Pool 16

• evileye
    Milan Il

Just wanted to give a Quick update on pool 16, My son Todd and I fished for about 7 hours today with very little results for our effort . Although we tried several methods from dragging live bait to pitching Ring worms and Paddle tails to the shoreline current breaks, we were not able to put togather anything that would consistantly produce fish.

I’ll be on pools 16 and 18 next week and will try to have better news. The water temp is around 55 and with 11.54 feet of water and a .4 rise again today, along with the rain that is falling now, I don’t look for conditions to improve much for a week or so. Anyone who is thinking of using the ramps at sunset park ,The walkways are still underwater but can be used and The pelicans and wind have taken care of most of the dead shad.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Thanks for the update. I can’t believe it’s 55deg there already. That means they’ve spawned so it should pick up soon as they recover.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Thanks for the report Tony! At least you got out before the conditions get even worse!

I am afraid this spring will be a very poor spawn, as the water temps here on 14 went from 33 to 50 degrees in 8 days, and the fish did not have time to acclimate. The fish I found last week had not spawned, but the surface temp was near 50 degrees. I’m not sure what will happen.

The river is forecast to keep rising at least the next 5 days, and approach flood stage.

I guess time will tell if we’ll have a decent spawn. I have seen in the past when the water temp rises very fast, many fish do not spawn. The females still have eggs in late spring, and I believe their bodies re-absorb them. I hope that is not the case this year!

rrouff
    Aledo IL

Thanks for the report Tony,

With the river so high I opted for a farm pond sunday afternoon. I am very interested in hearing how you do on 18.

Todd I’ll give you a call tue on my way north.

Jeff

3way
    eastern iowa.

i seen a 10# eye after it was caught thursday in pool 14. she looked like she was in the process of spawning, her tail fin was tattered, but still had a belly full. she was released back to finish making more lil piggies. caught in very shallow water, 2/3 fow. nice to see some of those piggies released back. good job guy, u know who u are……….

evileye
    Milan Il

Hats off to the guy that released her, Sportsmen like that, along with the new slot limits can only make the fishing better in the future.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.