Western Wisconsin man found guilty in Labrador ‘puppy mill’ case

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

One can only hope that part of the sentence will be an order to never own dogs again. smash

-J.

=========================================================================================

By Michael Brun | Forum News Service
    PUBLISHED: October 26, 2017 at 9:25 am | UPDATED: October 26, 2017 at 9:27 am

ELLSWORTH — A Pierce County jury found Stuart Earl West guilty on 62 misdemeanor charges related to treatment of dogs at his Alma Bottom Pointing Labs facility in 2016. The rural Elmwood man was found not guilty on 63 charges.
    The verdict was reached around 8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 25. The panel of 12 jurors deliberated more than six hours.

West was found guilty on six counts of improper animal shelter space, 48 counts of failure to provide proper food and drink to animals and eight counts of animal mistreatment. Verdicts of not guilty were delivered on 15 counts of improper animal shelter space and 48 counts of improper indoor animal shelter ventilation.

Pierce County deputies executed a search warrant April 22, 2016, at West’s property after a prospective dog buyer called in a complaint following a visit to the facility. Authorities seized 48 yellow Labradors.

Before Circuit Court Judge Joseph Boles could poll jurors Wednesday, attorneys for the case discovered wording on a verdict form was incorrect. The form was worded for the improper food and drink count instead of the animal mistreatment count. The jury was brought back to the deliberation room and provided corrected verdict forms.

The jurors were polled and the verdicts on all 125 counts confirmed around 9 p.m.

Pierce County District Attorney Sean Froelich requested that West’s bond be revoked because of an allegation of bail jumping in a separate pending case, though the judge denied the request on the grounds that he has never revoked bond on a misdemeanor verdict.

Sentencing in the case is set for Nov. 30.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I recall when Stu was a contributing member here on IDO. From ready the initial stories, I have to believe that some mental health issues were at play. I hope that he can get some help.

One can only hope that part of the sentence will be an order to never own dogs again.

Amen to that!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

“Verdicts of not guilty were delivered on 15 counts of improper animal shelter space and 48 counts of improper indoor animal shelter ventilation.”

Call me a bleeding heart. I feel sorry for him.
    On the other hand, I don’t think he knows how to raise dogs any other way and hope too that he’s not allowed dogs in his possession.

He’s around 70 years old and owes tens of thousands of dollars to the State and Federal Government. (You and I) Now he’ll be going on welfare for the rest of his life costing us more.

He’s been looking around for a new place to start raising dogs again, which was reported in the Pierce County paper a few weeks ago. I’m not sure if that court date has been sent.

The only winner here are the dogs.

What’s amazing to me as there were complaints prior to this one but nothing was done. He told me once that his wife left him because she wouldn’t live in a house with 30 dogs.

Yes, I’m surprised he’s not being evaluated.

Maybe this forum was the wrong forum to post my comments in. sad

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Additional text:
    3:20Defendant Stuart Earl West in court with attorney Keith Allen Belzer. Sean Edward Froelich appeared for the State of Wisconsin. Court received character letters on behalf of Mr West. Investigator Collin Gilles swn, ex by Atty Froelich. Exh#1-picture of inside of a freezer; off/rec. Dawn Slater swn, ex by Atty Froelich. Ms Slater writes a letter she wrote. Collin Benell swn, ex by Atty Froelich. Atty Froelich gives closing argument. Froelich: based on 973.05; 1st 57 convictions; 32 days jail consecutive to each other; with good time. May not own, possess, or train any animal or type of species for a period specified by the court not to exceed 5 years. The time spent in custody shall be excluded. Remaining 5 convictions; S/W 3 years probation; concurrent. conditons: may not own, posses or train any animal or species for that period. Gary Knudson gives a statement. Atty Belzer gives argument; probation with no jail. Stuart West addresses the court. Court goes over the sentencing considerations and factors. Court: orders 40 days jail on Ct#1-6 concurrent with each other, orders 40 days jail on Ct# 70-117 concurrent with each other. Work release is allowed. Court: imposes 7 months jail on Ct#118 stays for 3 years probation: conditions: not to possess, own or train any animal or animals. court costs and DNA sample. Court orders: S/W 3 years probation on Ct#119-125; conditions same as Ct#118. Court orders based on 951.18(4c) cannot possess,o own or train any animal for a period of 5 years. 4 days jail credit. All jail time is concurrent. Jail time is stayed until Thursday January 25, 2018 at 10am. Release: February 19, 2018. Appeal rights are given to the defendant.

Mr West’s conviction is currently under appeal.
    Five years? Well, I guess at his age that might be enough.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.