What’s up With Ranger?

• Bartman

I own a 7 year old Ranger Angler with Suzuki motors. Started looking around for info on maybe trading up for a new model. Browsed their website… so is Mercury the only engine available ?? Also am seeing sites where Caymas boats are being advertised. Never heard of this brand before. Are they new to the boat scene?

MX1825

Been seeing Caymas in WI for about 4 years now.
    I think you can order a Ranger with different rigging but it will cost you a lot of $$$$. Has been that way since Johnny & Bass Pro bought Ranger.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Definitely some changes to Ranger when Bass Pro bought them. Mine is before that acquisition and I had the option for a Yamaha or Merc. I haven’t had to deal with any problems with my boat so I can’t comment on their customer service nowadays.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Ranger only hangs Mercury motors at the factory because Yamaha wouldn’t give them enough of a price break. Johnny is all about the margins. The only way to buy a ranger with a Japanese motor is to go through a full line dealer, order the boat with no motor, and have the dealer hang and rig the motor on the hull. This will cost a little more than ordering a package boat.

Ripjiggen

Same reason Lunds come with an Merc and Alumacraft and skeeter come with Yamahas.

Well maybe not the exact same reason but Ranger is not the only company to come prerigged with certain brand motors.

blackbay
    mn

Caymas was started by Earl Benz originally from Triton Boats. He’s been in the boat business for a long long time.

mnfisherman18

You will have a hard time finding any Ranger, Lund, or Crestliner without a Merc hanging off the back these days. Its too bad because I would prefer a Suzuki or Yamaha personally.

Ripjiggen

Its too bad because I would prefer a Suzuki or Yamaha personally.

That’s too bad cuz you are missing out on a great motor boat combo. J/K jester

MX1825

Earl Benz was National Champion boat racer for Mercury early in his career. He moved to Hydra Sports then founded Stratos boats. Sold Stratos to OMC and stayed with the company and started Javelin. Left OMC and founded Triton boats. Sold Triton and founded Caymas in 2018.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Iowaboy will hang a Suzuki for you.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Same reason Lunds come with an Merc and Alumacraft and skeeter come with Yamahas.

Lunds and Crestliner come with Mercs because they are all owned by Brunswick!

Ripjiggen

^^^yup
    Hence I followed up with maybe not the exact same reason.

Bartman

Back in 2016 when I bought my Ranger they hung a Suzuki 175 and a 9.9 Suzuki kicker. The dealer I went thru told me this was the last Zuki Ranger would provide….ever

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Johnny Morris is Mercury’s largest single customer therefore takes advantage of great pricing. I ordered my Ranger in 2015 with a factory installed Evinrude G2, no problems. In 2017 it all changed when he bought Ranger.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Iowaboy will hang a Suzuki for you.

He sure will. You might split a seam talking to him though.

CaptainMusky

That’s too bad cuz you are missing out on a great motor boat combo. J/K

You couldnt have said Mercury is a great motor in comparison to suzuki or yamaha with a straight face could you?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

You couldnt have said Mercury is a great motor in comparison to suzuki or yamaha with a straight face could you?
    [/quote]

With all the corrosion issues and lower unit problem Suzuki is having, when you watch videos of places like Hualover inlet I bet it`s 95% Mercury’s there must be a reason the saltwater guys run them.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    That’s too bad cuz you are missing out on a great motor boat combo. J/K

Sure could. Zero complaints from my last two.

CaptainMusky

Sure could. Zero complaints from my last two.

I was just giving you a hard time. I know those new 4 strokes are dang good with the exception of the verados that my buddies have. Man do they go through fuel.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Other than my most recent issues with the compressor my Optimax has treated me well. My old boat had a 87 classic 50 on it and that motor was awesome. Do I think they are a solid as a Yamaha or Suzuki probably not but not to far off.

MX1825

This is just my opinion. I think for reliability and fewest problems Yamaha has to be #1. After that I think it’s a toss up. You hear of more Merc issues but the shear number of Merury OB’s sold you are going to see more issues. Again just my 2 cents.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.