1/2 Crew Cab with 6.5ft box Golden Unicorn

• RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

What is the deal with trying to find this truck in stock anywhere. In the process of starting the look at trucks to replace my current Eco Supercrew 6.5 and it is like I am searching for the Golden Unicorn. I still do not understand how you can haul stuff in that small box that most dealers have. Would have to use a trailer to haul ice shacks and it would be tuff to fit 3 dog kennels in one. I do not get it.

Rant over…..

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I used Car Gurus to find my 1/2 ton crew with the 157″ wheel base. Flew out to OHIO to buy it and drove home.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Most guys want a glorified mini van with a 4ft box this day and age. We are hunting for a 8ft box right now for a camper hauler. It’s not a easy find.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Because people buy crew cabs to haul people primarily and stuff occasionally. It’s also hard enough to park one with a 5’8″ or 6′ box, how god awful is one with the 6’5″ box frown

Yes I’m pointing fingers that most pickups aren’t purchased for work and I’ll start with myself wave 2014 Silverado.

think of it this way, how many Suburban’s are sold to drive kids to soccer when a minivan is better suited?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Your best bet is to search online. And or ask the dealer. They do tons of swapping and can find that gem.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Because people buy crew cabs to haul people primarily and stuff occasionally. It’s also hard enough to park one with a 5’8″ or 6′ box, how god awful is one with the 6’5″ box frown

I apologize for this. But really hard to park? We are the same size as a mini van. Am I’m saying WE. I have a short box.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have one! wave

I’ve also destroyed 2 sets of running boards due to the length of the vehicle and bottoming out…My wife now gets a running start with no boards and have larger tires and a small lift…If you do a decent amount of off-roading, the long wheelbase can really hit some stuff…

I had a tough time finding mine since I had a few requirements, engine option being one of them. Ended up finding a few and I wasn’t picky on color, which saved the day…red is growing on me.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

think of it this way, how many Suburban’s are sold to drive kids to soccer when a minivan is better suited?

We have lots of those in Maple Grove. I always chuckle when I am behind a Suburban that doesn’t even have a receiver hitch on it.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I got mine at Toycen Ford in Chippewa Falls. They always seem to have at least a few in stock.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I feel your pain. I cant stand these dumb moon 6′ beds and less. I own two and hate them both. Will never own another unless its given to me. Even then, instant for sale sign and getting a real truck.

So if you think your searching for the golden unicorn, try the finding a 2010 to 2013 GMC 2500HD SLE or SLT Crew / Longbed manual 4×4 from a state that doesn’t use salt, no calafornia BS, and no ties to Texas jester Been looking for a couple years, flew out to see a couple and left them there to rot.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So if you think your searching for the golden unicorn, try the finding a 2010 to 2013 GMC 2500HD SLE or SLT Crew / Longbed manual 4×4.

Nice choice in trucks. We would still have our duramax. 4 door 8 ft bed. But instead of nickle and diming us it was after 1000s at a time and it got real old real fast.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I bought a new one 2 weeks ago. 2019 Ram 1500 Classic. Crew Cab 6.5′ box.

As far as searching online, Car Gurus was the only one I found where you could do specific enough searches to get specified down to the crew cab and long box. Belzer’s in Lakeville had about 8 or so in stock, and as far as Ram’s go, it looked like they were one of the few dealers in the entire country to have them.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I love my 04 suburban. 4×8 sheets enclosed. The things a shed on wheels! She’s got 243,000 miles so time isn’t on its side.

I’ll be in the market for a pickup when we make the big move up north two years from April. I’ll be in the same boat. Just won’t be able to pull it! rotflol

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Yeah it’s always difficult. It really makes it hard to find a good deal on one too because there are so few of them out there. Pretty slim pickings and they seem to be fairly desirable.

Musky Ed

Live near Wausau Wi, and Ford dealer here usually has quite a few 6 1/2 ft boxes in stock. Also, all come with lifetime power train warranty from that dealership, but would need to be serviced by them, after the normal factory warranty. Vehicle can be bought anywhere now days for best price, all dealers will service them.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

rch 5, 2019 at 2:03 pm#1840519
    patk wrote:
    Because people buy crew cabs to haul people primarily and stuff occasionally. It’s also hard enough to park one with a 5’8″ or 6′ box, how god awful is one with the 6’5″ box

I apologize for this. But really hard to park? We are the same size as a mini van. Am I’m saying WE. I have a short box.

No apology needed. Minvan may be the same length but it’s about turning radius. My prior was a 2003 Tahoe and was definitely easier in town. In the cities the many parking lots don’t seem very truck friendly let alone the airport ramps. When I’m in Brainerd I don’t complain.

My comment was anything that makes turning radius wider would turn off more potential buyers a la making the unicorn even more rare.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You guys are scaring me. I finally broke down and ordered a crew cab with short bed instead of the usual extended cab with 6.5 because I seem to have more need for passenger seating that back storage AND it needed to fit in my garage. I hope I am not disappointed. I dont haul large stuff often but when necessary I figure I can use my trailer.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I finally broke down and ordered a crew cab with short bed instead of the usual extended cab with 6.5 because I seem to have more need for passenger seating that back storage AND it needed to fit in my garage. I hope I am not disappointed. I dont haul large stuff often but when necessary I figure I can use my trailer.

I love my F150 CC 6.5’…..my problem is I am searching for a new house and can’t find a house with a garage deep enough to fit it. I’m waiting for that unicorn with a 23’+ deep garage. Priorities!

Car Gurus is where I looked primary for my truck 2 years ago. Filtered on wheel base.

My last 3 vehicles were purchased out of state. Flew to FL for one, took the bus to WI for one and Chicago for another. I also flew out to NH for one years ago. I dont’ mind driving to buy what I want for the right price. My 6.5′ I purchased at Schoepp Motors in WI.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>patk wrote:</div>

We have lots of those in Maple Grove. I always chuckle when I am behind a Suburban that doesn’t even have a receiver hitch on it.

They probably chuckle when they go past a minivan stuck in the snow on their way to soccer practice.

B-man

God I love my new truck waytogo

‘I gotta eight foot bed that never has to be made…..’

Trucks with 5′ boxes should come from the factory with the glove box loaded up with Tampons…… )

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190304_112534.jpg

greenheadguru
    Grand Rapids, MN

I picked up an ’18 in December from Miller chev across from Cabela’s. Loving it so far but it was a pain to find. I was planning on buying used but like you said it’s like looking for a unicorn and the new price wasn’t much different than a used one with 30k on it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I love my F150 CC 6.5’…..my problem is I am searching for a new house and can’t find a house with a garage deep enough to fit it. I’m waiting for that unicorn with a 23’+ deep garage. Priorities!

311. We ran in to that with our garage as well my 4 door long box didnt fit. So we cut the wall out and added a bump out that I could back in to. It wasnt ideal on the old garage but it worked for what I needed

Attachments:
    1. 15518223233851911572156816269285.jpg

huskerdu

Try finding a garage that fits a f 350 crew with a 8’ box! My current home does but I haven’t seen a new construction with deep garage.

CBMN
    North Metro

In my experience they actually are not that hard to find. A few things to consider, larger volume dealers tend to carry them, as when I was looking the dealer that I bought from had several half ton crew cabs with the 6.5′ box. Not nearly as many as the CC with the shorter box but they had at least a half dozen. The other option was what I chose and that was going up to a 3/4 or 1 ton and the CC with 6.5 or 8′ box are much more common. I am lucky enough to not drive my truck daily and have the garage room so for me I wanted to make the step up to the 1 ton single rear wheel GM truck with crew cab and 6.5′ box at very little cost over a comparable 1/2 ton.

I should add that I was only looking for a brand new truck, guessing used vehicles is a different story.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

God I love my new truck waytogo

‘I gotta eight foot bed that never has to be made…..’

Trucks with 5′ boxes should come from the factory with the glove box loaded up with Tampons…… )

And an electric auger

Oranda

I had a crew cabw/8ft GMC 2500HD. Loved that truck. But lots of $ to just drive me around once the kids grew up.

I had to look for 4 months to find an 2013 RAM ext cab 6.6ft box in the right trim package. Seems the more bells and whistles the shorter the box on the truck.

Belzer had the truck sitting on the lot for 8 months. This was in 2015.

It took my son 4 months to find his 2013 F150 full crew cab with 6.5′ box. He found it out in Morris, MN. Farmer truck trade in.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I had a crew cabw/8ft GMC 2500HD. Loved that truck. But lots of $ to just drive me around once the kids grew up.

I had to look for 4 months to find an 2013 RAM ext cab 6.6ft box in the right trim package. Seems the more bells and whistles the shorter the box on the truck.

Belzer had the truck sitting on the lot for 8 months. This was in 2015.

It took my son 4 months to find his 2013 F150 full crew cab with 6.5′ box. He found it out in Morris, MN. Farmer truck trade in.

Hey, what you doing over here? Lol. Welcome!

dbright
    Cambridge

I know when I was looking for a 1/2 ton with a 6.5′ box two years ago there was not another available. I ended up buying a 2500 ram with a 8′ box and can’t see buying another short box again.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

They probably chuckle when they go past a minivan stuck in the snow on their way to soccer practice.
    [/quote]

What time of year in MN do you guys play soccer? Kids must freeze in soccer shorts that time of year. Who plows the field to remove the snow? doah

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

311. We ran in to that with our garage as well my 4 door long box didnt fit. So we cut the wall out and added a bump out that I could back in to. It wasnt ideal on the old garage but it worked for what I needed

Certainly an option I may have to explore. Did you do floating slab for that, or have to do frost footings? Either way I have family that could help me easily tackle a project like this if I find the right garage setup.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.