How often to replace CO2 cartridge on inflatable life jacket?

• Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Do you all replace your CO2 cartridges on your inflatable life jackets? If so, how often? I have a couple with the pull cord. Thanks!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The CO2 cartridge never needs replacing unless it’s been discharged.

For the auto inflatables with the water soluble “pill”, they should be replace every two years.

BUT I always refer people to check the manufacturers recommendations.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

What Brian said

mrpike1973

Due to storing my inflatables in my truck the heat/humidity can get to them and I change the pill every year just in case just my thoughts on it. The reasoning behind this is when I changed them out the first time the pill has a white substance on it and it was bubbled up some meaning moisture was getting to it.

FinickyFish

Agree with tbe above and definitely make sure you look at them before any trip. Had a little rain water get into my storage compartment and set off one of my auto deploys, had to make a last min stop for a recharge kit.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

One other thought.

Since most inflatables are kept in the deflated condition, as a guide, twice a year I always manually inflated them via mouth and left them sit over night. Now I only test them once a year unless I think there might be a problem.

Feels good to know they won’t deflate before getting out of the water or at least to shore.

LabDaddy1

What is the technical term for the “pill”(pregnancy jokes aside grin ) that is the trigger mechanism for that style of inflatable life jacket?

tornadochaser

I re-arm mine annually. I let each of my daughters put one on and pull the cord a few weeks ago.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What is the technical term for the “pill”(pregnancy jokes aside grin ) that is the trigger mechanism of an inflatable life jacket?

LOL! “Yellow Bobbin”

I like pill better.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I re-arm mine annually. I let each of my daughters put one on and pull the cord a few weeks ago.

Although GREAT experience for the kiddos, not needed. Just buy the pill or “yellow bobbins” separately and save some money. No need for a complete rearming kit…unless it’s discharged (by the kids or anyone else.)

LabDaddy1

LOL! “Yellow Bobbin”

I like pill better.

Who doesn’t like the pill? chased

Ok, ok, I digress… Hard to be cheesier than a Green Bay packers fan but I managed.

Thanks for the answer!

Gitchi Gummi

don’t forget to carry an extra CO2 cartridge and pill thing around with you, or otherwise an extra life jacket. You don’t want your day (or potentially camping and or BWCA trip) to be cut short because you all of a sudden don’t have a working life jacket anymore.

LabDaddy1

don’t forget to carry an extra CO2 cartridge and pill thing around with you, or otherwise an extra life jacket. You don’t want your day (or potentially camping and or BWCA trip) to be cut short because you all of a sudden don’t have a working life jacket anymore.

How many here would cut a big trip short because of that? Genuine question because seems like a tough call between finance, legality, and lethality… ???

And we all know how many(or few) actually use PFD’s correctly and often enough as it is.

Baitwaster
    South metro

I need to get a re-arm kit. And then vacuum seal it and put it in boat glove compartment.

Gitchi Gummi

How many here would cut a big trip short because of that? Genuine question because seems like a tough call between finance, legality, and lethality… ???

And we all know how many(or few) actually use PFD’s correctly and often enough as it is.

depends on the trip and the person. We already know a good chunk of the population doesn’t ever wear a life jacket.

I would not trip in the BWCA without a working lifejacket. Not a chance. I’m probably more risk averse than others. I will never understand the logic of people that never wear one, especially with how comfortable some of them are these days. life is too precious.

I need to get a re-arm kit. And then vacuum seal it and put it in boat glove compartment.

this is the way to do it!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I always have a couple of regular style life jackets in the boat on trips out of town.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

October 5, 2023 at 10:23 am#2228219
    Gitchi Gummi wrote:

How many here would cut a big trip short because of that? Genuine question because seems like a tough call

I hear you. Personally I would just wear it inflated. If it was a long trip, just top it off with the mouth inflator.

They aren’t that uncomfortable inflated.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The “pill” comes sealed in a plastic bag when purchased, but vacuum sealing the whole kit can’t hurt.

tight_lines
    SE Minnesota

I’ve re-armed mine and have a replacement CO2 cartridge and bobbin –

Am I missing something but if you replace the bobbin won’t that cause the CO2 cartridge to discharge?

I generally keep my inflatable in the truck or in the closet in my house to help combat any issues with moisture/humidity.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Am I missing something but if you replace the bobbin won’t that cause the CO2 cartridge to discharge?

Unscrew the CO2 then replace the bobbin. You’ll be good.

mrpike1973

Doesn’t the co 2 cartridge get pierced when you screw it in the first time? I thought unscrewing the cartridge would release the gas? I must be missing something here.

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

Doesn’t the co 2 cartridge get pierced when you screw it in the first time? I thought unscrewing the cartridge would release the gas? I must be missing something here.

It does not get pierced when installed. The bobbin/pill disintegrates when exposed to water and allows a firing pin to puncture the CO2 cylinder and fill the inflatable bladder.

mrpike1973

AH Hah thanks for the explanation

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

What is the technical term for the “pill”(pregnancy jokes aside grin ) that is the trigger mechanism for that style of inflatable life jacket?

Halkey-Roberts (makers of the inflator mechanism) and Mustang Survival, both refer to it as simply the “bobbin”.
    The white material within the bobbin is the “pill”.
    So while both terms are understood, one can NOT replace just the pill. One must replace the entire bobbin.

Attachments:
    1. bobbin.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The “pill” comes sealed in a plastic bag when purchased, but vacuum sealing the whole kit can’t hurt.

The Onyx replacement I recently purchased at Scheels was NOT in a sealed plastic bag. It was only in a folded hang up bubble card, certainly not air tight.

Yes, I also vacuum bag my spares, to prevent exposure to humidity.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

On a side note, I take the CO2 cylinder out of mine every winter but leave the bobbin in. If the pill dissolves over winter, I just need to replace the bobbin (sold separately) and not everything.

I sold Scratcher an inflatable a few years ago. Didn’t check the bobbin/pill and screw in the cylinder. Instantly inflated. Luckily we were in Runnings parking lot and he was off to the river shortly.

I haven’t bought a cylinder in years. When I get a 3 pack of bobbins they come sealed in plastic like a little baggie. I forgot about purchasing the whole arming kit.

Either way, doesn’t hurt to seal them!

FryDog62

“For the auto inflatables with the water soluble “pill”, they should be replaced every two years.”

I agree, unless you are a kayaker where you have to wear one 100% of the time, then replace annually. There’s usually no throw ring or back up plan if it doesn’t work properly…

mrpike1973

I just tested my jackets blew them up good to Bobbins are good as well. Thanks for tips on here never thought of blowing them up they went 24 hours still blown up.

Baitwaster
    South metro

I haven’t bought a cylinder in years. When I get a 3 pack of bobbins they come sealed in plastic like a little baggie. I forgot about purchasing the whole arming kit.

Either way, doesn’t hurt to seal them!

Didn’t realize they sold them in a 3 pack. That’ll save some cash!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.