are talked about as not an option, yet we still see these trades happen every year (now most of them are done to quickly/easily get teams to the cap floor – ala Buffalo & Arizona) but that’s not the case with Vegas….

If there’s a simple answer, please let me know…

basseyes

Couldn’t watch the game till the 3rd period and hadn’t heard the score, holy schnitzel. And the avs didn’t let up even with a 7-0 lead. No way Tampa does anything in this series unless they purposefully slow the ice down with crappy rink conditions in Florida. Avs looked marginal in game 1 and still won. They are the hungrier dog in the fight and unless they implode Tampa would have to pull off a miracle to make this series competitive. Really thought this was going to be a great series after game one. After last night just hope it goes 5 games. 6 or 7 would be a blast too. MacKinnon hasn’t even done that great yet and they are up 2/0. If his lights turn on it’s over in 4. Colorado is showing speed can kill.

JoeMX1825
    MN

So Dandanov was traded to the Canadiens for Shae Weber’s contract… /sigh

Can anyone answer how this move helps Vegas? (besides removing Dandonov’s $5 caphit) because it still adds an additional $2.65 million they will need to fit under the cap on day 1 of the regular season BEFORE they can put his salary under LTIR.

This was the main argument on why Weber’s contract couldn’t help out the Wild the next few years (you need to fit the caphit under the cap on Day 1, before you can stash it on LTIR)

It’s just funny how LTIR contracts are talked about as not an option, yet we still see these trades happen every year (now most of them are done to quickly/easily get teams to the cap floor – ala Buffalo & Arizona) but that’s not the case with Vegas….

If there’s a simple answer, please let me know…

I just found this article that breaks it down – https://sinbin.vegas/how-shea-webers-salary-will-impact-the-golden-knights/

I’d still like to know how Vegas will get Weber’s $7.65 caphit in the books on day 1 of the regular season before they can put him on LTIR???

tswoboda

I’d still like to know how Vegas will get Weber’s $7.65 caphit in the books on day 1 of the regular season before they can put him on LTIR???

They don’t have to do that.

This trade is the perfect example of LTIR contacts and how they aren’t positive trade assets. They are negative value assets. In this case Dadonov was traded WITH a 2nd round pick at the deadline so we can assume his value is roughly a (negative) 1st or 2nd round pick. Weber’s contract then can be assumed to have that value as well… a negative asset, not a positive. VGK took on the contract so they don’t have to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick. It’s never been more clear. I’ve been beating this drum for years and if you can’t understand it now then you simply don’t want to.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think the thing I was missing/forgetting is that Weber is not coming back in the postseason, so the one benefit I was focusing on for LTIR (bascially getting 2 players on 1 salary in the playoffs) wouldn’t be the case… in reality Vegas lost Dandonov for nothing in return other than removing his $5aav for next season but now are living in a LTIR world for the next 4 years…

tswoboda

IF Vegas can get Weber’s contract stashed on LTIR, won’t they have his $7.65 to spend over the cap?

LOL yes and that $7.65m allowed overage will go straight to Weber’s $7.65m cap hit. They don’t have to fit it under the cap to start the season either.

Beat writers and most reporters are still figuring how LTIR contacts work. You’ll get a lot of conjecture and bad info going off what they say. Even Russo a couple months ago wrote “maybe the Wild should get Shea Weber for his LTIR contract” and then his next article basically “yeah nevermind that was dumb Weber’s contract wouldn’t help them”.

Ripjiggen

Vegas lost Dandonov. Who is a pretty decent player for someone that will never play again and they still have to pay him. So yeah they got nothing in return.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Vegas lost Dandonov. Who is a pretty decent player for someone that will never play again and they still have to pay him. So yeah they got nothing in return.

They got $5 million in capspace back this season and it cost the owner some cash and the GM 4 years of future cap restraints (They likley can’t sign ELC players or 35+ vets with performance bonuses for fear of future cap loss) but cost them no assets…Vegas has no long term plan, they are living season to season penny to penny trying to stretch out their window….

Ripjiggen

Didn’t cost them anything? Sure but most teams trading Dandonov would have received some sort of asset in return. Vegas did not.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Can we agree that this LTIR situation (for a player with zero chance of a comeback) is different than losing a player to injury during the season LTIR? My mistake was trying to blend the two together…

Ripjiggen

100 percent it’s different. Losing a player allows you to spend that salary during the season.
    Adding Webber does not. It just allowed them to basically cut Dandonov and in a sense still pay him but not against the cap.

Viewing 30 posts - 7,141 through 7,170 (of 7,208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.