Youth hunt.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Who’s all taking a young one out this weekend ? I’ll have my kid out but I won’t have time until Friday evening. We will hunt local Friday, and possibly savage land on Saturday. I know my son is pretty dang excited. Good luck to others going out

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yup heading up this weekend. My brother is taking his 12 year old out to try and get his first deer, and I’ll be taking my 6 year old son and 8 year old nephew out for some blind time while I xbow hunt. Hopefully starting a long tradition for the boys, and my almost 3 year old is already upset he won’t be coming with.

CaptainMusky

Werm is that legal to hunt with a bow while others have a rifle? For some reason I thought it wasnt. Good luck to all!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Werm is that legal to hunt with a bow while others have a rifle? For some reason I thought it wasnt. Good luck to all!

The 2 boys won’t have a rifle. They are to young. The others won’t be in his blind with him just the 2 young bucks

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There is a 4 day antlerless firearm season in multiple zones for everyone too that coincides with the youth hunt, so it is my understanding that the adult can utilize this gun season while the youth is also hunting. Obviously just would have to be sitting together in the same location per the youth hunt regs if the youth is between 10-13 years old.

Youth ages 10 to 17 may participate. Youth ages 10 to 13 must be accompanied by an
    adult parent/guardian/mentor 18 or older. The adult does not need to be licensed.
    • The accompanying adult cannot hunt in most areas and party hunting is not allowed
    (youth must tag their own deer). Adults may hunt in areas where the early antlerless
    season is open with the correct license. More about the early antlerless season is on
    page 88.
    • Participation does not affect eligibility for the regular deer season; however, deer
    harvested during the youth season count toward the youth’s annual statewide
    bag limit.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

The 2 boys won’t have a rifle. They are to young. The others won’t be in his blind with him just the 2 young bucks

^^^This, and my understanding is that we just need to have orange on, is the only difference for me to take some kids out bowhunting with me I believe.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Taking my Grandson out for his 2nd year.
    He got a shot at a running fork horn last year. I’m hoping he gets his 1st deer this year.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Awesome seeing guys bringing new hunters. Im running solo with the bow still. Lucky one of the units i hunt only does youth but not early antlerless. Which sadly means i doubt i will see many guys bring kids out since they wont be able to hunt.

JEREMY
    BP

I wanted to but am stuck at work thursday and friday. The woman is taking my stepson. Not sure whats gonna happen if they get one. I will take him on Saturday if he hasnt got one and shoot some early season does maybe.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wanted to but am stuck at work thursday and friday. The woman is taking my stepson. Not sure whats gonna happen if they get one. I will take him on Saturday if he hasnt got one and shoot some early season does maybe.

We are skipping Thursday and Friday as well. I forgot the kid has his buddies b day party on Friday and then hunt the weekend. He has had lots of success the last 2 years. 3 deer last year and 2 the year prior. One being a big 10 point.
    Hoping to keep it going for him

Stanley

Leaving tonight with my 3 boys (16,14,13) for the youth hunt. Oldest has an away football game but it’s only about 15 miles from where we hunt so we will get the ice castle set up go watch the game and head back for the hunt. Should be a good time but the weather looks a little warm.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m also leaving tonight with my 2 boys, 12 and 15. It is the 12 YO’s first hunt. Should be a good time, we have lots of bucks on the cameras this year, a really nice group of them showed up in September and there is quite a bit of sparing going on.

The kids should have a great time, hopefully, they see some bucks, but it’s also good skill-building.

Good luck everybody.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Good luck to all the young kids going out. As well as early antlerless guys.

brandyman
    West central MN

The boy will be will be out, he is now 14 so can go by himself. We hunt our farmland close to our house. It will be interesting with the corn coming off. We have not seen the numbers this year like last year.
    Like last year he is “just after antlers”. (For now)

CaptainMusky

Good luck to all the young kids going out. As well as early antlerless guys.

Absolutely! Good luck and be safe! I wont be able to go at all, but Im hoping my 17 year old can get out. I have to flipping work! Little turd doesnt even have a license yet. Ugh.

MNdrifter

Got Thursday/Friday off. Both boys will be hunting. I’ll take younger one at home. Oldest is going with my dad at the farm. Guess I might as well cary the slug gun also since I am in an early antlerless zone. Youngest and me often take turns napping on these beautiful October afternoons. Weather looks pretty good.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3047-scaled.jpeg

CaptainMusky

Got Thursday/Friday off. Both boys will be hunting. I’ll take younger one at home. Oldest is going with my dad at the farm. Guess I might as well cary the slug gun also since I am in an early antlerless zone. Youngest and me often take turns napping on these beautiful October afternoons. Weather looks pretty good.

Ha, I never nap in the stand, but I have pics of each of my 3 boys conked out over the years!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I never nap in the stand

I used to get very sleepy in the stand when I was younger. I was so paranoid about falling out that I would actually go to the ground, curl up, and nap there instead.

CaptainMusky

I used to get very sleepy in the stand when I was younger. I was so paranoid about falling out that I would actually go to the ground, curl up, and nap there instead.

Yeah, that would not be ideal for sure!

ThunderLund78

My 15 yr old will be in his own stand and my 12 yr old will be in the blind with me about 300 yds away. We’ve had the camera out for a while and have been seeing mostly does and a couple small bucks, but this guy walked by yesterday morning and my 12 yr old can’t contain himself. That’s what it’s all about. I remember being that excited as a kid. (That’s our blind in the background)

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20231017_164059.jpg

MNdrifter

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    I never nap in the stand

This stand is a large 2 man tripod stand facing west. Comfortable swivel seats. Sitting in it squinting into the late afternoon sun, especially if you’re all warm and bundled up. It is incredibly difficult not to take a quick snooze. The boy nudges me when my snoring gets too loud.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This stand is a large 2 man tripod stand facing west. Comfortable swivel seats. Sitting in it squinting into the late afternoon sun, especially if you’re all warm and bundled up. It is incredibly difficult not to take a quick snooze. The boy nudges me when my snoring gets too loud.

That’s funny

I never sat with anyone in the stand. They never had youth hunts when I was a kid. I went on opener when I was 12 and they put me in a stand made of rotting wood, told me to wait in the freezing cold temps for deer that never came, for hours on end. It’s amazing that I even kept going after those first few years to be honest.

Coletrain27

Taking my son out tomorrow morning for his first year of youth hunting. I took off work all the way through the season and he’s off school for MEA weekend. He’s so pumped, he’s been talking about this all summer

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Good luck to everyone,especially the younger hunters.

MX1825

Good luck to everyone. Hope someone gets the “turdy pointer” whistling

deertracker

Gave my youngest the option to hunt or go to Vegas. We are in Vegas. rotflol
    DT

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2338-scaled.jpeg

pass0047
    Pool4

Took Thursday and Friday off as well to do my 10 year old first mn youth hunt. Looking forward to some quality time hunting with son. Good luck to you all. Be safe

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Going with oldest daughter but won’t get out until Friday evening. Excited for her first hunt. I most likely will have a gun on hand as well, in a early anterless area but she gets first crack.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

No dead deer yet ? My cameras have been active all morning

Dan
    Southeast MN

Gave my youngest the option to hunt or go to Vegas. We are in Vegas.

Excalibur! Hope you guys are having a good time.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.