Want to see something cool?

• eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’ve only seen one owl in my entire life so thought I would share this here. Any owl experts know what they are?

Now I know why the crows have been ridiculously annoying last few weeks!

Attachments:
    1. 20220507_202511-scaled.jpg

2. 20220507_202013-scaled.jpg

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Cool
    Crows screaming like that has become a big sign that they have an owl pinned in a tree around me. We get screech owls here in SE WI at nights…. But it is the big owls the crows mess with during the day.

Buffalo Fishhead

It is difficult to tell the size of the owls, but they may be juvenile great horned owls. It is that time of the year that they will be venturing away from the nest.

Buffalo Fishhead

Mike J
    Wright County

Barred owls are the only owls in Minnesota with dark/black eyes.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

There were actually 4 in the same tree and they were about the size of an adult red tailed hawk when they took flight. just guessing but they appear to be young ones?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Hard to tell, but I would guess Barred Owl also

Sharon
    SE Metro

Jeeze louise they are kinda creepy looking! Owls are a fascinating creature for sure. The first time I heard one I nearly fell over in laughter – they sound fake! Almost like a crazy person imitating what an owl should sound like! Very cool to see and thanks for sharing!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That is a really cool picture. We have a owl in the tree across the street the last nights. So cool to see. The pictures you have are awesome

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Had some baby barred owls hanging out in our yard last summer. If you’ve never heard a baby barred owl screech and then suddenly hear that sound echoing from different areas in your yard late at night, it sends chills down your spine. 😆

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

We used to have an Eurasion eagle owl that we kept outside. It would periodically call in wild owls and they would talk back and forth. Very cool to see an owl sitting in a tree at night with a full moon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Years ago I was cleaning out wood duck houses, a screech owl (I think it was)took up residence. I opened the side and quickly found out why they are called screech owls. Scared the begeezers out of me. Ever since then I take a stick and knock before opening.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Pretty sure they’re barred owls. They’re common in our neighborhood.

They’re quite vocal, known for their distinctive calls. Look up “barred owl calls” on YouTube. I was sitting on our porch last night listening to several of them hooting back and forth. And yes, the juvenile screeching is unpleasant. grin

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Barred owl calls “Who Who Cooks, Who Cooks for You”.

Deuces

Owls are great. Don’t see many but if I do it’s typically always on the river.

Usually right at end of dusk you’ll see em fly across the river.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Always been fascinated by owls. It is kinda creepy sitting by a fire at the cabin and one starts hootin!! Kinda cool though. My little sheltie gets put inside then!!

ThunderLund78

That’s an incredible sight. Maybe it’s just an illusion with some leaves in the background, but the one on the far left in the wide-angle shot looks like a great horned owl. But I think it would be strange to see two different species intermingling.

I had a barred owl land on a branch just over my right shoulder while sitting in my tree stand on opening morning a few years ago. It was not yet shooting light, just enough light to silhouette him. He stayed there for 10 minutes, he had to know I was there – if they can see a mouse from 100 yds away, no doubt he could tell there was a big, strange creature right below him. Then he let out a Hoot, and I jumped – You have no idea how loud that is when you’re that close. Then he flew off in silence like a ghost. One of the coolest encounters I’ve ever had in the woods.

Buffalo Fishhead

That’s an incredible sight. Maybe it’s just an illusion with some leaves in the background, but the one on the far left in the wide-angle shot looks like a great horned owl. But I think it would be strange to see two different species intermingling.

Thunder,
    I believe you are correct, the one on the left is an adult Great horned owl and the two on the right are juvenile GHO.

Buffalo Fishhead

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I had a barred owl land on a branch just over my right shoulder while sitting in my tree stand on opening morning a few years ago. It was not yet shooting light, just enough light to silhouette him. He stayed there for 10 minutes, he had to know I was there – if they can see a mouse from 100 yds away, no doubt he could tell there was a big, strange creature right below him. Then he let out a Hoot, and I jumped – You have no idea how loud that is when you’re that close. Then he flew off in silence like a ghost. One of the coolest encounters I’ve ever had in the woods.

I had that same thing happen deer hunting, although I’m not sure what type of owl it was, unless fn huge is an owl type. Landed almost silently right above me in my stand in the dark. And the second time I crapped my pants that morning was when it took off silently until I heard and felt the wind off it’s wings from it’s first flap. rotflol

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Here’s a better one that I snapped off before they left. I told the wife they might be eyeing up our chickens which basically free range in the yard?

I just find owls to be one of the coolest birds around. Perhaps it’s because they only come out at low light and you never get a good look at one.

Attachments:
    1. 20220507_202400-scaled.jpg

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.