You Like Big Worms?

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m going to start messing around with big worms now that it’s the dead of summer. I’m talking 8-10 inchers. Big Boys. jester I don’t see too many guys throwing them around here so I figure I’ll give it a shot. Hopefully get some big girls excited along the way………….

Anybody use 8-10 inchers?

Deuces

I stick with my 5-6″ worms, doesn’t get the trophies but catches the easy ones.

Always liked worms, never had much luck w em except snakes. Seem to get more on big creature baits if I’m in a plastic mood

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Ive been experimenting more with them recently too.
    Did pretty well on a 10″ power worm in blue fleck yesterday morning. Fishing deep weedlines.
    Ive had good luck on the max scent king tail in the past as well.
    I just recently got some 10″ bull worms and 12″ power worms im looking forward to trying too.
    I’ve been mostly rigging Texas style but also just got some magnum shaky heads to try out too.
    What kind of worms and terminal tackle are you planning on using?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve got some Strike King Bull Worms that are 10 inch, and some 8 inch finesse worms, also some 8 and 10 inch power worms. I was watching a Tactical Bassin video that had a bunch of big molds to try. I plan to Trig them and try shaky heads. Now and late fall are the time to try it so I figured why not.

The reason I got on this was because the last couple years I’ve started upsizing topwaters and cranks, and it doesn’t seem to affect the number of bites but does impact the size. However, the the smaller 1-2 lb fish still have no problem hitting those bigger baits and aren’t shy doing so. I would think with plastics it would be even easier for them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve used the bigger power worms with the ribbon tail before in the heat of summer. I don’t remember if they’re 8 or 10 inches. Panfish love to bite the tail of them.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve used the bigger power worms with the ribbon tail before in the heat of summer. I don’t remember if they’re 8 or 10 inches. Panfish love to bite the tail of them.

7.5 or 10 inch. They have both.

Rick Janssen

I started using the 10″ Powerbait worms about 3 years ago. I have great success with them once the water warms up (mid summer on). I fish the weightless and just let them fall slowly. I think the extra size attracts more attention. Yes, the little bass love the bite the tail off (also little gils) but that is really not a big problem as that happens with the smaller worms also.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Been using the 10 in power worms on a neko rig. Seems to work. The dinks even like em.

tim hurley

In the spring lots of crappie guys get bass and the later it gets in the summer the more you hear musky fisherman getting really big greenies, so good reminder that size preferences are not static.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Might have to give glide baits a try this year too. Spro has one that isn’t too expensive that I’ve seen a lot of guys locally catching nice fish on.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I like throwing the big 10 inch and even 12 inch black worms on a weighted 6/0 hook in the summer heat. It doesn’t get the most bites but it usually makes up for the bigger bites.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Got out early on the 4th to a small lake close to home.
    The 10″ power worm got a few good bites including a 4.45lb bass and a 22″ walleye. I tried the 10″ bull worm for a while but had no bites on that, man that’s a big worm though.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Everybody likes BigWerm! Except Smokey, who never has my money…(movie reference for you old timers rotflol ) Big Worms at 8-10″ is a unicorn tho, doesn’t exist. rotflol

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

An 8″ worm is not a big worm. 10″ is average for summer. Not really covering any new ground for people that bass fish. But this is IDO so not many here that take bass fishing seriously.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I have really taken a shine to the Z-Man TurboFattyZ. A swimming worm that actually works pretty good in MN. I struggled to get bit with Zoom Speed Worms.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

An 8″ worm is not a big worm. 10″ is average for summer. Not really covering any new ground for people that bass fish. But this is IDO so not many here that take bass fishing seriously.

Thanks for your wonderful insight. moon

Michael Best

I don’t fish them very often.
    However my dad uses them a lot on Pelican by Ashby. It’s about the only lake I have ever really seen him use them on.
    He has even used a 12” worm on occasion down there.
    He can be throwing a large worm and me throwing a creature bait the results are the same. Same amount of fish and same size of fish.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If you think the average bass angler around here in the summer is throwing a 10 inch worm all the time you live on a different planet. Also this post wasn’t trying to “cover new ground”. I simply said I don’t use them often and I was planning on getting into it. Your snarky comments aren’t needed here. They don’t contribute anything.

Not to mention when you hear pros and other “experts talking about worms, 8 and 10 inch worms are spoken about as “Big Worms”.

So yeah, welcome to reality.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Just to be clear on the semantics, an 8″ worm is not a big worm. The two most well known models are the zoom ole’ monster at 10.5 and the 10″ power worm. I traveled the country for years working elite and flw tournaments and have fished from coast to coast, but yeah, what do I know. As far as guys throwing them around here, you’re right, not as common as in the southeast (TVA lakes, coosa river, FL, etc.).

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Just to be clear on the semantics, an 8″ worm is not a big worm. The two most well known models are the zoom ole’ monster at 10.5 and the 10″ power worm. I traveled the country for years working elite and flw tournaments and have fished from coast to coast, but yeah, what do I know. As far as guys throwing them around here, you’re right, not as common as in the southeast (TVA lakes, coosa river, FL, etc.).

I see, well it’s good to know we have an expert in the field weighing in their opinion. I could have really made a fool of myself….. coffee

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Obviously there bigger worms out there. Hell there are 15 inch worms people use. But saying a ten inch worm is average is flat out not correct. Not saying you don’t know what you’re talking about but you were the one that came in here and acted like you were better than everyone. So don’t be surprised that you got a comment back calling you out. No hard feelings.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.