Youth hunt.

• JEREMY
    BP

Can I bring his deer gun and a gun for turkey in the blind at the same if he has a license for both?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Can I bring his deer gun and a gun for turkey in the blind at the same if he has a license for both?

I would say yes, but turkeys see full color. Blaze orange is still required. Can’t imagine a turkey walking close enough with someone wearing blaze orange.

A blind (on public land) also has to have a designated piece of blaze orange on the top of it, per a new rule in the regs.

JEREMY
    BP

They walked within 5 feet of the blind this morning and then ate on the field 30 feet away with both of them in fill blaze orange. Its private land.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I would say you’re good then. Make it a deer and turkey double!

I never really hear of anyone turkey hunting in the fall either. Seems like everyone is chasing deer, waterfowl, or upland since there is a dedicated spring turkey season.

JEREMY
    BP

Ive tried to get him a spring turkey for 2 years with no luck. If they wanna cooperate now I figure what the heck. The license is free.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ive tried to get him a spring turkey for 2 years with no luck. If they wanna cooperate now I figure what the heck. The license is free.

Can’t say I blame you. Spring turkey hunting success is less than 25% here though, so success 1 out of every 4 years is pretty average.

Stanley

Only one small buck this morning which got a pass. Went back about 10:30 then shortly after noon a coyote went pass the blind. The plan was my son would shoot the deer and I got the coyotes. Maybe he will come by later.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3386.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Oh wow that yote came close!

haleysgold
    SE MN

Only one small buck this morning which got a pass. Went back about 10:30 then shortly after noon a coyote went pass the blind. The plan was my son would shoot the deer and I got the coyotes. Maybe he will come by later.

I’d have smoked him a heartbeat.
    The deer hardly even notice a gun shot and been back to normal a minute later.

Hope you get another whack at him!

Stanley

Dang cell cams lol. We were at camp when he came through. Back in the blind now until dark.

M F

my daughter isn’t quite strong enough to hold up a 22, so I’ll wait a year until she can hold a shotgun up herself.

CaptainMusky

MF you could always get a shooting stick that might help her.

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    Gave my youngest the option to hunt or go to Vegas. We are in Vegas.

Excalibur! Hope you guys are having a good time.

That’s where we are staying. Only down $80 so far.
    DT

MNdrifter

Youngest boy (12yo) had opportunity tonight, missed a doe at 75yards. Came out early. Like 4:30. Surprised me coming out that early.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Very slow here east of Hinckley. Nothing moving. Youngest son and I saw 1 fork horn yesterday at 5.00. No other deer, Not even does.

Acorns are everywhere. I have to think the deer are so full there’s no reason for them to even get out of bed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Very slow here east of Hinckley. Nothing moving. Youngest son and I saw 1 fork horn yesterday at 5.00. No other deer, Not even does.

Acorns are everywhere. I have to think the deer are so full there’s no reason for them to even get out of bed.

So many acorns dropping that the field edges have been left completely alone

JEREMY
    BP

The oak tree by my stand at my dads a month ago the acorns were being eaten as fast as they fell. Now the ground is covered with them.

CaptainMusky

Everyone must be sleeping in the stand or just too busy enjoying the nice weather to share some pics!

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Everyone must be sleeping in the stand or just too busy enjoying the nice weather to share some pics!

I got one. A pic that is. And it’s from a roof, not a stand. tongue
    Couldn’t play hookie from work yet.

Good luck kids! And Dad’s. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20231020_105713015-scaled.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

At least you have a nice view from the roof.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Sure do! If a buck swims the lake I’ll take another pic! jester

Stanley

Saw 2 last night but too far. One was a nice buck. 2 doe’s came by this morning, tried to get a shot at the second but it was foggy and she was heading into the swamp. Then an another coyote came out but disappeared into a bush after a pheasant before I could pull the trigger.

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

Super quiet for us so far…have the right wind tonight for our favorite stand…

Attachments:
    1. 17D8E184-7044-4FB0-A9AE-FC350194A47F-scaled.jpeg

hillhiker
    SE MN

No kids to take out so I’m sitting on what’s left of my clover, with the bow. Good luck to all the youth hunters!

Attachments:
    1. 20231020_155022-scaled.jpg

Coletrain27

Been dead for us so far. Looks like a lot of wind tomorrow which won’t help. If my son does not fill his tag during the youth hunt can he still use it during the 3A season?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Been dead for us so far. Looks like a lot of wind tomorrow which won’t help. If my son does not fill his tag during the youth hunt can he still use it during the 3A season?

It is my understanding that he can.

Coletrain27

Awesome thanks, that would be fun for him to bring a gun with during the season I hunt

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes that’s how that works. He will be good all regular season if he doesn’t fill it this weekend. As for the wind I prefer a windy day to get out. Usually see lots of movement unless it’s wildly windy. Tomorrow will be a great day to ground hunt with my son. The wind will help keep is big ass feet quiet lol.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Well the 5&8 year old made it about 2 hours but apparently the youth of today don’t know how and won’t pee in a bottle, so we cut it 5 minutes short. We had a good cover wind until the last 30-45 minutes, which didn’t help but nothing was moving. Didn’t see any on the drive back either which was odd.

Attachments:
    1. 0BBF4567-62F0-41EE-9C94-EF6EFA955FE1-scaled.jpeg

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Saw 6 with the daughter this evening, all just after last shooting. Putting windows on ground blind backup and three standing about 20 yards away. Does became suspicious and started blowing at us before heading off into the woods. Might have to change strategy now that two different groups of deer pegged is in that ground blind location.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.