Wine

• Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Looking for a wine to bring up to deer camp.
    I don’t know much about wine and would appreciate some help.
    Deer camp is not high class but the guys do enjoy having a bottle with their supper. Meals are always something along the lines of pot roast or beef stroganoff. I’m not sure if this is obvious but a dark red is always brought out.
    If anyone has any suggestions on a type and brand please share.

Thank you.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Reds go well with beef and pork. Chicken or fish call for whites or a rose/blush. Ask for a wine that’s middle of the road for sweetness as a dinner wine. Sweeter wines work for after dinner or desert.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

There are some really good wines that come in boxes. Seriously. and they really need to breath. Open the spout and tip the box backwards to let air in.

But this is my favorite and would pair well with your deer camp menu.
    https://www.murphygoodewinery.com/blog/liars-dice

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

cabernet or a malbec would go good with those dishes. Don’t need to spend a ton. One of the best ones I’ve had lately was a $5-6 bottle of red cabernet from total wine. May have been called Santiago station.

I’d grab a couple malbecs and a couple cabs see which ones you like the best.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Slip,
    I tried hard to find a Malbec that I could enjoy, never found one yet. Any suggestions?

Sharon
    SE Metro

I prefer sweet reds and I think they go with all kinds of food. My favorites are Bartenura Sweet Red and Roscato Rosso Dolce Sweet Red.

I stock up on both of these for the colder months, as I seem to drink wine in winter and beer/hard ciders in summer. Whiskey is all all year drink of course. )

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

Mookie,
    A lot of good suggestions have been made so far.
    Not sure how much wine you are looking to bring up. Cub has decent sale prices and if you buy 6 bottles they’ll knock 10% off as long as it’s not the wine of the month. I’ve bought some nice bottles for under $10 there.
    If you are looking for a box wine my preference would be Bota Box as their Cabernet is good. I’ve taken that on a few fishing trips including Canada as it is easier to transport and is the equivalent of 4 bottles.
    Also, Eelpoutguy – a good Malbec I like is “le grand noir”.

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Don’t drink much wine but the wife certainly does. Brands around the $10 range we usually get are:
    J lohr
    Josh Cellars
    Bogle
    14 hands

All of these have a good cab.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well, there’s a question that a guy didn’t get a lot back in the old days. But I digress…

Almost any cab is going to go well. It’s hard to miss with cab unless your deer camp is in the infamous “No Dry Wine” zone.

If you want to get a little more adventurous:

– Zinfandel. NOT, I hasten to add, “White Zinfandel” which does not exist in nature and is an abomination before God.

– Syrah or Shiraz. Yes, it’s the same grape grown in different places.

The wine trend now is blends, but part of his trend is that many bottlings aren’t clear as to WHAT exactly makes up the blend. So it’s a bit of wine roulette unless you’ve tried that bottle before.

Grouse

404 ERROR
    MN

If you get it in a bag, you can play slap the bag…or Tour De Franzia…Where the winner is also the loser! jester

Wish I could help you more. I apologize for my college days re-surfacing…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Cabernet, pinot noir and Merlot would all be good types based on your description. I like to drink those once is a while and really enjoy them but not enough to keep track.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mookie Blaylock wrote:</div>

Well, there’s a question that a guy didn’t get a lot back in the old days. But I digress…

Almost any cab is going to go well. It’s hard to miss with cab unless your deer camp is in the infamous “No Dry Wine” zone.

If you want to get a little more adventurous:

Zinfandel. NOT, I hasten to add, “White Zinfandel” which does not exist in nature and is an abomination before God.

– Syrah or Shiraz. Yes, it’s the same grape grown in different places.

The wine trend now is blends, but part of his trend is that many bottlings aren’t clear as to WHAT exactly makes up the blend. So it’s a bit of wine roulette unless you’ve tried that bottle before.

Grouse

California Zin is red and suberb.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I prefer sweet reds and I think they go with all kinds of food.

Absolutely love it with Spam!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

The only wine we ever drank in Deer Camp was Windsor or maybe Knob Creek.

S.R.

fishingchallenged

Pinot Noir and Syrah are both good options that aren’t as heavy as the cabs and malbecs.

Sharon
    SE Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sharon M wrote:</div>
    I prefer sweet reds and I think they go with all kinds of food.

Absolutely love it with Spam!

Agreed! Here is a spam dish Billy made up a while back. We call it Spamaroni Joe. It’s Spam, macaroni & cheese, and sloppy joe goop. It’s delicious and full of warm calories on a chilly winter night!

Attachments:
    1. Spamaroni-Joe.jpg

robby
    Quad Cities

Pinot Grigio is my favorite with red meat, especialky if the meat is cooked rare to medium rare. (As it should be). Not that I really have an opinion there. Lol. Lots of good makers. Support your locals if possible. They are trying to live the American Dream. Something we do hear much about anymore. I know guys… blahhh blahhhh blahhhhh.

tim hurley

19 Crimes-Is an Australian red-very balanced, full and inexpensive. Brand is named after the 19 crimes that a Brit could be sent to an Australian jail for. When you open a bottle the bottom of the cork has a number with one of the crimes-good conversation

Tom Anastasi

All good suggestions here.
    For pot roast, you need something hearty, and bold.
    California Zinfandel would work great.

Stroganoff is a little tougher to pair due to the cream, but I’d go with Merlot.

McManis Vineyards has a Zin and a Merlot for like 12 bucks. Best value around.

I agree with Steve Root. Can’t go wrong with whiskey yay

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Wow, more power to you guys. toast

But if I brought wine on any man trip id be laughed out of the cabin or tent.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I am a little confused by a few replies… Is wine not to be drank by men or is wine not to be drank at deer camp?
    I guess I’ve never seen anything unusual with either. Either way, I bring what people like as I am a guest.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m a Whisky (Canadian an upper crust snob), Cognac (Hennessy VSOP prefered), these are straight no chaser.
    My daily is Canadian Mist and Sprite Zero.

Wines, we prefer
    Menage a Trois Silk, a dark blended red,
    Chateau Ste. Michelle Horse Heaven Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2016

Denny O
    Central IOWA

There are many wines that will end up giving us a bitter aftertaste and/or heartburn. These do not.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My wife likes apothic, I prefer my whiskey and beer after dinner.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

But I will pound down a bottle of that fake champagne wine stuff. Apple juice. Now were talking

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Gascon Malbec….pretty inexpensive and not a real heavy red. Would go good with venison.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Franzia- “chillable red”

Seriously, don’t knock it till you try it. Keep in fridge or throw in a few ice cubes. $10 a box

catmando
    wis

A nicely chilled Chianti is good with any red wine meal !

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

I agree with Grouse, Zins are great. We probably drink more Old Vine Zins then we do any other wine. Just is a great taste and we can get some good ones at Costco (Kirkland Signature) for under $10.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

For the malbecs I think you either like them or don’t. I generally get anything from child or Argentina in the $8-15 range.
    Tried a new Cabernet last weekend ravage was really good and right around $12

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.