Ice out crappies!!!

• gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

A few of the smaller lakes in the south metro are open now. I put the boat in last night around 3. Water temp was anywhere from 39-47 degrees depending on where you where. I found crappies in the shallows feeding heavily before the stroms rolled in. I was fishing a dark bottomed shallow bay with some old weed growth in it. The fish were definately using the weeds. I couldn’t buy a fish if there were no weeds. I knew of anothe rlittle bay that is very similar to the one I was in and thought I would head up there. Got out into the main lake and headed towards what I thought was open water only to find that over half the lake is still socked by ice The wind had pushed the whole sheet of ice against the north shore so I tried to get around it by follwing the shoreline. This didn’t get me very far either. So I headed back to the one spot I knew had fish. I eneded the day at 6:30 with 28 crappies making it to the boat, no size to them at all. 8″ might have been the biggest. As soon as the temp dropped and the wind picked up there wasn’t a fish to be had.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.