Youth hunt.

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I’m very happy I get to jump in on this post. My son is 26 so long past the youth hunt days but I’m extremely lucky to have 3 young men at the farm this weekend looking for their first deer. Myself in my mid 50s listening to these 3 in their early teens talking about plans for tomorrow for their 1st hunt was a real treat. My plan for tomorrow is 2hrs hunting in the morning. I don’t think any of these boys have even walked in the woods in the dark before. Pancakes, bacon and listening after that. Some hiking after that and a afternoon bonfire back at the farm. Then the evening hunt. Sure hope somebody shoots something but going to do my best to make it a great anyways. Good luck to everyone hunting.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I woke up to my son throwing up this morning. Poor kid said he wants to still go out. I told him to sleep in and we will re analyze how he feels for the evening sit. Good lucks kids. I’m going archery hunting

CaptainMusky

Bummer bearcat! Lots of crap going around.

Coletrain27

Boy missed a buck right after sunrise this morning and a group of doe came in half hour latter. The only shot he could get was on this one and turned out to be a button Buck. Not a trophy to most but boy is he happy and I’m proud of him! Was awesome to see it all happen and help him. toast applause

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9726-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Good job. That one will eat great.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Way to go little Coletrain! waytogo

I got out this morning with 2 of my boys. We just set up on a ridge with a large valley below us. Saw 2 does and 3 fans but no good clear shots. We started awake until 10 and at that point the constant falling off leaves was hypnotizing us to sleep. Ran home and I went and shingled for 2 hours. Got ready to head back to Dad’s and neither of the boys were feeling the best. The rest of the family did have a stiff cold. So I’m out by my lonesome for the evening.

Had the welcoming committee in the yard when I got back. doah

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20231021_170121230-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_20231021_155303298_HDR-scaled.jpg

Coletrain27

Thanks guys, the tenderloins weren’t huge but they melted in your mouth after fried in some butter

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

No deer for my group today but they all had fun. Did some sitting. Did some hiking. They chased each other around the farm for awhile. Filled up on snacks, candy and soda. Everybody took naps in the deer stand. Think they enjoyed their 1st trip to deer camp even without getting a deer.

Stanley

Was windy today but about 45min before dark it died down and the deer started moving. My 14yr old got a doe and my 13yr old missed a 8pt. To werms comment about youth peeing in a bottle, my youngest had to go in the stand so he grabbed an empty bottle and as he’s going I hear “oh crap” almost overfilled it jester

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3391-scaled.jpeg

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Congrates to the kids that got one! I lost my hunting partner yesterday to a friends bday so we will be heading back out this afternoon.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Congrates to the kids that got one! I lost my hunting partner yesterday to a friends bday so we will be heading back out this afternoon.

My son is feeling better and begging to go out. I’m not sure if we will go sit down the road or make him rest. I’ll make a descion come 3 o clock.

Congrats to all the young ones

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Mason got it done this evening. He couldn’t resist the Perfect opportunity

Attachments:
    1. 20231022_183052-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Mason got it done this evening. He couldn’t resist the Perfect opportunity

Oct 22, both Father & Son have bucks tagged already. That’s pretty impressive. applause

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s a very bittersweet moment. I love the hunt. And now it’s over. We might take another doe or 2 but we will see. Now it’s bird hunting time. Potentially Wisconsin buck if he shows up again.

pass0047
    Pool4

Son did not shot a deer. Holding out for on bigger then his basket 6. But what’s greater then spending 7 sits with your 10 year old talking about what’s on his mind.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Son did not shot a deer. Holding out for on bigger then his basket 6. But what’s greater then spending 7 sits with your 10 year old talking about what’s on his mind.

I love that, my kid just kept farting and blaming the squirrels

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Congrates to your son BC!. It’s always the damn squirrels. Daughter and I saw a couple last night but it was right at last shooting and she wasn’t comfortable taking a shot with how dark it was. Proud of her for not taking a shot she wasn’t comfortable or confident in.

Stanley

It’s always nice to see the kids get deer. Congrats to all the youth that had success over the youth hunt.

CaptainMusky

WTG kiddos! The smiles say it all!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Awesome to see all of the success!

27eyeguy

Congrats to all that participated in the youth hunt, love seeing the kids and the smiles. Successful or not, it’s a great opportunity to spend time together.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It really is a good feeling when your kid picks up one of your hobbies and then you both enjoy it together. Fishing, hunting, or anything. Even better when you teach them a hobby like hunting can supply food for the entire family. It’s fun to sit down at the table and tell the kid you appreciate them putting food on your plate.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So last weekends youth hunt was a learning experience at the farm for not only the boys but myself. This hunt was a last minute deal with neighbors and their kids, grandkids. I did quickly set up a area in the garage for their gear, guns and didnot allow any guns in the main house. That was not clearly enough. Learned this right away as the boys in the morning got out to the garage ahead of us and started trying to get guns ready to go. New rules for next year are going to be, no kids handling guns without their adult in direct supervision. No kids loading or un loading guns without direct supervision. The youngest boys might not even be allowed to load and unload guns. Going to spend a little more time practicing with operation of the guns including some shooting practice. We had one young boy with a gun that his hands where not even big enough to operate properly. We will be looking at who can and can not carry a gun while walking in the woods. Going to work a little better on mapping and planning where to hunt on the property to. This includes more about hunting plans and the importance of sticking to them.

I’ve hunted before with my son. That was one on one and very easy to keep track of. Three boys, and a first hunt for all of them was much more than just hunting with my son. I probably need a good ass chewing for some of what went on last weekend but we are going to get this turned around in a hurry for next year. The boys did have fun and I’m looking forward to hunting with them again next year.

Might have to add a refresher gun safety course for me as it’s been a lot of years since I’ve hunted in a group.

JEREMY
    BP

Hope nobody shot someone or the house or what not.

CaptainMusky

Mike W, yeah that is not an ideal situation having kids unsupervised handling guns something can go very wrong very quick. Easy mistake to make, but kids are curious and I am sure they were very excited to hunt. Glad nothing bad happened.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I was a bit surprised at how some simple knowledge of gun safety was not fully understood by the boys. And that all goes back on us adults. They have been instructed on gun safety but thinking it was a lack of hands on experience practicing gun safety and seeing others doing the same. Simple example was one of the older boys unloading a gun. This is why they will not be doing this unsupervised again. He was outside pointing the barrel towards the field but also at my propane tank and there was still a hunter walking in from the field. And in the end lost count of the 4 bullets he had in the gun. He was thinking about safety but just not fully there yet.

Just thought I would post about this incase anyone else gets in a similar situation with young hunters.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There was 2 reported hunting accidents from the youth hunt last week in MN.

Both instances were the result of the youth shooting the adult. Neither was fatal, but one is very serious and I believe the adult is still in medical care.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dang. Those are not good accidents. I have preached and taught gun saftey to my son since he was very young and I trust him very much.
    I have buddies who think there kids are ready and I won’t hunt any where near them.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.